Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

480 radio

Views : 1252

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 08:56   #1
iankemp

Default 480 radio

I recentley aquired a 480 es, the Volvo radio is not switched via the ignition switch, it can be left on with the engine off and locked. Surely this is not correct. Anyone know what is the norm. First post to any kind of forum so forgive me if I have made some mistakes.
iankemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 19:17   #2
Volitiveflyer
"Vauxhell Driver"

Lightbulb Radio

Hi ya & welcome

As far as I know (this is my second Volvo) on both models (360 & 440) I have been able to use the radio/cassette without needing the ignition key to be physically in the ignition. According to my owners manual book, it advises that you can use it without the ignition being present, but to be aware that it will drain the battery if left on for any length of time.

Hope that helps you.

Fi
Volitiveflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 19:24   #3
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankemp View Post
I recentley aquired a 480 es, the Volvo radio is not switched via the ignition switch, it can be left on with the engine off and locked. Surely this is not correct. Anyone know what is the norm. First post to any kind of forum so forgive me if I have made some mistakes.
Hello Ian and welcome to the forums...the 480/460/440 radios remain on with the need for the ignition to be on...personally i find it annoying as i drive a S60 too and when i switch car off the radio turns off too .i just leave and lock the car where as in the 440 i have to manually turn the radio off..extra 2 seconds wasted.lol
cheers
Mo
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:27   #4
shane_blues

My 460 radio stays on when the key is not in the car, I dont like it , that and I want a button to overide the electric areal.
shane_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:49   #5
TheG
growl, woosh!

the radio is a standard ISO connection unit so you could always make it switched by the ignition by running a switched live cable to the ISO block and putting it in the correct hole on the power block.

As for the aerial, that just needs a switch inline with the remote/aerial out on the ISO block.

wiring colour: http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/W...dio_wiring.jpg

pinout: http://www.beckerelectronics.com/1492.html

number 5 for the aerial and no 7 for the switched live. HTH
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 16:46   #6
ShadowTD

I've been thinking about putting in a switched live myself. At the moment, I'm using the illumination wire as the switched live (motorised faceplate, needs a switched live or I can't get the damn thing off!! ) but I want to disconnect the daytime running lights as they brass me off (oh alright - I'm a complete muppet and I keep driving home on running lights )

Where would be the easiest place to pull this from? I'm a little wary about hacking around in the steering column...
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 09:28   #7
samk

Default Volvo Radio Wiring

For a noob like myself, how would I switch the wiring for the Volvo radio (VC602 on a '96 440 LE) so that the radio is linked to the ignition i.e. turns off when car is off. Reason I ask is I installed an aftermarket stereo with harness and the following day, battery was dead (annoying!). I tried switching 12V batt wire and ACC wire on the harness (which has the requisite fuses), still to no avail. Any advice for fella like me?
samk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 00:00   #8
DaveSV40

So the wire going to pin 7 in the diagram in the link is a permanent +12v feed in the 440?

A few people have said take a switched feed off the dashboard illumination to power the stereo-is this man enough, or would it be better to wire it to a relay and use this to switch the wire at pin 7? (I'm no electrician, but the wire powering the stereo is quite a bit bigger than the ones for the dash lights!)
DaveSV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 00:40   #9
grass hopper
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSV40 View Post
So the wire going to pin 7 in the diagram in the link is a permanent +12v feed in the 440?

A few people have said take a switched feed off the dashboard illumination to power the stereo-is this man enough, or would it be better to wire it to a relay and use this to switch the wire at pin 7? (I'm no electrician, but the wire powering the stereo is quite a bit bigger than the ones for the dash lights!)

no dont take of the dashboard illumination,you could run a wire to the fuse box drivers side,only 2 screws to remove, and remove the under dash panel and lower,find an ignition fed live thats got a thick wire eg heated seats/hrw,but put a fuse holder inline with a 3 amp fuse.