Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear door central locking problem

Views : 18702

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2019, 09:15   #11
NorthantsPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoski View Post
That made a lot of sense so I just went out to test the theory.
When you lock the car the rear doors pin moves down but not all the way- only halfway. If you press the lock button again it sort of shivers but won't lower anymore. Door remains unlocked and the alarm is all working when you open it.
I have squirted a good dose of lubrication down the edges of the knob to see if it may have been catching but it's action is smooth and not sticking.
If you manually push the knob down and then lock the car on the fob it stays locked.
The lock is moving but not engaging properly.
The knob remains a cm above the door panel so it is obvious that the door is open I guess to anyone who is looking out for an open car to rob. Anymore ideas please?
Any idea how to get the rear door to stay locked manually and not respond to the fob? We generally never use the rear doors- two of us and the dogs in the boot.it would be a cheap fix I guess if we could leave that door locked u till you operated the rear interior handle.

EXACTLY the same problem, it must be an issue witht hese. Mine is the P3 V70 but its the same door, same problem, doesnt go all the way (only found out because the lad opened the door before i had chance to unlock).

Im convinced this coul dbe why my alamrs going off too

the issue isnt the motor, it moves fine, it must not be catching the pin right or the mechanism cant move freely. If not attached to the door it closes just fine so something over time is building up or drying out.

Do we have any door card removal pictures/techniques?

Last edited by NorthantsPete; Sep 13th, 2019 at 09:17.
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 10:04   #12
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthantsPete View Post
Do we have any door card removal pictures/techniques?
Yes.....https://youtu.be/vIZmJFqoDKk
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 12:12   #13
NorthantsPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
yep, saw that a few days back, glad these guys had the balls to do it as i would have got half way and crapped myself or dropped everything inside the door!

Easier to buy a whole unit though instea dof peeing about with motors
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 21:42   #14
Waynedance

My drivers door is playing up (sometimes does not lock), seen the video the other day after a google and going to tackle the job this weekend.
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 13:16   #15
GordonP

Default Mr

The nearside rear door lock on my XC60 wouldn't work with the central locking after the car was serviced, at a Volvo main dealer. I took it back. Usual sucking through teeth, and "Nothing we can do mate. Not our fault. You need a new one, £300. Common problem..."
I left.
Eight months later, the door started unlocking with the fob. A few days after that, it decided to work perfectly.
The system is of course electronic. So are my computer, phone and Freesat box. Any problem with those is fixed by turning them off, then back on. Perhaps Volvo should try resetting the car's computer instead of charging £300, or letting Volvo users wait for the problem to fix itself.
GordonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 12:11   #16
Model flyer
Master Member

Just to make anyone who has a door lock fail feel a little better , most cars these days use very similar locks and most seem to suffer the same problems. Jaguars ,BMW ,Mercedes and other all use very similar locks that in turn use c*** electric motors that just fail after a few years . Hence the availability of pattern replacement door locks on e-bay ; although replacement for Volvos do seem scarce and a lot more expensive !
I repaired the motors on My sons Volvo locks due to cost but fitted replacement locks on my Jag as thaey are a fraction of the cost and quicker and easier to fit complete lock.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 12:16   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoski View Post
That made a lot of sense so I just went out to test the theory.
When you lock the car the rear doors pin moves down but not all the way- only halfway. If you press the lock button again it sort of shivers but won't lower anymore. Door remains unlocked and the alarm is all working when you open it.
I have squirted a good dose of lubrication down the edges of the knob to see if it may have been catching but it's action is smooth and not sticking.
If you manually push the knob down and then lock the car on the fob it stays locked.
The lock is moving but not engaging properly.
The knob remains a cm above the door panel so it is obvious that the door is open I guess to anyone who is looking out for an open car to rob. Anymore ideas please?
Any idea how to get the rear door to stay locked manually and not respond to the fob? We generally never use the rear doors- two of us and the dogs in the boot.it would be a cheap fix I guess if we could leave that door locked u till you operated the rear interior handle.
You need a new door lock inside the door , water can get into it and the mechanism/motor stiffens up , The new lock has better water protection ..
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 23:43   #18
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi clan . The locks I've changed have failed not because of water but due to the lube that's used getting into the motors and contaminating the commutator and brushes. It would be good if Volvo addressed the issue : however the problem has been around for a long time and continues with many other makes so won't hold my breath for Volvo to make a better part as it all down to cost/ profit.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 03:41   #19
Bashy
Aged Member

Was there any noticeable noise leading up to the fault(s)
I only ask cause i have a noisy actuator, i think thats what it is and im sure its only after unlocking, its like a 2 second mid pitched squeak lol also not sure yet if its the tailgate or the osr door, not really paid it much heed, i just notice it is all
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 16:01   #20
TeamG
Master Member

I have this issue with my P3 V70 OSR lock. However, mine seems to have a broken plastic part, which I heard drop down the door.

I am struggling to strip the door down though, as I cannot find the bolts to disconnect the glass. I’ve wound down the 260mm that my less than trustworthy Haynes manual suggested, but no visible bolts through the rubber covers. I tried increments of 20mm all the way up and down, but no luck. Any suggestions?

And also, where is the cheapest place to get a replacement lock mechanism?

Thanks all.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote