Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt and front seals

Views : 2216

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2020, 11:15   #21
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I'd probably agree about the advisability of using only genuine Volvo parts if I were less cynical about what that actually means nowadays.
If Volvo parts are actually made in the Volvo factory in Sweden, crafted by experienced operatives with years of experience, critically inspected and spot-tested, all work signed for by the individuals, before being packed in tamper-proof packages that are sealed, then yes, I'd wholeheartedly go along with paying twice the price.

But I suspect that all parts now are made by dozens of competing companies around the world, allegedly to Volvo-imposed standards, of various qualities, but are then put in "genuine" Volvo cartons and passed off as genuine Volvo items.
It would be a lovely world if Volvo items were still crafted in the old ways, but I suspect those days have gone.

So far as I can gather. Sadly Volvo parts have had some difficulties. Water pumps have been queried I think? Some exhaust systems have been queried I think? When I bought an exhaust system my usual dealer was diplomatic on that point, and I received a good system. It is well worth building a good relationship with a dealer who do give a fig.

Some parts have been said to be better from Volvo. Is it still true? I don't know. For example wiper blades are said to be of a grade to work well matched with the strength of Volvo wiper arms. Volvo have been said to supply uprated HT leads, they are Bougicord.

I do know from the forum that I bought a Volvo branded MAF from the dealer for less than a MAF bought by a member from another well known supplier of Volvo parts which turned out to be defective, and my new MAF has not given any problem. One exmple does not prove anything. But third party suppliers are not always the best choice.

I also remember in the forum a problem was eventually diagnosed by a breakdown mechanic as the fuel pump. (On a 700 series car?) That particular pump had to be fixed by a "kit" obtained by a dealer from Sweden. Classic Parts.

And then again. There are parts Volvo do not even supply now. We need third party suppliers also.

I am disappointed by the polarised views that appear to exist. Some members appear to assume that Volvo parts will be too expensive or not available. I prefer an open mind. And I may have said this before re Volvo parts departments. Use them or lose them.

Within reason and cost, I do prefer to see the Volvo name on parts fitted to my Volvo. .

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 21:19   #22
2011dandd

Cheers folks
Much appreciated.
2011dandd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2011dandd For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 06:38   #23
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011dandd View Post
Cheers folks
Much appreciated.
Good morn,

I'm sure you will have this job done in no time.

You should not take my recommendation about buying pattern gaskets (or any other part) for your car as advice, it is just what I do with my 40 year old car and it has worked well for me. I don't have a view on where other people buy spare parts - some think it worth paying the extra to get genuine Volvo parts, some don't: 'you pays your money and you takes your pick'.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 15th, 2020 at 06:52. Reason: Correction.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 12:12   #24
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Good morn,

I'm sure you will have this job done in no time.

You should not take my recommendation about buying pattern gaskets (or any other part) for your car as advice, it is just what I do with my 40 year old car and it has worked well for me. I don't have a view on where other people buy spare parts - some think it worth paying the extra to get genuine Volvo parts, some don't: 'you pays your money and you takes your pick'.

Good fortune,

Alan

Thank you for that useful post. 2011dandd will find that helpful.

My view remains simple. Keep an open mind. Forum experience can be surprising as to price and value. Avoid assumptions. Live long and prosper. Please don't tell those people who appear to might assume about price but ... sometimes Volvo parts are cheaper. Sometimes Volvo parts are the only ones available. O.K. sometimes it works the other way around. And as Clifford and me have said approx, Volvo parts might, or might not, be uprated quality now. I still say re Volvo dealers, some do give a fig, some stuff is available particularly from them and use them or lose them.

Comrade Stephen Edwin

EDIT. P.S. .... As I think I said this above. I bought my head gasket set from the engineers who gave T.L.C. to the head of my car's engine. That seemed like a good idea at the time. I do not regret that decision. Kushti. Above all. Keep an open mind.

Ahem. i do think one is better buying from either a dealer or a known seller offering mainly parts for Volvo. For example Parts for Volvo Online. Or Charlton Volvo. I do avoid random internet sellers .....

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 15th, 2020 at 12:42.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 21:12   #25
2011dandd

So I have everything off and cleaned up and ready to go, just waiting on a crank shaft seal to arrive as that was shot, and also a replacement power steering belt to arrive.

When putting the new belt on. Does it sit centrally on the gears?

Thanks for all the previous response and help.
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 21:29   #26
AndrewBrown

The timing belt snapped on me when I was out to B&Q

just got into their car park and it cut out wouldn't start...bugger

Lucky it was the B21 non interference motor, so what happened was I went across the street to the local UNIPART branch got a timing belt, they had 6
of em, got the tools out of the tool kit and changed the belt in the car park
took about half an hour the belt went on easy without removing the crank
pulley, put all the covers back on did the shopping in B&Q then drove home.

A few weeks later Unipart went out of business!!

The moral of the story is always keep an eye on the condition of your
cambelt and NEVER under any circumstances sell me a cam belt for a Volvo 245DL

I never told the wife it broke down she used to say I should get a better newer car but has come round to old classics

Imagine if it had on something modern and 16valve...cambelt snaps, Hello Scrapyard

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Oct 19th, 2020 at 21:34.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 21:55   #27
AndrewBrown

Quote:
So I have everything off and cleaned up and ready to go, just waiting on a crank shaft seal to arrive as that was shot, and also a replacement power steering belt to arrive.

When putting the new belt on. Does it sit centrally on the gears?

Thanks for all the previous response and help.
Look at this picture
https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Yeah the belt will sit centrally on the pulleys when you fit it but will find its own centre on the pulley when the engine is running it may move upto millimetre either way depending on the crank pulley position alignment with the cam pulley, but don't worry just make sure its central and I will sort its self out

see there is a white line on the belt, that line is supposed to go inline with the timing mark on the camshaft as you see in the picture, some belts have 2 lines close together then the timing mark on the pulley goes between them. this doesn't matter to the running of the engine where you put the line but is just there so you can see the timing is coming to the correct valve timing place when you are lining up the marks for whatever reason you would need to it saves faffing around in future.

But only if you fit it in the correct position in the first place, Im a bit of an OCD type about this kind of stuff.

the amount of belts I see not fitted on the marks
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 05:48   #28
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
The timing belt snapped on me when I was out to B&Q

just got into their car park and it cut out wouldn't start...bugger

Lucky it was the B21 non interference motor, so what happened was I went across the street to the local UNIPART branch got a timing belt, they had 6
of em, got the tools out of the tool kit and changed the belt in the car park
took about half an hour the belt went on easy without removing the crank
pulley, put all the covers back on did the shopping in B&Q then drove home.

A few weeks later Unipart went out of business!!

The moral of the story is always keep an eye on the condition of your
cambelt and NEVER under any circumstances sell me a cam belt for a Volvo 245DL

I never told the wife it broke down she used to say I should get a better newer car but has come round to old classics

Imagine if it had on something modern and 16valve...cambelt snaps, Hello Scrapyard
What an excellent story, well done! You did really well changing the cam belt in half an hour (having done it myself I don't think I could manage it that quickly). I think you must have removed the crank pulleys (for the alternator and PAS) though - but they are only held on by half a dozen little bolts.

Like you, I enjoy the simplicity of the B21a engine in the RB.

Alan
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 14:45   #29
2011dandd

Thanks for the great reply.

Wow half hour, I have just about stopped the head scratching and picked up a spanner after half an hour.

Folks please could someone tell me what torque to do the cam/intermediate shaft and crank shaft bolts up to?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 14:56   #30
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the great reply.

Wow half hour, I have just about stopped the head scratching and picked up a spanner after half an hour.

Folks please could someone tell me what torque to do the cam/intermediate shaft and crank shaft bolts up to?

Thanks in advance.

Dan
From the BofH (in Kgf.m):

Cam gear bolt: 5
Intermediate shaft: 5
Crank: 16.5

Alan