Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 55876

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 301 38.84%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 447 57.68%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.68%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 775. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 29th, 2013, 11:31   #131
MCV60
Master Member

If it’s a space saver you are after. A quick search on EBay (Volvo (model ref)). There are plenty of New/Used space savers available for the fraction of Volvos RRP. Some with bags/jacks & braces. Take your pick.

How you fix/contain it is another problem. But if it’s a peace of mind your after.
MCV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 10:35   #132
semiretired

Cool Spare tyre

Touring in France, no way I was going to rely on the glue - possibly miles away from anywhere with a sidewall puncture!! Nightmare scenario. Bought a full- sized wheel rim and tyre and carry it in the boot. It's the single most negative issue I have with the marque - lack of at least a space- saver spare although it seems newer models have now the option. I sooner lose those extra few MPG than be stranded!
S60 D4 Auto 2011
semiretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 10:14   #133
ivyhouselady

Default full spare wheel

We recently purchased a V70 XC 2011 which has a temporary spare. To be honest I would prefer a full size, but I am grateful to one of some sort as I know a lot of cars only "come with a can". You have to weigh up what is right for you and your driving conditions. If you are going off road then a full wheel would be required, but for the rest of us a spare would get us to a garage with care. Obviously it mine cam with a full wheel I would not be complaining!
ivyhouselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 11:40   #134
MCV60
Master Member

Default Puncture

This has really effected me this weekend. After spending sat evening washing and polishing my V60. I noticed a screw head sat in the middle grove of the rear tyre ( all 4 purchased new on Christmas Eve). Not having a clue how long it had been there I instantly checked the tyre pressure. With no sign of pressure drop, I knew I had to get this checked out, with minimum amount of running around, knowing I didn't have a spare/space saver. The only garage locally open on a Sunday, instantly said it was non repairable and the only tyre in stock was £160. I had a hunch that would be a standard response. But with the screw in the middle of tyre I wanted a second opinion.
So this morning after checking the pressure again. I went to my normal garage and within 20mins it was patched.
Albeit it's cost me time off work this morning and had to change our plans yesterday. But if a space saver was to be included. I could of happily swapped the wheels and left the puncture at the garage. IMHO a space saver should be a minimum requirement.
MCV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:02   #135
nickbw898

I agree with the last post but with the following caveats. I have a MY01 XC70 and I have never used the spare. Also it depends very much what rubber you run on. In the northern US and Canada there are many times more examples of this model than here. They often go for non OEM wheels, it seems they do value appearance more than anything and like to mod their cars, often spending alarming sums of money. However, there is consensus about using Nokian WRG2/3 tyres and they tend to go for 235x60xR16 rather than the OEM 215x65xR16. THere are some tyres which use asymmetric tread patterns and which are directional tyres. These present a big problem to "which type of spare to carry".

I am just about to purchase new rubber and I will go with Nokians (strictly speaking Winter tyres) in the OEM size as I cannot find 235x60xR16 but I will still use the standard OEM Pirelli STR spare (still unused) and respect the speed/milage rules advised by Volvo.
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:01   #136
wrinkles
VOC Member

Wink

I have a full sized spare wheel to match the alloys on the car.I don't like space savers as they are limited and look nasty. THe 940 has plenty of room in the boot for it. alternitives are just a cost cutting means by the makers.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:43   #137
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkles View Post
I have a full sized spare wheel to match the alloys on the car.I don't like space savers as they are limited and look nasty. THe 940 has plenty of room in the boot for it. alternitives are just a cost cutting means by the makers.
There *may* be a modicum of cost saving but the main reasons are simply the space that a full size tyre takes up inside the car and the weight which is significant, especially when they have challenging emissions and efficiency targets to meet.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 18:30   #138
Milty

Given a choice, I'd prefer to have a spare. That said, in the last 6 years of motoring, I've only had one actual puncture which in fairness was caused by a failed tyre pressure monitoring valve. Without that, I'd be well into 10 years without a puncture. Average 25-30k/annum and going into several customer sites.

When I did have the puncture, the goo was useless as the valve was wrecked as was the tyre. It was tedious at the time but soon forgotten.

Now - just wait for my next post when I get my first puncture as a result of this post...
Milty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 14:43   #139
CanAmSteve

Default My first post

I just purchased a 2014 D5 AWD R design as a dealer demo. Its a lovely car and while this model has been decontented to the point I only need to read 20% of the owner's manual. I still think it's excellent value for the money.

As part of the negotiations, I persuaded the dealer to exchange the installed tyre pump and sealer for a limited use spare, and I'm happy with that compromise. My previous road car (VW) had a full-size spare which was never used. I do travel on the Continent and while I would have preferred that storage space for a full-size spare had been designed-in, the limited-use spare will certainly get me off the motorway and allow me to find a new tyre without being stranded or held hostage. I was happy that the limited-use spare (plus jack and wheel brace) fit in without raising the load floor.
CanAmSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 15:09   #140
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

This has probably been mentioned before but the P2 V70/S80/S60 all have room for a full size spare in the boot and yet have no less depth in the boot than the modern S60. Yet there's no room at all for any kind of spare in the S60 - in fact, if you opt for a spare wheel, they give you an expensive bag to put it in so id doesn't slide about in there! The boot floor is the same height as the older S60 so what are they doing with the space underneath?

I have a 5th alloy in mine as you'll never see a police Volvo pottering about with a spacesaver on it.