Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bought a 2010 XC90 2.4D SE

Views : 507

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2020, 20:33   #1
Lauriem
Lauriemills

Smile Just bought a 2010 XC90 2.4D SE

Hi guys.

Just bought my first ever Volvo!

I wanted a bigger car for grandkids etc, plus wanted some off road ability so picked up a 2010 XC90 at an auction for £3800. A bargain I know, but it has 125k on the clock and the interior is a bit tired, but I am happy to spend a bit to make it look better.

It’s due an MOT so it’s in tomorrow to my trusted Indy garage for an MOT and service but want to make sure he/we cover all bases to get this car where it needs to be. The car has a pretty good service record with 7 stamps, (4 Main dealer, up to 4 years 60k miles) and three from independent dealers in London, the last but one stating “full service”. It’s last service was in July 2019 at 116k miles. I only have the service book, no receipts descriptions of work etc.

There are two check engine warnings, one saying “Normal Service required”, one saying “Engine Service Required” with a red triangle.

Will get the garage to do the usual stuff e.g. oil, all filters (oil, air, cabin, fuel etc), plus usual inspection stuff.

I was wondering about doing the gearbox oil and filter as I have read that this is a good idea. I am not sure about the cam belt/tensioner/water pump but thought it worth doing these as well just to be on the safe side.

Any advice on oil (brand, viscosity etc), gearbox fluid, etc etc would be appreciated.

I also want to add Bluetooth connectivity as it’s not on the car, so any advice there too would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Laurie
Lauriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 20:49   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

At that milage it should have had the timing belt replaced, so check for that. It is also a good idea to swap the aux belt (and tensioner) at the same time. If the aux belt breaks it will almost certainly go into the timing belt and wreck the engine. It happened to two members here last week!
Don't change the water pump (as long as it is original Volvo) unless it is leaking, which it won't be.

Normal Service Required means just that. Engine Service Required means there is a DTC.

I would change the gearbox oil. It will make a difference. Consult your manual for oil specs.

Don't forget the fuel filter. It can cause issues if it blocks.
Make sure the parking brake is working correctly.

You will love the car. Good luck

Last edited by gmonag; Oct 21st, 2020 at 20:51.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 21:57   #3
Lauriem
Lauriemills

Default Many thanks

Thanks for that, will keep you posted.
Lauriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 00:50   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriem View Post
Hi guys.

Just bought my first ever Volvo!

I wanted a bigger car for grandkids etc, plus wanted some off road ability so picked up a 2010 XC90 at an auction for £3800. A bargain I know, but it has 125k on the clock and the interior is a bit tired, but I am happy to spend a bit to make it look better.

It’s due an MOT so it’s in tomorrow to my trusted Indy garage for an MOT and service but want to make sure he/we cover all bases to get this car where it needs to be. The car has a pretty good service record with 7 stamps, (4 Main dealer, up to 4 years 60k miles) and three from independent dealers in London, the last but one stating “full service”. It’s last service was in July 2019 at 116k miles. I only have the service book, no receipts descriptions of work etc.

There are two check engine warnings, one saying “Normal Service required”, one saying “Engine Service Required” with a red triangle.

Will get the garage to do the usual stuff e.g. oil, all filters (oil, air, cabin, fuel etc), plus usual inspection stuff.

I was wondering about doing the gearbox oil and filter as I have read that this is a good idea. I am not sure about the cam belt/tensioner/water pump but thought it worth doing these as well just to be on the safe side.

Any advice on oil (brand, viscosity etc), gearbox fluid, etc etc would be appreciated.

I also want to add Bluetooth connectivity as it’s not on the car, so any advice there too would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Laurie
Yes, its a good idea to change the transmission fluid. Your vehicle will take JWS3309 spec transmission fluid (Don't use any other spec). Volvo branded fluid is expensive, but there's alternative options from brands like Mannol or Smith & Allen for example that sell the same spec fluid for a much cheaper price. Mannol in particular seems to be popular amongst Volvo owners, so you should have no issues using it.

Mannol (Look at the first two, a 10L drum & a 20L one if you want some more for future use)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...s3309&_sacat=0

Smith & Allen

https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...-aisin-warner/

With regards to engine oil, Volvo recommends Castrol 0W-30 A5/B5 spec. Replace the timing belt, aux belt & aux belt tensioner as soon as you possibly can (if there's no record of these parts being replaced that is). I'd also suggest using genuine Volvo parts if possible, not cheap aftermarket stuff. Get the garage to hook the car up to diagnostics to find out what the fault(s) is/are, as there must be some kind of fault(s) for the "Engine System Service Required" message to come up on the dash with the red triangle. Hopefully there isn't more than one fault code though, but there could well be. Diagnostics is your friend for that & hopefully its nothing too serious/costly.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Last edited by Kev0607; Oct 22nd, 2020 at 01:08.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 03:55   #5
paddy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
[...]
Mannol (Look at the first two, a 10L drum & a 20L one if you want some more for future use)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...s3309&_sacat=0
[...]
If you get a barrel, watch out that a tap is included. Last time I purchased one, the seller had a tap only included in his shop articles (for the same price). And without it's a PITA. Take a look at this video (forwarded to 3:22): https://youtu.be/-DxEmb-2s2A?t=212
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 14:23   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
If you get a barrel, watch out that a tap is included. Last time I purchased one, the seller had a tap only included in his shop articles (for the same price). And without it's a PITA. Take a look at this video (forwarded to 3:22): https://youtu.be/-DxEmb-2s2A?t=212
Trying to pour from a full 20L barrel like the guy in the video will guarantee getting fluid everywhere you don't want it.

I've used the large barrel several times with no tap and this works for me.
Tape kitchen towel to the barrel under the opening to soak up any minor spills that do occur.
Keep the barrel on the ground, bring a jug at a 45° angle up to the edge of the barrel opening and lean the barrel quickly to pour into the jug then quickly away to stop when done.
This will virtually eliminate spillage.

Once 5 or 6 litres have been poured from the barrel, you can then lift the barrel to pour.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 17:35   #7
paddy74

Yep that's the other way, but if you can get a tap "for free", you have to agree it's the easier way.

My seller lists his barrels without a tap, but if you take a look into his shop-only-auctions, the tap is included for the same price.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 17:48   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
Yep that's the other way, but if you can get a tap "for free", you have to agree it's the easier way.
Fair enough if you want or need it but it's not really for me.
I just see it as a solution for a problem I don't have.
You say it's a PITA. I don't.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 18:36   #9
paddy74

Now I get what you mean. One point will very well be, that I'm not the one for fine motor skills So in my case it's tap or 5l oil on the floor
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post: