Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hill hold?

Views : 1740

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2018, 11:26   #1
Steff79

Default Hill hold?

Hi,

I have a 2015 D4 auto should this have some kind of hill hold as it doesn't appear too.

If I am stopped on a hill with my foot on the brake and the stop start active, when I go to pull away the car will roll back slightly while the engine restarts.

Obviously if the stop start hasn't stopped the engine then the gearbox will stop it rolling backwards.

On my 2014 V60 D4 manual, the brake/handbrake will automatically hold the car for a couple of seconds while you release the clutch.

I am surprised that a higher spec V70 doesn't have similar.

Steff
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 12:05   #2
PJordan

I have found with stop/start enabled the hill start assist does not work, that is why I always deactivate stop/start at the beginning of every journey as I prefer to have the hill start assist.

I wish Volvo would rectify this glitch!
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 12:24   #3
Steff79

thanks.

Seems very poor to claim a car has hill start assist and then for it not to work when you leave the car to its own devices. I'm taking it in for some warranty issues so have mentioned this, I wonder if there's an up date.

I agree, it seems to make much smoother progress with it disengaged, just feels wrong these days to be sat in traffic with the engine running.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 13:44   #4
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffan Eldred View Post
Hi,

I have a 2015 D4 auto should this have some kind of hill hold as it doesn't appear too.

If I am stopped on a hill with my foot on the brake and the stop start active, when I go to pull away the car will roll back slightly while the engine restarts.

Obviously if the stop start hasn't stopped the engine then the gearbox will stop it rolling backwards.

On my 2014 V60 D4 manual, the brake/handbrake will automatically hold the car for a couple of seconds while you release the clutch.

I am surprised that a higher spec V70 doesn't have similar.

Steff
Agreed, I'm very much in the habit of 'bumping' the car back to life before I let go of the brake otherwise it gets a bit hairy!
seanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 13:51   #5
Steff79

Thanks.

Funny, you'd think an auto would enable smoother progress, but I actually find the combination of the auto and start stop more jerky than my v60 manual with start stop.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 13:59   #6
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Something else I would like is if the EPB is on, it disengages the Poweshift clutch so it is not wearing it out the clutch . I know the clutch is partially engaged when the handbrake is holding the car because if I stop with the footbrake and then apply the handbrake, then take my foot off the brake pedal, the rear of the car hunches down as the clutch then engages. The clutch is only disengaged when the footbrake is on and the car is stationary.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 14:03   #7
Steff79

sounds like its a common complaint then.... and also that the dealer wont have any sort of update they can do under warranty! shame
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 14:05   #8
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
Something else I would like is if the EPB is on, it disengages the Poweshift clutch so it is not wearing it out the clutch . I know the clutch is partially engaged when the handbrake is holding the car because if I stop with the footbrake and then apply the handbrake, then take my foot off the brake pedal, the rear of the car hunches down as the clutch then engages. The clutch is only disengaged when the footbrake is on and the car is stationary.
If often wondered what the Geartronic does when the EPB is applied, as the car is held firmly in place by the brake, so does that mean the gearbox is just trying to fight it or is it clever enough to shift to neutral?
seanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 21:35   #9
Tatsfield
Premier Member

It does what most drivers seem to do; leaves the transmission in Drive and holds the car on the parking brake. When you hit the throttle it releases the brakes and off you go. I know that you are not supposed to hold the transmission back with the brakes when stationary but since the car does this I can only assume that it isn't the terrible sin that I was told it was.
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 22:42   #10
ShadeTek
Premier Member

On a "normal" torque converter automatic it would be the case that the engine is connected to the powertrain when sitting with any brake on when drive is applied. But on the powershift gearbox, which is essentially a manual box with some automation and two clutches, when the footbrake is on it will dis-engage the clutch to save it from overheating when in drive.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote