Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T6 2010 - Oil level low warning

Views : 2099

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2020, 17:53   #1
yairw

Default XC60 T6 2010 - Oil level low warning

Hello all,
As the title suggests, I've bought the car knowing that there's a message on it that says Oil level low, it greatly reduced the price so I went for it.
I've replaced the oil with the correct recommended one, the correct amount and replaced the oil filter to a brand new original one, the problem stays.
Of course there's oil in the engine and there's zero leaks, it's the driest engine I ever saw.
The last owner said he just lived with that, but for me, it gives me small heart attacks, I rather have it fix.
Any suggestion where to begin? is that a known problem?
it never appears at start, only a few minutes into driving it suddenly appears, then vanishes on next start.

I've contacted my diagnoser friend that asked me to get him a wiring diagram so he can locate the oil level sensor and its wiring, which I intend to search for now (he lives far away, otherwise I'd just take the car to him).
Thanks in advance
yairw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 12:41   #2
yairw

After a few months of living with that warning on my dash, continuously checking the oil level and assuring its good, I dug a little deeper and found a Technical Journal about that warning, TJ No 24643, But this one is about having the warning and actually having low levels of oil, unlike my situation, I found a section there that refers to my situation:
"If the "Low oil level" or "Oil level low" message is on in the DIM but the oil level on the dipstick is not low, refer to TJ 24382."
I cannot find any mention of TJ 24382 anywhere, can someone direct me where I can find it?
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 20:57   #3
scbamber

I've just found this for you:
https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....382-2012-03-20

It looks as if you have to pay $6.00 to get it, but for peace of mind and finding the fix it may be worth it.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 09:05   #4
yairw

Thank you very much! you've been most helpful!
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 09:09   #5
yairw

Sadly, all my attempts to buy it failed, it might not be available anymore, every time I proceed to check out it clears the cart saying no item is chosen
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 19:08   #6
S60RDesign

I had this on my S60 and called Volvo Assist to be on the safe side, even though the oil was fine on the dipstick. The bloke said there was a tiny drip of oil on the oil level sensor - he wiped it down but said it would need a new sensor if that didn't work. The message cleared after a couple of days and haven't had it again since. I had a quote of £322 from a Volvo workshop to fix including fitting.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 15:48   #7
yairw

Thank you, the guy I bought it from said there's a faulty oil level sensor, but he said replacing it didn't solve the problem, so there's a big chance he didnt replaced it and only said he did, I'll give it a check, thanks again!
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 16:27   #8
yairw

I've managed to get my hands on TJ24382 and sadly I have no idea how to upload, so I will copy and paste the important stuff:

If anyone wants more info from that TJ, let me know and I will post it
Thanks to all who helped me get this!

SERVICE:
In the case of a customer complaint of this message, first check the oil level.
If the oil level is not at mid level or above, refer to TJ 24643. If the oil level is not at mid level or above AND
the vehicle is an XC60 with engine 90 (before 2012w10) or engine 99, then perform an ECM Upgrade AND
THEN follow the TJ 24643 for oil consumption diagnosis.
If the oil level is at mid level or above, do not replace any components! For XC60 with engine 90 (before
2012w10) or engine 99, perform an ECM Upgrade. For all other engines DO NOT REPLACE SENSOR (P/N
30757802). JUST DRAIN AND FILL WITH NEW ENGINE OIL ACCORDING TO VIDA SPECIFICATION.
The Following User Says Thank You to yairw For This Useful Post: