Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hazard Warning Issue

Views : 1379

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2020, 13:34   #11
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaW9tLIlMJs

More likely the much small black box (solenoid/relay) shown at the front of your picture- see above video. You should also see the same reference number as yours.

(The larger silver box is part of the radio system:~ amplifier? or other)
Good luck Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Relay.jpg (5.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Oct 20th, 2020 at 13:42.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 15:38   #12
MrBloxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaW9tLIlMJs

More likely the much small black box (solenoid/relay) shown at the front of your picture- see above video. You should also see the same reference number as yours.

(The larger silver box is part of the radio system:~ amplifier? or other)
Good luck Bob.
Got it out, does anybody know if you can get replacements easily or is it a proprietary part
MrBloxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 16:01   #13
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBloxz View Post
Got it out, does anybody know if you can get replacements easily or is it a proprietary part
Just google the Volvo part number written on the side, it will come up with some alternatives.

PS. If it is the buzzer relay you need then the Volvo part # seems to be: 1258928 (1020465). Skandix stock it, but the postage is always a bit steep, so maybe try to find it somewhere in the UK (it will probably fit some other cars):

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...alarm/1020465/

Last edited by Othen; Oct 20th, 2020 at 16:16. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 16:42   #14
MrBloxz

Update again, so I've replaced the relay and the seatbelt warning light works more reliably than it was before and there is defiantly damage on the old relay however it hasn't fixed the hazard lights, there is still the buzzing sound coming from the new relay so I guess the issue is somewhere between the switch and the relay, any ideas?

122229214_10217789216509547_9139948679707915964_o.jpg

Theres a photo of the old relay pins
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 16:52   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Update again, so I've replaced the relay and the seatbelt warning light works more reliably than it was before and there is defiantly damage on the old relay however it hasn't fixed the hazard lights, there is still the buzzing sound coming from the new relay so I guess the issue is somewhere between the switch and the relay, any ideas?

Attachment 131215

So you have replaced the buzzer relay with a new one but that has not fixed the problem. Rather than replace parts pretty randomly I'd recommend working your way through the two circuits (hazard/indicators and seat belt/door), eliminating things as you go until you find the problem.

I posted the wiring diagrams for you a couple of days ago. They are pretty simple circuits, so it shouldn't take too long.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 17:14   #16
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

That Skandix part looks different and is described as relay main light vibration alarm.

The part in the photograph is I think a flasher unit made by Hella. Not a cheap item anywhere. Chapest price I've found for a new item on a quick look is from Latvia.

Cheapest UK price I've found so far is from a Volvo dealer. I don't know if that is still a Hella part. They can deliver "overnight".

I have no idea if that little black box is the problem. Surely if that was the problem would not the indicators be not working correctly?

Did someone mention the hazard lights switch? Is that fully plugged in to the car's wiring?

Stephen

EDIT:

Yes Bob mentioned the hazard lights switch. Is that switch OK on the car?

And. Where has that relay got to, mentioned by Andrew? Can its wiring be found and followed to find the relay?

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 20th, 2020 at 17:21.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 07:48   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Attachment 131215

I'm a bit confused as to whether you are changing the buzzer relay (which is the one Andrewbrown suggested) or the flasher relay OP.

Anyway, enough comment from me on this matter. I hope you manage to fix the problem.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 21st, 2020 at 08:36.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 12:41   #18
MrBloxz

Ok, I've checked the wiring diagram that you kindly posted and things aren't adding up, the fuze usages don't correspond to what is on the back of my fuze box cover and I'm looking at the back of my hazard warning light and the colours of the wires also don't add up, I have a 1993 Torslanda, are they known to be so different?

122201295_10217793820544645_2404094842123096466_o.jpg

As for the buzzing, all the noises are coming from the flasher relay for the hazards/indicators, there is no other relay making noise and I can't find the seatbelt warning buzzer relay anywhere
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBloxz For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 13:35   #19
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Ok, I've checked the wiring diagram that you kindly posted and things aren't adding up, the fuze usages don't correspond to what is on the back of my fuze box cover and I'm looking at the back of my hazard warning light and the colours of the wires also don't add up, I have a 1993 Torslanda, are they known to be so different?

Attachment 131234

As for the buzzing, all the noises are coming from the flasher relay for the hazards/indicators, there is no other relay making noise and I can't find the seatbelt warning buzzer relay anywhere

Wiring diagrams must be different between your 1993 car and earlier cars. Wiring diagrams can be useful including to find wire colours and what components ae involved.
Who knows what might have changed. Is life.

Some practical points:

Has anything changed, or anything else failed, at or before the problem was noticed?

Have you followed up the points made by Bob and by Andrew? The strength of this forum is largely based upon members with established experience of the 240.

Stephen.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 14:42   #20
MrBloxz

Hi Steven, I've not had anything else change recently, I know some rewiring must have been done because my car was converted to electric windows at some point in its past

I just took the hazard switch apart, everything in there seems OK

122333249_10217794644005231_7528170661438660150_n.jpg

122308146_10217794643325214_5878017685876322688_n.jpg

122505113_10217794643765225_139456418321974106_n.jpg

Will try and find the mystery buzzer relay and the solenoid for the Hazard/Indicators and check that
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBloxz For This Useful Post: