Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General Forum for the S40 / V50 '04> / C70 '06> /C30 '07> models.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo v50 2010/2011 engine difference?

Views : 759

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 13:17   #1
cozizme
New Member
 

Last Online: Jul 16th, 2017 18:53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Kerry
Default Volvo v50 2010/2011 engine difference?

Hi all,

I would like to know the difference between the 2004/2010 v50 1.6d drive engine and the newer 2011/2012 1.6d drive engine? If possible could anyone supply pictures of differences in the engine.

I am looking at becoming a first time Volvo owner and I am looking at a Volvo v50 1.6d drive SE MY10 car. The car looks and drives great but my mechanic who is very knowledgeable is telling me to stay clear of the earlier model engine due to sludging causing engine and turbo issues.

I would like to get pictures of the differences of the two engines so I could identify which engine is in the Volvo I was looking at.

Many thanks for any help supplied.

All the best.

Mike
cozizme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 16:44   #2
StatusRed
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 09:43
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Glasgow
Default

Don't get a diesel and avoid those issues completely
__________________
(59 reg) S40 SE Lux 2.0 Petrol Owner | 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate

e-Focus torque mount | Retrofitted undertray | Painted brake calipers | Braided steel brake lines
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 18:38   #3
volvo for ever
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 21:53
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: uk
Default

early 1.6 was a 76 engine 16 valve later one is 84 engine 8 valve both sluggish to be honest
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 18:38   #4
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde
 
Sasha94's Avatar
 

Last Online: Sep 11th, 2018 21:23
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangor, Gwynedd
Default

To answer the initial question here is the earlier 16v 110 bhp 1.6 DV6 diesel



And here is the later 8v 115 bhp 1.6 DV6 diesel



The easiest way to tell the difference is that the earlier cars have 5 gears and the later ones 6.

I wouldn't avoid a 16v per say, I've had a couple, many people in the trade spread rumours that the DV6 is less reliable than it actually is to drive down trade in prices. If you service them properly using gravity and a level and planar surface to drain the oil and not a suction pump they should be fine. My last one did over 200,000 miles with no issues. My current 8 valver is on 128k now and doing really well.

That said, I have to agree the petrol models have a habit of being substantially more worry free!!
__________________
2014 Skoda Octavia vRS with loads of toys!
ex 2012 V50 1.6D DRIVe SE Lux, 2008 XC70 D5 AWD SE Geartronic, 2004 S40 2.0D SE, 2008 C30 1.6 S & 2000 C70 2.0T
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 16:00   #5
cozizme
New Member
 

Last Online: Jul 16th, 2017 18:53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Kerry
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
early 1.6 was a 76 engine 16 valve later one is 84 engine 8 valve both sluggish to be honest
Thank you

Last edited by cozizme; Jul 15th, 2017 at 16:05.
cozizme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 16:04   #6
cozizme
New Member
 

Last Online: Jul 16th, 2017 18:53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Kerry
Default

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was after. I think it's best to go for the newer 84 engine and 6 gear speed, economy prevails!

Thanks again.
cozizme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 20:45   #7
cozizme
New Member
 

Last Online: Jul 16th, 2017 18:53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Kerry
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
To answer the initial question here is the earlier 16v 110 bhp 1.6 DV6 diesel



And here is the later 8v 115 bhp 1.6 DV6 diesel



The easiest way to tell the difference is that the earlier cars have 5 gears and the later ones 6.

I wouldn't avoid a 16v per say, I've had a couple, many people in the trade spread rumours that the DV6 is less reliable than it actually is to drive down trade in prices. If you service them properly using gravity and a level and planar surface to drain the oil and not a suction pump they should be fine. My last one did over 200,000 miles with no issues. My current 8 valver is on 128k now and doing really well.

That said, I have to agree the petrol models have a habit of being substantially more worry free!!
Sorry one last question if you don't mind?

The Volvo v50 1.6d 2011/2012 drivE model seems to have a 16 valve engine. Is this similar to the 2004-2010 1.6d engine and if so, is it troublesome and is an 8v engine the way to go?
cozizme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 14:34   #8
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde
 
Sasha94's Avatar
 

Last Online: Sep 11th, 2018 21:23
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangor, Gwynedd
Default

The DRIVe engine changed over to the 8 valve unit when the D2 it is based on came out in late 2010. MY11 & 12 DRIVe cars with 6 gears use the 8 valve engine.

Also I have to be honest, I have had better MPG from my 16 valve units than I get from my current 8 valver but one of them was re mapped and it went really well and got great MPG. You can't remap the 8 valve for as much power and they are slightly strangled in terms of power delivery out of the box and there's not an awful lot you can do to improve MPG and power on an 8 valve. Then again, I'm not the best person to talk to about fuel economy, my other car is a 400 bhp AMG Mercedes V8 so everything else I drive is woefully underpowered in comparison!! I get just about 50 MPG out of mine but I bought it for the spec and the free rfl
__________________
2014 Skoda Octavia vRS with loads of toys!
ex 2012 V50 1.6D DRIVe SE Lux, 2008 XC70 D5 AWD SE Geartronic, 2004 S40 2.0D SE, 2008 C30 1.6 S & 2000 C70 2.0T
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 18:07   #9
cozizme
New Member
 

Last Online: Jul 16th, 2017 18:53
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Kerry
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha94 View Post
The DRIVe engine changed over to the 8 valve unit when the D2 it is based on came out in late 2010. MY11 & 12 DRIVe cars with 6 gears use the 8 valve engine.

Also I have to be honest, I have had better MPG from my 16 valve units than I get from my current 8 valver but one of them was re mapped and it went really well and got great MPG. You can't remap the 8 valve for as much power and they are slightly strangled in terms of power delivery out of the box and there's not an awful lot you can do to improve MPG and power on an 8 valve. Then again, I'm not the best person to talk to about fuel economy, my other car is a 400 bhp AMG Mercedes V8 so everything else I drive is woefully underpowered in comparison!! I get just about 50 MPG out of mine but I bought it for the spec and the free rfl
Thanks. The reason I was unsure about the 8v/16v engine was due to the autotrader.co.uk website advertising the 2011/2012 DRIVe 1.6d cars as 16 valves in the tech spec section under performance and economy. This must be a mistake on their part.
cozizme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cozizme For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 18:27   #10
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde
 
Sasha94's Avatar
 

Last Online: Sep 11th, 2018 21:23
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangor, Gwynedd
Default

If it's a 1.6 with 6 gears it's definitely an 8 valve. I'm not sure how AutoTrader find the info at times but it is wrong on occasion
__________________
2014 Skoda Octavia vRS with loads of toys!
ex 2012 V50 1.6D DRIVe SE Lux, 2008 XC70 D5 AWD SE Geartronic, 2004 S40 2.0D SE, 2008 C30 1.6 S & 2000 C70 2.0T
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
1.6d, drive, engine, photos, v50


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:20.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.