Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230 onto an M41 Gearbox

Views : 4201

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2013, 22:29   #11
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Turbo side is least of the problems with clearance. The inlet side does have issues and needs either cutting about or use a K jetronic manifold with injector ports added
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 22:33   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Worth taking a look at this http://volvo1800pictures.com/0_car_p...67_94_2645.php
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 23:20   #13
DJS

Hello Gents.

Well, I trial fitted the engine today. It dropped in a treat. The turbo charger fitted into the right hand side of the engine perfectly. I've mailed pictures to Mitch already. I'll post them on the forum when I download from the phone.

On the inlet side I'm going to build my own plenum. This should be relatively easy, other than needing to spend a fair bit of time fabricating everything.

The next stage is to draw up the engine mounts, get them laser cut and weld them up.

I met a guy this evening who works with engine management systems and he's offered his assistance as and when required. This could be useful.

Classicsede, thanks for the link. It's one that turned up some time back. A nice conversion.

Right all, keep the ideas and thoughts coming.

Darren.
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJS For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 08:46   #14
Rick269

I have just gone through this conversion, well a B23ET into my RHD 122S, which is pretty much the same as B230FT. Starting from here:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=118503&page=7

I think you may run into problems with the rear mounted distributor?

The sump does indeed bolt straight on. You will have to use the B20 oil pump and you may have to bend the pickup tube a little to get it to line up as the mounting for the oil pump is on an angle compared to the B20.

I am using the M41 gearbox - for now. For the clutch, I used the original B23ET stepped flywheel and pressure plate. You will need a 10 spline clutch plate if you are going to use the M41. The B20 one is 8 1/2" and is too small for the 9" turbo pressure plate. A BMW one is 10 spline and fits as does a Chrysler one - from which models I can't remember.

I now wish I had the money to fit a Ford T5 from the start with a decent clutch as my M41 is a pain to drive on the freeways. I have slightly smaller 14" wheels and mine sits on close to 4000rpm at 110km/h. I am also getting major slip as soon as the clutch warms up making it impossible to take off fast. And I am running straight LPG so is probably down on power compared to a fuel injected B230 turbo.

I just went outside and took these pictures so you can see the clearance issues. There is only a finger width or so between the wastegate and the upper suspension arm bolt. It hasn't hit yet but I have new engine mounts and haven't been giving it much off the line due to the clutch issue. I will have to make an engine brace soon to stop the engine from moving.

Also, my alternator is down there as well right near the steering box. I could not find a spot to mount it over the other side as my distributor is in the way. Would have gone for the EDIS I had on the old pushrod motor but wasted spark is not compatible with LPG and can cause backfires.

You will need a custom intake manifold. I used one from an AQ125 Volvo Penta with the B23ET throttle body grafted on.

Have fun.

Rick269 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick269 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:14   #15
DJS

Hi Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. I've been following your thread for some time. You did a nice job.

I was talking to 940_Turbo (Peter) about clutch plates and covers before he sadly passed away.

So far, everything has dropped into place very easily. I need to make the engine mounts now. Attached are a couple of pictures. Not that interesting as yet, but I was pleased to find that I hade clearance around most items.

I've removed the distributor and will use Megasquirt to run things. I think we will also fabricate a plenum from scratch. That will come after the engine mounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130713_165101.jpg (201.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20130713_165225.jpg (192.6 KB, 38 views)
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:50   #16
Rick269

You have a bit more clearance than me, looks like the later model manifold mounts the turbo closer to the block or the turbo is slightly smaller.

Looking good so far. Is yours a later model? I just noticed the steering shaft has a pronounced bend in it and your brake line distribution block.
Rick269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 10:43   #17
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks for the info Rick. I'll most likely also copy Darren once everything is all worked out.

Dellow engineering in Oz do a bell housing to bolt on a Supra w58 and a R154 ( I think it is) gearbox so could be a nice option for you.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 10:53   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The later manifold brings the turbo in closer and the turbo is also much smaller
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 13:08   #19
DJS

Hi Rick,

Well spotted. The car is a 69 model.

I was surprised about the amount of clearance around the motor. As mentioned, to only bit that didn't work was the inlet, so I'll build a special one and do a copy for Mitch. Same with the engine mounts and the alternator bracket. The inlet is designed and I just need to refine the volume etc. We also need to find a throttle body that is suitable.

I'll set it up on the M40 box then look at making an adapter plate for the Tremec T5. I've got an M90 box, but it is massive.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 13:39   #20
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
Hi Rick,

Well spotted. The car is a 69 model.

I was surprised about the amount of clearance around the motor. As mentioned, to only bit that didn't work was the inlet, so I'll build a special one and do a copy for Mitch. Same with the engine mounts and the alternator bracket. The inlet is designed and I just need to refine the volume etc. We also need to find a throttle body that is suitable.

I'll set it up on the M40 box then look at making an adapter plate for the Tremec T5. I've got an M90 box, but it is massive.
Just a thought Re gearboxes,Given the cost of a T5 and bulk of an M90, the old Bedford CF ZF Five speeders are still vey compact, and seriously tough .I used to race on one behind a 350 Chevrolet.They also have a proper mechanical speedo drive. Surely some are out there still, lurking in ice cream vans or campers. Anyway, good luck with your modifications.
Regards, James.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post: