Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HU-1205 and CD Changer retrofit

Views : 3633

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 13:37   #1
brent

Default HU-1205 and CD Changer retrofit

Hello all, I'm a bit of a lurker popping up to ask a question. Apologies if I'm duplicating posts, but I have done a few searches and haven't quite found what I'm looking for.
So, having essentially retrofitted everything I can to my Jaguar I have now turned my attention to my Wife's V40. It was first registered in September 2001 and is the Diesel Model, It has a pretty basic spec from the factory as far as I can see so there's plenty I shall be able to do to retrofit parts.
I have just bought a HU-1205 headunit (which I shall try and add a photo of to this post).
It looks as though it may have a connector for a CD changer on the back, I am not sure, can someone explain what all the connectors are for?
As it is a basic spec I am not expecting the wiring to be in place. (Unlike my Jag which just had looms for everything already there!)
Can anyone help me out with part numbers/list of parts needed for upgraded sound, an amp and a cd changer? Also any looms required? I'm only interested in genuine Volvo parts that would have been an option when the car was built. I have ordered a GPS antenna from ebay that states it matches this head unit, where was the original GPS antenna located for these cars?
Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hu1205.jpg (273.3 KB, 27 views)
brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 13:57   #2
kieran40
I've Been Banned

The GPS antenna goes behind the dash finding a genuine volvo one would as hard to find as the discs I have a 1205 unit in mine, but I use a garmin or my I phone for sat nav, some times amps and premium sound system bits come up for sale on here or ebay so it's just a question of keeping youre ears to the ground

There is or was a German GPS antenna on ebay that fits the 1205 but like I say with the passage of time getting discs is hard plus the sat nav is in a dangerous place down there pre mobile phone ban I guess but the 1205 is a nice head unit and a expensive optional extra so they are rare.

Last edited by kieran40; Dec 2nd, 2015 at 13:59.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 14:14   #3
brent

I have got the discs

And I've ordered a GPS antenna, which I suspect is not genuine (but in this case I'll make an exception)

I just really don't know what I should be searching for in terms of which changer, which amp, and whether the head unit I have (pictured above) is the one that actually has the connections for these things.

And then there'll be speakers I guess!

Luckily with my Jag I have access to the Electronic Parts Guide which was really handy for seeing which bits fitted my cars VIN and let me have a bit more confidence in what parts I was actually looking for.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to brent For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 14:39   #4
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent View Post
I have got the discs

And I've ordered a GPS antenna, which I suspect is not genuine (but in this case I'll make an exception)

I just really don't know what I should be searching for in terms of which changer, which amp, and whether the head unit I have (pictured above) is the one that actually has the connections for these things.

And then there'll be speakers I guess!

Luckily with my Jag I have access to the Electronic Parts Guide which was really handy for seeing which bits fitted my cars VIN and let me have a bit more confidence in what parts I was actually looking for.

Cheers
Good the discs are hard to come by , as for the antenna it's fine and it's hidden so that's the sat nav covered, as for youre changer and other bits ask gatos what he doesn't know isint worth knowing and he may have a spare changer he's usually got everything lol, but don't go looking down there fiddling with the sat nav as you will run into the back of something or get done by the coppers, things have changed since 2003 (laws). I just like the colour screen and volvo welcome which comes up when you turn the ign on put a ad in the wants above ^ someone might bite and sell you the changer and amp the 1205 also has a remote btw

Last edited by kieran40; Dec 2nd, 2015 at 14:42.
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 14:45   #5
brent

A remote? Ooooh

As I mentioned, it's my wifes car and I'd just like to upgrade as many bits as possible for her

It's a rather long list....
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 14:59   #6
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
A remote? Ooooh

As I mentioned, it's my wifes car and I'd just like to upgrade as many bits as possible for her

It's a rather long list....
You know youre wife's good for it and Xmass coming up and all that, the radio is not the only upgrade for the car either brent, hope you have deep pockets and a lot of time lol. Loads and loads you can retrofit to these cars I'm about to embark on a climate control upgrade I've got the loom and all the sensors and switches and control panel I'm just waiting for uncle gatos to put up the how to guide, it's going to be messy and I'm sure I'm going to get skimmed knuckles but all worth it . Once you pop you can't stop brent lol. Was going to add cruise control aswell but it's pointless you can never use it in Britain it's on and off every 5 minutes.
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 15:04   #7
gatos
Premier Member

You will find out that the CD-Changer wiring is already there. If you take your radio out, and look back in there, you will most probably find the additional connector.

In most late phase 2 cars mid 2002 onwards, you will find that the wiring is already there partially.

I will try to get some more photos tonight, as I have already done the exact same conversion on my S40.

You will need the wiring loom in the boot, an extra aux cable from the radio to the amp (from the radio to the boot), a subwoofer and two slightly different speakers on the D-pillar

If you are interested, I have the aux cable, subwoofer, amp an d D-Pillar speakers for a V40. I can possibly get the wiring from a scrapyard if you also need that.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 15:06   #8
brent

I'm definitely interested thanks
I'll have to have a closer look at the car, I do know there is a speaker mounted on one side in the boot area, not sure if it is a sub or not
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 15:16   #9
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm definitely interested thanks
I'll have to have a closer look at the car, I do know there is a speaker mounted on one side in the boot area, not sure if it is a sub or not
There are two types of subs. One with a small built in amplifier and another one without one, but with the external amplifier.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 15:17   #10
brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
You know youre wife's good for it and Xmass coming up and all that, the radio is not the only upgrade for the car either brent, hope you have deep pockets and a lot of time lol. Loads and loads you can retrofit to these cars I'm about to embark on a climate control upgrade I've got the loom and all the sensors and switches and control panel I'm just waiting for uncle gatos to put up the how to guide, it's going to be messy and I'm sure I'm going to get skimmed knuckles but all worth it . Once you pop you can't stop brent lol. Was going to add cruise control aswell but it's pointless you can never use it in Britain it's on and off every 5 minutes.
I've definitely got the retrofit bug, I've retrofitted Voice control, premium sound and a heap of other bits to my Jag, but given I cannot find an original Jag minidisc player or the correct parcel shelf (So I can actually install the woofers) I've run out of options, well, apart from adaptive cruise and the garage door opener. But I haven't got a garage and the adaptive modules are frankly impossible to find. So it's the turn of the little Volvo to help me cope with my retrofitting obsession