Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AWD Haldex and diff issues

Views : 33856

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2015, 14:01   #1
AustenAWD

Default AWD Haldex and diff issues

Hi all new to the forum. I currently fix Freelander 2 transmissions (diffs and haldex), but am starting get inquiries about the Volvo units. Id like to try and help, but need to collate as much info as possible so i can try and cure the symptom/problems described. I know the Freelander inside out but not had the pleasure of getting my hands dirty with the volvo AWD units(or ford kuga). I understand that there are various vibrations and noises that look likely to be caused by the Haldex unit itself. The majority of problems in Freelanders is actually a diff failure which i can now fix but in a way that will prevent it happening again (its a design fault). Id really like to to do the same for the affected Volvo cars. So if anyone would like to go into a detail about their own experiences id be extremely grateful, and if anyone is currently suffering issues and cannot get a resolution im happy to investigate the car free of charge (this is what i did with the freelanders to come up with a robust solution)

Im not sure if the guy i initially spoke to about his XC60 is on here, but he was stuck in a battle with Volvo to sort his car out, and was going to get back in touch with me but i havent heard from him, so if you read this give me a shout as im in a better situation to help at the moment (i have brand new Haldex 4 units in stock for a lot less than Volvo!)
AustenAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustenAWD For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 17:06   #2
iain cooper

I don't think the diff issue is really a big a problem with the Volvo as it is with the freelander?

Iain
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 00:00   #3
The Landshark

Pressure sensors and pump failures seem to be the biggest issues with the gen 3 haldex.
That and the haldex oil and filters not being changed
The Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Landshark For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 11:24   #4
4candles
I've Been Banned

I have an 04 XC70 auto that has fairly comprehensive history and quite low mileage but i doubt the AWD has received much if any maintenance, i do see gear oil, gearbox oil and various filters on some of the service receipts but no details of exactly what was done.

Does anyone know the part numbers for this filter and the oil specs or any info you think is pertinent to this procedure as i think i'd like to change them out in the near future.

My thanks

4c
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 09:35   #5
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Landshark View Post
Pressure sensors and pump failures seem to be the biggest issues with the gen 3 haldex.
That and the haldex oil and filters not being changed
What are the symptoms of pump failures and what is the easiest way to test that it is working as expected (assuming all other AWD elements are fine)? You don't read a lot about pump failures in Volvos. Seems to be the spline sleeve and angle gear with a bit of DEM and DEM oil sensors chucked in for good measure!
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 00:42   #6
deanoinmorley

My 2001 XC70 (non heldex) rear diff is constantly whining. If I take my foot of the accelerator it really does whine. I'm sure it's a bearing but can it be repaired and how difficult is it to remove and replace?
deanoinmorley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 20:52   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles View Post
I have an 04 XC70 auto that has fairly comprehensive history and quite low mileage but i doubt the AWD has received much if any maintenance, i do see gear oil, gearbox oil and various filters on some of the service receipts but no details of exactly what was done.

Does anyone know the part numbers for this filter and the oil specs or any info you think is pertinent to this procedure as i think i'd like to change them out in the near future.

My thanks

4c
Rear Axel Oil Part No.1161620
Gear Box (Man) P/N31280771 need 2off
Angle Gear P/N 31259380
AOC P/N 31325136

DId not change filter. all P/N are for a V70AWD R 2004.
I bought an vacuum pump from machine mart to suck the old oil out.

Hope this help

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 13:07   #8
4candles
I've Been Banned

Thanks 100+k, i'm keener than ever to service the system now i've seen your new thread, will follow it with interest.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 16:57   #9
greyv70

Hello AustenAWD
I would be interested to talk to you further about my car. I've owned the car since Feb this year and despite having been looked after quite well (FSH) the rear Haldex unit seems to have been a bit neglected and to my knowledge the AWD is currently not working.

The car has now done 115k miles and until recently the Haldex unit had no fluid and was completely caked in grime on the outside. I'm guessing a seal has gone somehow causing the fluid to leak out but I've no idea if the filters / pump are blocked as well as it is so difficult to get to.

I normally carry out my own car maintenance but this is a bit beyond me. If this is something that you'd be able to help me with please let me know how to contact you as I am unable to PM you thanks Chris
greyv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2016, 00:38   #10
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyv70 View Post
Hello AustenAWD
I would be interested to talk to you further about my car. I've owned the car since Feb this year and despite having been looked after quite well (FSH) the rear Haldex unit seems to have been a bit neglected and to my knowledge the AWD is currently not working.

The car has now done 115k miles and until recently the Haldex unit had no fluid and was completely caked in grime on the outside. I'm guessing a seal has gone somehow causing the fluid to leak out but I've no idea if the filters / pump are blocked as well as it is so difficult to get to.

I normally carry out my own car maintenance but this is a bit beyond me. If this is something that you'd be able to help me with please let me know how to contact you as I am unable to PM you thanks Chris
What you need to do in order is get the car read with a DICE/VIDA. This will give you a great insight into what you need to do next. If you don't/cant you are feeling you way in the dark.
The DEM unit has a pressure gauge (small) and a control module (large) inside. The pressure gauge sometimes go faulty. If so VIDA/DICE will tell you.
VIDA DICE will also give you live pressure value data - might prove* the sensor works/don't work. see caviat.
Disconnect the pump lead and check the pump works with a 12volt battery- you will hear it running - If you need to change the pump you need to remove the prop shaft ( and 90% the exhaust too). The DEM controller suffers from water ingress damage, and sometimes gives " false" reading to the DEM
* due to DEM damage no pressure is shown on VIDA DICE which claims a pressure valve issue, when the PV is actually ok.- that caught me.
You can get your DEM unit checked out. I tried on company in Kent, who said the unit was fine, and then spent months trying to fix the AWD, when the DEM was infact faulty. Lukas, sorted me a referbed unit which is working great - no DTC'S and lots of AWD.

If you want to ask any questions just ask
Cheers

Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: