Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Message "on call - service required"

Views : 70089

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2020, 13:37   #71
seandodwell

So.. Finally got around to taking out the radio/AC panels, to see what's afoot with the PHM.

Found the battery, and read the voltage across both sets of wires via the connector. Both indicate 2v, so a new battery for me. Phoned Volvo they want an eyewatering £230.00 plus VAT or a new one then £78.00 to reset the counter, once Ive fitted the new battery. I tried contacting the manufacturer of the battery(see photo). but they've gone out of business. Anyone know where i can get one cheaper or an alternate type sadly the Amp aren't shown so need some more info to find a substitute, I can always solder the connector back on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (176.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (178.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (176.7 KB, 33 views)
seandodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 16:25   #72
Steviefix

Just resurrecting this old post. I must confess I still haven't got rid of the "on call service required" message. It was all to easy to just press the end of the stalk and continue reading "inst mpg" etc. also my laptop that had vida on it went pop over a year ago.
I managed to eventually get vida up and running once again on another laptop and thought I'd have another crack at solving this problem.
I have attached the vida read-outs below. I am fairly sure my battery is ok, last year I bench tested it out of the car and it easily had 6v and these batteries are known to hold their charge well.
I ticked the box and reset the voltage charge % and it reset fine.
I was hoping that would clear the message, it didn't.
I will go back to the car tomorrow and hook up vida again.
Meanwhile I am having a look at some online tutorials of how to work through vida and I know I didn't erase all the codes as one tutorial showed, perhaps that's a step that I should have done.
Also I see there may be some cable issues with the hand set I need to check out.
I would be grateful for some more advice on clearing this message from those who have had success with it ...unless most of us are just putting up with the blasted message every time we turn the key
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201021_125157.jpg (357.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201021_131647.jpg (317.8 KB, 22 views)
Steviefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 21:22   #73
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviefix View Post
Just resurrecting this old post. I must confess I still haven't got rid of the "on call service required" message. It was all to easy to just press the end of the stalk and continue reading "inst mpg" etc. also my laptop that had vida on it went pop over a year ago.
I managed to eventually get vida up and running once again on another laptop and thought I'd have another crack at solving this problem.
I have attached the vida read-outs below. I am fairly sure my battery is ok, last year I bench tested it out of the car and it easily had 6v and these batteries are known to hold their charge well.
Meanwhile I am having a look at some online tutorials of how to work through vida and I know I didn't erase all the codes as one tutorial showed, perhaps that's a step that I should have done.
Also I see there may be some cable issues with the hand set I need to check out.
I would be grateful for some more advice on clearing this message from those who have had success with it ...unless most of us are just putting up with the blasted message every time we turn the key

Re. the battery there is a bug in the calculating algorithm , the battery is most likely fine if it measures 3v you need to reset the counter in the PHM via VIDA and say yes that a new battery has been fitted , Its always worth getting the latest software too .
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 07:28   #74
tommym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviefix View Post
Hi M8, I've got the same problem but unfortunately with S60II where battery is 4V and it's TLM-1550 type - unreachable (Volvo £100, original £40), but in your case - it should be fine to buy two CR26500 3V batteries and put them together to get 6V, they're slightly larger in size but as far as I know they fit fine, reset the counter afterwards and you should be fine. and their cost should be around £20
tommym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommym For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 15:25   #75
boombox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need to reset the counter in the PHM via VIDA and say yes that a new battery has been fitted , Its always worth getting the latest software too .
I've got this "on call" service required message. The phone works fine...

Clan - couple of questions if I may?

1) is it true the icarsoft i906 can do this as well as VIDA? The reset bit I mean
2) Getting the latest sw - is that a dealer only thing?

thank you!
boombox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 15:41   #76
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
I've got this "on call" service required message. The phone works fine...

Clan - couple of questions if I may?

1) is it true the icarsoft i906 can do this as well as VIDA? The reset bit I mean
2) Getting the latest sw - is that a dealer only thing?

thank you!
i don't know about the icarsoft 906 ask their technical department ...

I have the icarsoft V2.0 volvo with the recent software upgrade

Car software upgrades can only be done at an Authorised Volvo workshop ...
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 18:35   #77
DJT

I have been trying to get the 'On-call deactivated' message removed and contacted Volvo UK.
After many emails, they kindly offered £100 towards 'diagnostics' and the removal.
I have just collected my car from my local 'stealer', Marshall Volvo in MK.
They say that the PHM reserve battery is faulty and needs to be replaced before they can remove the message. At £394.21 for the battery!!!
I asked why they couldn't have replaced the battery, removed the message and then put my battery back in? The reply was that as I had fitted a Legend unit in place of the Volvo stereo, the 'technician' didn't know how to remove the centre console! It's the Volvo fitted one!!!
The PHM reserve battery is apparently behind the CD multichanger in the centre console!
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 21:38   #78
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
I have been trying to get the 'On-call deactivated' message removed and contacted Volvo UK.
After many emails, they kindly offered £100 towards 'diagnostics' and the removal.
I have just collected my car from my local 'stealer', Marshall Volvo in MK.
They say that the PHM reserve battery is faulty and needs to be replaced before they can remove the message. At £394.21 for the battery!!!
I asked why they couldn't have replaced the battery, removed the message and then put my battery back in? The reply was that as I had fitted a Legend unit in place of the Volvo stereo, the 'technician' didn't know how to remove the centre console! It's the Volvo fitted one!!!
The PHM reserve battery is apparently behind the CD multichanger in the centre console!
you need to get the ON Call registered to your name if that's what you meant?
The Battery low "thing" has been around for nearly 20 years now ! They should know all they have to do is reset the battery level in the Phone Module. It is a very special very long life battery .
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 12:07   #79
DJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need to get the ON Call registered to your name if that's what you meant?
The Battery low "thing" has been around for nearly 20 years now ! They should know all they have to do is reset the battery level in the Phone Module. It is a very special very long life battery .
Don't want it registered, just want the blasted 'On-call Deactivated' message gone.
My local stealer said they couldn't do anything as I had fitted a Legend unit.
Bloody useless arseholes!
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 12:10   #80
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Don't want it registered, just want the blasted 'On-call Deactivated' message gone.
My local stealer said they couldn't do anything as I had fitted a Legend unit.
Bloody useless arseholes!
what's a legend unit?