Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How long do (petrol) turbos last?

Views : 1725

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2018, 09:43   #11
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I've had turbocharged engines, various, including some high performance ones for many many years. I have always driven moderately for the last mile or two of the journey, stopped, switched off, and walked away.

No idea how many miles that represents, but a not insignificant number (I know I put 85,000 on an RB320, for instance). In all those miles I have never had an issue.

OTOH if you drive it like you stole it, and park up immediately, I think you'd deserve all you got!
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 11:42   #12
AndyV7o
Premier Member

That just it, Turbos have an indefinite service life highly dependent upon their treatment.
Look after them and (normally) theyll look atter you. High quality oil, regular servicing (ideally without extended oci's), let them slow and cool before switching off, dont labour diesels clogging them up with extra carbon, and so-on...
Sometimes the manufacturers themselves compromise turbos simply by design, which isnt a good start. Take the psa 1.6hdi for example.

Then on the other hand, you can get a crap turbo that dies anyway, like anything in life really.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Aug 19th, 2018 at 11:53.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 14:11   #13
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

I'd agree with the above, I know of a good few PSA XU series on well over 200k with original turbos, I've even heard of 16v DV series engines doing 300k (although this is obviously the exception!)

Our S80 is on 192k and I have no worries about the turbo letting go any time soon, but equally I do own an abused Xantia that has 130k and a dead turbo. Also had a Supra 3.0 turbo that suffered a hot-stop from high revs (autobox, hard acceleration and failed fuel pumps do not mix), in that case the turbine shaft actually sagged and went out of alignment, that turbo never made a pound of boost again...

Ultimately though, in normal everyday use a turbo will last as long as the rest of the engine. Just keep on top of oil quality and intervals, and be sensible with switching off after a run (refuelling at a motorway services is an example where I'd let the engine idle for a minute or two, but getting home on 30mph streets I'd switch straight off).

I have to wonder though, the newer generation of highly tuned small petrol turbos with stop/start technology, how are they going to be for turbo life? I'd suggest terrible.

Last edited by ma70; Aug 19th, 2018 at 14:15.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 14:52   #14
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yeah, the non dpf Dv series if seviced every 10k max On. The. Dot. with the correct oil, drained extensively, turbo allowed to cool/slow everytime, etc, from new, will be quite alright...
Its poor oil/slipshod servicing regime/lack of care/heat transfer from dpf (bolted directly to turbo) after switch-off, etc that quickly has a severe impact.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 22:42   #15
StatusRed
Premier Member

Been letting my Saab 9-5 run at idle speed for 30 seconds before turning it off, due to this advice I've read. Only owned it 2 months so can't comment on longevity this gives the turbo!

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 22:53   #16
Whyman
Premier Member

We never had a problem with the V70 T5s in Police use and the did arrive at high speed and switch off immediately so no chance for the turbo to slow down.

Regular oil changes and the correct spec of oil is the answer but allowing it to slow down will not do any harm.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 23:01   #17
AndyV7o
Premier Member

The people who bought them might possibly have a different story though!
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 09:38   #18
domhart10
Volvo S40

When getting my S40, the history was immaculate appart from the last year before I bought it (Looks like it was run cheap, no oil changes, budget tires etc) Not long after buying it at around 50k miles the turbo went, luckily was changed under warranty but dealer said it was probably due to lack of oil changes or previous owner flooring it and not letting the car cool down.

Since then the car has gone up to 125k miles and turbo still running good with regular oil changes every year. I let the car warm up and have never reved it from cold and when coming back I always let it cool down and either drive very slow towards the end of a trip or let the car sit for a while.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 11:00   #19
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma70 View Post
I have to wonder though, the newer generation of highly tuned small petrol turbos with stop/start technology, how are they going to be for turbo life? I'd suggest terrible.
That is a very good point, 'ma70'. We're squeezing more and more out of ever smaller engines in the interests of 'economy' when the cost of a replacement turbo would pay for a lot of the fuel that a less highly-tuned engine may consume.

This is also evident at all levels. Linda's N/A 3.0L V6 Saab has the same specific output and is no less economical than the 2.3L HPT that it replaced, but is a much more pleasant car to drive.

The 'holy grail' of fuel economy ignores many of the other equally significant costs of running a motor car.

Regards, John.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 11:15   #20
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
That is a very good point, 'ma70'. We're squeezing more and more out of ever smaller engines in the interests of 'economy' when the cost of a replacement turbo would pay for a lot of the fuel that a less highly-tuned engine may consume.

This is also evident at all levels. Linda's N/A 3.0L V6 Saab has the same specific output and is no less economical than the 2.3L HPT that it replaced, but is a much more pleasant car to drive.

The 'holy grail' of fuel economy ignores many of the other equally significant costs of running a motor car.

Regards, John.
Good points John (and ma70!).
Markos01 is offline   Reply With Quote