Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stunning V70 D5 SE 2006 looking for forever home

Views : 2151

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2020, 23:23   #21
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG68 View Post
To the OP, there was certainly no offence intended on my previous post last night. I'm not sure where I said a 14 year old car should be showroom condition as one or two suggested afterwards.

Cared for examples of this model are in dwindling supply. Everyone knows that. Hence the price premium. Not to be confused with examples that might present well but have been neglected over the years and are in reality running sheds.

If it was mine (and I happen to have one in identical colour on an 05 plate, facelift, 163hp, one previous owner from new, mahoosive service history, Goodyear Vector 4 seasons all round just replaced etc.) I would be concentrating on the reasons why it is worthy of the price premium.

Major components that have been replaced outside of normal servicing? Last time the aux belt was replaced. When the gearbox oil was last flushed / how many times it has been flushed in its lifetime. Etc. Etc.

Simple things - the rear load cover? Is it present? For the asking price it should be.

(Mileage on these D5s is nothing if they have been serviced well, as yours clearly has - my previous V70 which I sold 3 years ago on a 53 plate was still going strong at 623K miles. It did have 4 Volvo Service books..)

All good wishes with the sale - no doubt that it will be snapped up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG68 View Post
It looks interesting.

When you say you have looked after it fastidiously - one glance at the MOT history suggests a long list of advisories?

For the money you are asking it should be advisory free surely?
You mentioned that the car has a long list of advisories & then used that as a way of implying that the car wasn't looked after fastidiously, as stated by the seller in the original post. Then you said that it should be "advisory free" for the price. So what exactly is it you expect? For just shy of £3k, I'd consider this to be fairly priced taking into account that its 14 years old with 144k... It will have niggles, like cars of this age do. Its like you want the best of both worlds, a cheap deal & literally nothing to fix... If that's the case, then I wouldn't suggest buying a used car & get something that definitely won't have any advisories (new or well up in the years with low miles, basically showroom condition). As it turns out, you went from saying "it looks interesting" & basically knocking the previous history to not being interested ...You changed your mind quick, how coincidental? A simple case of nit picking & then running for the hills when you were told springs to mind here, or you weren't interested in the first place of course.

I don't blame the seller for not replacing the corroded springs... There's no need to. As mentioned by another poster, the springs aren't fractured, so what's the point in replacing them? The only reason would be for looks in my opinion. What needed fixing (major defects) has been done & whatever minor defects have been listed have either been left because they're of no significance to the safe running of the car (like corroded springs), or they've been monitored & replaced as necessary at some point in time (like the windscreen for example, it wasn't an MOT failure & didn't need replacing instantly (minor), but was replaced in time anyway by the seller, indicating quality care & even more expenditure).

Last edited by Kev0607; Oct 8th, 2020 at 23:48.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 18:00   #22
icurnow

Default Happy new home now found

Car is now sold and has a loving new family. Quite emotional yesterday saying goodbye after a total of about 18 years of V70 ownership. I predict I might be back to Volvo at some time.

A big thank you to all the forum members who have helped over the years, your guidance has been simply invaluable. Do keep up the good work and I may see you again after the Touareg years... how many they will be has yet to be proven.

Best wishes, Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icurnow For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 19:14   #23
Kev0607
Premier Member

I knew the Volvo wouldn't for sale for too long.

Best of luck with the VW.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 20:44   #24
Millie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnow View Post
Car is now sold and has a loving new family. Quite emotional yesterday saying goodbye after a total of about 18 years of V70 ownership. I predict I might be back to Volvo at some time.

A big thank you to all the forum members who have helped over the years, your guidance has been simply invaluable. Do keep up the good work and I may see you again after the Touareg years... how many they will be has yet to be proven.

Best wishes, Ian
Proud new keeper here.

The car is every bit as nice as described. I put 300mi on her in the first 24hrs and she didn't miss a beat.

Credit to icurnow for his upkeep and attention. She'll be well looked after going forward.

And now to convert to 7 seats...
Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millie20 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2020, 16:51   #25
bogart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnow View Post

Best wishes, Ian
Yes dump the Touareg and get your self a proper car!
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote