Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lose front strut springs advice

Views : 813

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2015, 13:41   #1
andythepandy

Default Lose front strut springs advice

Volvo 240 GLE, 1987, Manual

Hello one and all I went and had the car MOTed last week and it failed on the springs not being correctly seated on the front when it was jacked up. I had cut them so I thought that I might as well replace them with some proper lowering springs. Also there is a clunk that has been coming from the front end whenever I go over potholes or a rough surface since I did them so I thought that they were also causing this problem too.

I got the new lowering springs today and fitted them to the front. I have tightened up as hard as it would go and seated the spring ends but the spring is still loose and I can move it with my hand whilst the car is jacked up. Why is it doing this?

I did replace the struts with KYG shocks when I cut the springs and I'm just wondering if there was a spacer or something that dropped out whilst I was changing them. Or if I was meant to take a spacer out. It just seems odd that the springs are so loose even when they are fully extended.

Any ideas??
andythepandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 15:46   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Most 40mm lowering springs are just long enough to be held by std dampers.

I asume you have KYB?

A common cause of knocking is just not tightening the damper fixing nut enough (the big one that holds into the strut case). The other common problem I see is GLT struts that have been fitted with non GLT dampers without adding the bottom washer. This should not be the issue with yours unless the struts had been changed to GLT ones at some point.

If your springs are loose then the best option is to fit shortened dampers. I do stock shorter dampers with adjustable damping
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 18:11   #3
andythepandy

Yes sorry I mean KYB. I assume they haven't been changed but maybe I need those dampers which is a pain as I have spent quite a lot on the car recently but oh well. Do I just get the length according to how much the car has been lowered in the drop down menu?
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 23:21   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You need to select in the drop down meny how much shorter you want them. You should measure how much free play you have and go a few mm shorter so they are just slightly compressed but not much
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 23:32   #5
andythepandy

Ok cheers I'm not actually with the car ATM bit I would like to order some so when I get back they're waiting for me. I got 40mm lowering springs so what do you think would fit? 40mm? As you say a few mm shorter would 60 be be better? If I get the 60 at least I have the option to go lower if I want. If there too compressed what would be the adverse effects?
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 09:03   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

40mm shorter should be more than short enough. You will have to compress the springs a little with them

Tags
lowering springs, spacer, springs, strut