Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Yet another senior moment????

Views : 833

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2020, 12:55   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default Yet another senior moment????

My 2015MY V70 D5 is puzzling me. The round fan control knob with the central push bit, I'm sure used to switch on and off the auto climate control. The only way the auto control can now be deactivated is by pressing the A/C button to off, and rotating the fan control button to nil fan. The auto climate then switches off.
Am I remembering things incorrectly, or do I have a minor fault??

Cheers

Bob ( i think )
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 16:02   #2
FreshAir

I expect if you manually select where the air is diverted to (windscreen, feet etc) , it will also take it out of the auto mode as the auto mode also directs the air to where it thinks you will need it.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 20:21   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I expect if you manually select where the air is diverted to (windscreen, feet etc) , it will also take it out of the auto mode as the auto mode also directs the air to where it thinks you will need it.
Yes, use of the air divert shuts down the auto mode, but I thought pushing the rotary fan switch also switched the auto mode on/off....except mine don't. .and I thought it used to???

Cheers Bob
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 22:37   #4
Sotosound
Premier Member

The rotary part of the fan switch manually controls fan speed and use of it therefore switches off automatic climate control inasmuch as fan speed is now being manually controlled.

Manually controlling fan speed doesn’t, however, switch off AC unless you turn fan speed down to zero, which then turns off everything.

Turning fan speed up again restores ventilation and AC under manual control.

Pressing the button in the middle of the fan control restores automatic climate control and cancels out any manual overrides that have been used.

(Tried this out after seeing your post.)
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 09:00   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
The rotary part of the fan switch manually controls fan speed and use of it therefore switches off automatic climate control inasmuch as fan speed is now being manually controlled.

Manually controlling fan speed doesn’t, however, switch off AC unless you turn fan speed down to zero, which then turns off everything.

Turning fan speed up again restores ventilation and AC under manual control.

Pressing the button in the middle of the fan control restores automatic climate control and cancels out any manual overrides that have been used.

(Tried this out after seeing your post.)
Been out to the car this am and tried all the above. Mine is the same..
BUT
when I press the central part of the fan control button... I can switch the auto climate control ON but not OFF...and I'm sure that in the past I could switch if OFF by pressing the central bit of that button....
Yes, perhaps I'm cracking up ( I'm blaming lockdown) but that is what I genuinely think. I'm cheered by the fact that 50+ viewers appear to be in the same boat as me and don't know the answer either

Cheers
Bob
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 10:34   #6
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Been out to the car this am and tried all the above. Mine is the same..
BUT
when I press the central part of the fan control button... I can switch the auto climate control ON but not OFF...and I'm sure that in the past I could switch if OFF by pressing the central bit of that button....
Yes, perhaps I'm cracking up ( I'm blaming lockdown) but that is what I genuinely think. I'm cheered by the fact that 50+ viewers appear to be in the same boat as me and don't know the answer either

Cheers
Bob
What does your handbook say?
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 17:09   #7
Spike56
Master Member

Climate control switches off only by reducing or increasing the fan. Climate control, controls everything...fan speed, temperature and point of vents. The button turns climate control on. A/C button turns the a/c on or off. If you turn the fan up or down you then have to direct the heat by the 'body' control. A very simple system made infuriating!!!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 09:24   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
What does your handbook say?
Tried there first - inconclusive to my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
Climate control switches off only by reducing or increasing the fan. Climate control, controls everything...fan speed, temperature and point of vents. The button turns climate control on. A/C button turns the a/c on or off. If you turn the fan up or down you then have to direct the heat by the 'body' control. A very simple system made infuriating!!!
All things considered putting this down as a "senior moment" like when you go into a room and forget why you went there, or lower the car and you still have that second safety axel stand under the car!

Thanks to all contributors, you can laugh with me or at me,
Cheers
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 11:43   #9
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Tried there first - inconclusive to my mind...

All things considered putting this down as a "senior moment" like when you go into a room and forget why you went there, or lower the car and you still have that second safety axel stand under the car!

Thanks to all contributors, you can laugh with me or at me,
Cheers
Bob
With.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 16:23   #10
Maurice Mynah
New Member and total Prat

Well, I for one have learned quite a bit on this thread, so thanks all.
Senior moment? For a Volvo driver? Is there such a thing?
The Following User Says Thank You to Maurice Mynah For This Useful Post: