Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ring gaps

Views : 1680

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2018, 08:26   #1
Sam1275

Default Ring gaps

Does anyone know the maximum ring gap for a b230? Or where to get oversized pistons from in the uk that aren't rediculous money.

I have a ring gap of 0.030 at the top of the bore and 0.018 in the center so i think im at the maximum limit of bore wear.

The car didnt smoke and pulled well before i removed the engine. Its going in a project car and i would like it to last

Thanks
Sam1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 10:09   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Are you talking about mm or thou? There's a big difference!

Have a look at Pg14 of this pdf, it should tell you all you need to know but if you have that much variation in ring gap in the normal swept area of the cylinder wall, i think a rebore would be a good idea. Volvo might be surprisingly cheap on pistons, alternatively try Rock Auto in the USA.

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...DataPocket.pdf

https://www.rockauto.com/

Good luck with it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 10:18   #3
mjk164
VOC Member

Minimum ring gap tolerances should be observed in order to prevent the ring ends from butting together as the ring expands when the engine approaches operating temperature. The ring makers recommend a minimum of .0035" gap per inch of cylinder diameter. So for the red block b230, 3.7" (bore) x .0035 = .013" minimum gap. To check ring gap, the rings should be placed at the lowest possible part of the cylinder (below ring travel area) as this is the portion of the cylinder that is unworn and which the ring is sized for. Checking ring gap in the worn portion of the cylinder will show a gap increase in direct relation to the amount of cylinder wear present.
If the pistons have not seized in the past, you may find that the pistons are OK but only the rings need renewal. The usual recommendation is a maximum wear of about .003" per inch of cylinder diameter so for your b230 that would be about 0.013 plus about .012 = .025"...measured at the bottom of the cylinder bore. Yours is .030" at the top and it will be get less as you measure down the cylinder. Parts of the cylinder and rings are about on the limits of wear but, as you say, it pulls well and doesn't smoke.
You could leave it as it is. But if the engine is coming out for another use and your pockets are deep, you will end up with a re-bore, new pistons and rings, check the crankshaft bearings etc etc etc.
The choice is yours.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 11:11   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1275 View Post
Does anyone know the maximum ring gap for a b230? Or where to get oversized pistons from in the uk that aren't rediculous money.

I have a ring gap of 0.030 at the top of the bore and 0.018 in the center so i think im at the maximum limit of bore wear.

The car didnt smoke and pulled well before i removed the engine. Its going in a project car and i would like it to last

Thanks
I would be inclined to leave the pistons they are the very highest quality Mahle and don't really wear fit new rings if you like .. it was ok before so leave well alone .. you cant determine any bore wear without measuring them properly ..
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 13:09   #5
Jimsiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I would be inclined to leave the pistons they are the very highest quality Mahle and don't really wear fit new rings if you like .. it was ok before so leave well alone .. you cant determine any bore wear without measuring them properly ..
Very true, you need the proper tools and know how to correctly use them. Telescopic bore gauges and a quality set of external micrometers (not vernier/digital calipers) will do the job, there are far more sophisticated measuring techniques out there but this is the way most machinists still do bore measurements today.
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 19:47   #6
Sam1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I meant where can i get oversized pistons from that aren't rediculously expencive not std ones the bore was measured with new rings from Hastings and is the quickest and easiest way of determining bore taper i have found
Sam1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam1275 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 20:40   #7
Jebus
VOC Member

Classic Sweede would be a good guy to speak to

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 21:30   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

As far as I know the only person to stock new pistons!

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/B230_..._18275842.aspx

Other sizes available
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote