Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stunning V70 D5 SE 2006 looking for forever home

Views : 2154

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2020, 19:30   #11
740T
Master Member

Great honest advert. I’m currently helping a friend source a v70 and I’ve just sent him your link. He has a budget of 2k though, prices seem to vary greatly. But I said to him this is the kind of chap you want to buy from.

Last edited by 740T; Oct 7th, 2020 at 19:57.
740T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 740T For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 19:32   #12
MG68

It looks interesting.

When you say you have looked after it fastidiously - one glance at the MOT history suggests a long list of advisories?

For the money you are asking it should be advisory free surely?
MG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MG68 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 21:16   #13
icurnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie20 View Post
Lovely looking motor. If it had 7 seats, I'd be very tempted.
The 7 seats do pop up for sale - perhaps add them to the right motor?
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 21:18   #14
icurnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740T View Post
Great honest advert. I’m currently helping a friend source a v70 and I’ve just sent him your link. He has a budget of 2k though, prices seem to vary greatly. But I said to him this is the kind of chap you want to buy from.
Much appreciated. I'd suggest the wheels tyre comb have good added value. Plus the price difference compares well with the possible cost of getting a poor one upto spec and fixing issues... Hes very welcome to have a look if he wishes.
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 21:24   #15
icurnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG68 View Post
It looks interesting.

When you say you have looked after it fastidiously - one glance at the MOT history suggests a long list of advisories?

Most recent MOT was just only:
1. surface corrosion on all four springs... Id suggest this is absolutely normal on any car of this age, in my experience this can crop up on MOTs year after year with no impact.
2. Anti-roll bar pin/bush worn... It drives well though so not yet feeling the need to intervene.
I though those two observations were a really good MOT result, and really nothing to cause any concern. I certainly wouldn't be moving to replace all four springs...
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 23:38   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG68 View Post
It looks interesting.

I'm not looking to purchase a car, but as a member of this forum, I do view & reply to posts like others do. I also glimpse at the "for sale" sections/threads to see what bargains there may be & generally what's on offer... There's nothing wrong with that. There's no rule, to my knowledge, that says you can't reply to a thread whereby something is being offered for sale unless you're buying it either. On that basis, I'm offering my opinion to your post, even though I'm not a purchaser. Note, I'm not intending to be rude, I'm just being honest...

If you come to view a car I was selling, or phoned to enquire & mentioned advisories on an 14 year old car, I know what I'd tell you to do (I think you know what I'm implying here)...

Its a 14 year old vehicle with 144,000 miles, what do you expect exactly... Showroom condition?

Maybe you should be looking at cars with an extra zero on the end of the price tag... They might meet your "advisory free" requirements more. Its not a new car, in fact, its far from it. If you think you're going to get a car that's 14 years old with a sparkling clean history throughout its whole life for just shy of £3k, then you're living on another planet. Then again, you may find some, but I assure you that they're few & far between.

Clearly the most important advisories (major's) on the "list" have been addressed over the years & the ones that have been noted on the most recent MOT (minor's) are general wear & tear (To be expected on an 14 year old car I think). There's cars that are half the age, have half the miles & aren't as well looked after as this one! There's a pile of receipts too... This car clearly has had a lot of money spent on it. For you to question how the car was looked after by saying "one glance at the MOT history suggests a long list of advisories?" is a bit "below the belt" in my opinion (Considering the owner has probably spent thousands on maintenance throughout ownership).

If my car went through an MOT at 14 years old with an advisory for rusty springs & a worn suspension bush, I'd consider that good going to be honest. The major defects listed on the older MOT's that the car failed on originally have obviously been rectified for the car to go through another MOT & pass (This shows money has been spent on repairs, like I said before, otherwise the car would be off the road or gone to the scrap heap by now). The minor advisories listed on past & present MOT's don't affect the running of the car & its perfectly safe to drive the vehicle with them. The clue is in the name... "Minor defects - Monitor and repair if necessary". Those noted minor's aren't vitally important & don't need to be addressed immediately. If they did, the car wouldn't have passed the MOT.

The old saying "You can't please everyone" comes to mind here. The seller could have fixed every single thing on the car & you'd still have something to say about it, or so it seems anyway. If you were that interested, you'd put your money where your mouth was & make an offer (Taking into account your strict requirements), instead of basically telling the seller that you didn't think the car was well looked after by commenting on its history. I suggest you think about that.

To the original poster, your car is in great condition for its age & its a credit to you. I can see that you've put time into the advert, producing a good description & taking some nice pictures. I hope you get genuine interest, not tyre kickers and/or nit pickers like the above quoted poster that don't seem to appreciate what you're offering.

Best of luck with the sale.

Last edited by Kev0607; Oct 8th, 2020 at 01:43.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 09:37   #17
icurnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I'm not looking to purchase a car, but as a member of this forum, I do view & reply to posts like others do. I also glimpse at the "for sale" sections/threads to see what bargains there may be & generally what's on offer... There's nothing wrong with that. There's no rule, to my knowledge, that says you can't reply to a thread whereby something is being offered for sale unless you're buying it either. On that basis, I'm offering my opinion to your post, even though I'm not a purchaser. Note, I'm not intending to be rude, I'm just being honest...

If you come to view a car I was selling, or phoned to enquire & mentioned advisories on an 14 year old car, I know what I'd tell you to do (I think you know what I'm implying here)...

Its a 14 year old vehicle with 144,000 miles, what do you expect exactly... Showroom condition?

Maybe you should be looking at cars with an extra zero on the end of the price tag... They might meet your "advisory free" requirements more. Its not a new car, in fact, its far from it. If you think you're going to get a car that's 14 years old with a sparkling clean history throughout its whole life for just shy of £3k, then you're living on another planet. Then again, you may find some, but I assure you that they're few & far between.

Clearly the most important advisories (major's) on the "list" have been addressed over the years & the ones that have been noted on the most recent MOT (minor's) are general wear & tear (To be expected on an 14 year old car I think). There's cars that are half the age, have half the miles & aren't as well looked after as this one! There's a pile of receipts too... This car clearly has had a lot of money spent on it. For you to question how the car was looked after by saying "one glance at the MOT history suggests a long list of advisories?" is a bit "below the belt" in my opinion (Considering the owner has probably spent thousands on maintenance throughout ownership).

If my car went through an MOT at 14 years old with an advisory for rusty springs & a worn suspension bush, I'd consider that good going to be honest. The major defects listed on the older MOT's that the car failed on originally have obviously been rectified for the car to go through another MOT & pass (This shows money has been spent on repairs, like I said before, otherwise the car would be off the road or gone to the scrap heap by now). The minor advisories listed on past & present MOT's don't affect the running of the car & its perfectly safe to drive the vehicle with them. The clue is in the name... "Minor defects - Monitor and repair if necessary". Those noted minor's aren't vitally important & don't need to be addressed immediately. If they did, the car wouldn't have passed the MOT.

The old saying "You can't please everyone" comes to mind here. The seller could have fixed every single thing on the car & you'd still have something to say about it, or so it seems anyway. If you were that interested, you'd put your money where your mouth was & make an offer (Taking into account your strict requirements), instead of basically telling the seller that you didn't think the car was well looked after by commenting on its history. I suggest you think about that.

To the original poster, your car is in great condition for its age & its a credit to you. I can see that you've put time into the advert, producing a good description & taking some nice pictures. I hope you get genuine interest, not tyre kickers and/or nit pickers like the above quoted poster that don't seem to appreciate what you're offering.

Best of luck with the sale.
Thank you so much. Your spot on re the advisories for example last year it failed on handbrake tension due to stretched cables. I understand that my year does not have adjuster barrels in the hubs and that this addition can be a sort of fix for this problem, however I went the keep it original route and had all new cables fitted. I appreciate not everyone wishes to buy a car with MOT advisories however if this is the case perhaps buying new is the only way to go - clearly this costs somewhat more however.

Keep safe - Ian
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 16:54   #18
contrarian

This is a really nice car. A comparable example sold recently in my neck of the woods for a bit more than the asking price of this one.

Prices for these cars currently start at £1500 for a working example. Below this point they are usually pretty ropey or sold on a spares/repair basis. It's just not possible to buy one of these and bring it up to the standard of the car offered here for £3k. Not even close. I recently bought one I thought was too cheap to pass up. I was wrong.

Surface corrosion on coil springs is inevitable and not grounds for replacement. Many MOT testers won't bother giving an advisory for this. If the spring is fractured or snapped then obviously the vehicle fails the test.

I would also advise people not to put too much faith in the MOT history check. The absence of advisory notes does not guarantee anything. I know this from bitter experience.

Cheers
George

Last edited by contrarian; Oct 8th, 2020 at 17:00.
contrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to contrarian For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 17:52   #19
MG68

To the OP, there was certainly no offence intended on my previous post last night. I'm not sure where I said a 14 year old car should be showroom condition as one or two suggested afterwards.

Cared for examples of this model are in dwindling supply. Everyone knows that. Hence the price premium. Not to be confused with examples that might present well but have been neglected over the years and are in reality running sheds.

If it was mine (and I happen to have one in identical colour on an 05 plate, facelift, 163hp, one previous owner from new, mahoosive service history, Goodyear Vector 4 seasons all round just replaced etc.) I would be concentrating on the reasons why it is worthy of the price premium.

Major components that have been replaced outside of normal servicing? Last time the aux belt was replaced. When the gearbox oil was last flushed / how many times it has been flushed in its lifetime. Etc. Etc.

Simple things - the rear load cover? Is it present? For the asking price it should be.

(Mileage on these D5s is nothing if they have been serviced well, as yours clearly has - my previous V70 which I sold 3 years ago on a 53 plate was still going strong at 623K miles. It did have 4 Volvo Service books..)

All good wishes with the sale - no doubt that it will be snapped up!

Last edited by MG68; Oct 8th, 2020 at 18:46.
Old Oct 8th, 2020, 19:01   #20
MG68

Having had a look at your posting history here Ian C, there seems to be some additional history that prospective buyers can refer to.

It all helps with the provenance which can only be a really good thing.

All best wishes with the sale.

Last edited by MG68; Oct 8th, 2020 at 20:14.