Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 intermittent camera and boot faults

Views : 1365

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2020, 10:30   #1
McEwans

Default V90 intermittent camera and boot faults

Hi All,

Our V90 which dates from late 2018 has always had a couple of gremlins with the wing mirrors and boot opener which have recently got worse. Can anyone guide me as to possible cause and advise whether it is worth me pursuing with the dealer / under warranty please?

Occasionally the wing mirrors don't fold when the car is locking, similarly sometimes one or other of the side cameras doesn't activate in the 360 camera mode, and the boot sometimes fails to open and only unlocks.

All of which we can live with of course, but recently the boot gave up for a whole week which was tough on my back lifting the tailgate against the mechanism - and you look a bit of a Berk waving your foot under the bumper and nothing happens

This prompted me to take to the dealer but of course it decided to work again on the day so they were unable to shed any light on it.

Are we best living with these minor snags or trying to get them investigated?
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 13:57   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

I would definitely have the dealer investigate. Intermittent electrical faults can be difficult to resolve. My dealer's reaction to such faults would be to book the car in for a couple of days and provide a courtesy car whilst they diagnosed the issue(s).

For electrical gremlins like this I would start by rebooting the car's electronics - did the dealer do this when you took it in?
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 19:47   #3
McEwans

Thumbs up

Thanks Techwatcher, I don't know if they tried rebooting. On reflection they did say they had re-learned the mirrors in to the car. Might that have involved a reboot?

It sounds like I should ask for it to go in again.
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 20:00   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Sounds to me like the mirror and camera may linked to the door either not being fully closed or sensor not detecting the door is closed, next time it happens try opening and closing the door to see if either the camera or mirror operates, if so it will give the dealer somethingvto go on. (as you may already know if you open a front door the camera on that mirror shuts down)
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 22:48   #5
ian77

The 360 blank mirror camera/not folding thing is a known issue, i had it on and off for 15 months. Last time they did some investigating and a specific software update and it’s not occurred since.
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 15:15   #6
Wedge0107

McEwans - I had the 360 camera and folding mirror intermittent fault. The camera issue as Ian77 has mentioned is a known fault - there is a TSB which I reminded them of at the service. They updated the software and it hasn't occured since (2 months now). There is a quick temporary remedy if you push both mirror buttons down to retract and then again to move back that tends to bring the camera picture back up. I must admit I do seem to be having intermittent issues with the handfree tail sensor picking my waving foot - just assumed I wasn't doing it right, perhaps there may be more too it!
V90 MY20 D4 Osmium Grey Momentum Plus with Xenium Pack | Winter Pack | Heated Windscreen | BLIS | Tinted Windows | Keyless Entry | 4-Zone Climate | Hands Free Tailgate | Mud Flaps | Tempa Spare | Wireless Apple CarPlay
Wedge0107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 18:25   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Don't wave your foot, move it under the bumper and back out in a slow kicking motion. In line with the reverse sensor. Waving foot about results in hit and miss operation.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 22:06   #8
McEwans

Talking

Thanks All, this sounds very promising about the mirror and camera issue, I'll be in a much better position to explain when I go back to the garage.

The boot remains a bit of a mystery as when it's not working, neither the catch itself or the button inside the car work either.

Tags
boot, camera, mirrors, v90