Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio Connector

Views : 1607

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 22:07   #1
md1881

I have just purchased a 1996 440 1.8si. I would like to repace the original factory fitted radio. Is the connection a standard (ISO) type or do volvos have there own type of connection.

Thanks in advance for any help

Michael
Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:50   #2
Mav_UK

Volvos have their own conenction. Cables for 440 loom to ISO connector are 10 quid (I did this to my 18.i '96 about 7 months ago). Most ICE dealers should be able to advise and sell. (But I'd suggest ICS in Leicester www.mcs-direct.co.uk (I think))

Regards

Stu
Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:50   #3
karlos

I changed the original radio with a Sony unit on my 1995 440 1.8i Si a while back.

A standard ISO connector came with it. I looked around first to see which units came with one as not all are supplied with one because not all units need one.

The Volvo connection as far as I can see (compared to a VW polo and a Fiesta) is the standard one, with two rectangular plugs with cheeky little clips (tough to get off if been attached for years!) roughly 4cm by 1cm each, one for the speakers and one for the power, aerial and memory etc.

The ISO connector simply converts the connections in the back of the new unit to a standard fitting, i.e. the two plug comnnections.

Correct me if I am wrong but thats the way it worked for me!

One thing to note is that you can usually operate the radio without the ignition on and with the key out in 440s, so when you fit the new unit it you have to turn it fully off (i.e. twice in my case). Mine remains on with a backlit display and a clock, could sup the battery if left for a while!

You will probably find that the Volvo speakers are enough as the standard 6-speaker system is pretty good.

Good Luck!

A CD player is very handy to eat up motorway miles!
Old Oct 21st, 2002, 14:53   #4
Mav_UK

Standard 6 speaker? Holland missed out then, I have the 18 Luxury with lots of toys and that only came with 2 crappy speakers in the front doors........

Stu
Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:50   #5
karlos

I have two in the front doors, two in the rear shelf side panels and two small 'tweeters' in the windscreen pillars.

It could have been an extra on some trim levels but the Si models and 95 onwards models I have seen have them.

The sound quality is quite good. But then I got a lift in an 850 with dolby surround sound and all the bells and whistles and got quite jealous, sad but true.

One thing's for sure they all sound the same at 70mph!

Karl
Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 22:42   #6
md1881

Thanks for the advice,

Michael
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:28   #7
samk

Default e: Radio Connector / Radio Wiring

For a noob like myself, how would I switch the wiring for the Volvo radio (VC602 on a '96 440 LE) so that the radio is linked to the ignition i.e. turns off when car is off. Reason I ask is I installed an aftermarket stereo with harness and the following day, battery was dead (annoying!). I tried switching 12V batt wire and ACC wire on the harness (which has the requisite fuses), still to no avail. Any advice for fella like me?R
samk is offline   Reply With Quote