Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I said i'll be back!

Views : 24246

Replies : 250

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2018, 20:36   #211
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I hope the new CPS sorts that out for you David.

In case this helps for any reason, I don't know if your CPS is the same as for my B200F. I was recently quoted by FRF Volvo dealers parts department £40.39 inc VAT and discount, plus delivery. They didn't mention any supply problem.

Oh yes re Very Awful Tax. I suppose we keep VAT whatever outcome of Brexit....

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 21:43   #212
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I hope the new CPS sorts that out for you David.

In case this helps for any reason, I don't know if your CPS is the same as for my B200F. I was recently quoted by FRF Volvo dealers parts department £40.39 inc VAT and discount, plus delivery. They didn't mention any supply problem.

Oh yes re Very Awful Tax. I suppose we keep VAT whatever outcome of Brexit....

It's a different sensor to the 4-pots Stevo, not listed as fitting them except for some 740s but reading between the lines, i'd say that is a mistake on the catalogue producers part - like many they're not aware of the existence of the 760 or that the "correct" version of the 760 has a V6, rather than the B230ET 4-pot turbo.

When i say the "correct" version of the 760, i' referring to the traditional Volvo model numbering system where the first digit is the model series, second digit is the number of cylinders and the third digit, the number of doors. Using that system, the only "correct" 760 can be one with 6 cylinders.

Given that we had purchase tax with some very complicated means of calculating it before we entered the EEC as it was back then, i suspect we'll end up keeping VAT as it is easier to work out - however, that would appear to be the least of our worries at the moment seeing as Mrs May has demanded respect at long last from the EU - if that had happened donkeys years ago by the relevant PM of the time, maybe we wouldn't all have voted out!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 23:02   #213
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Ah David, the model numbering system. Those were the days.

I voted in in the original referendum yes stay in for trade co-operation. I was younger. We was misled. In the recent referendum I voted in, better to fix things from inside but keep options to leave open later. BUT. The EU response has convinced me. OUT. OUT. OUT. Is that too vague?

I suspect Her Majesty's Prime Minister planned the timing of the respect speech a long time ago....I certainly hope so. I hear she has a track record against the EU .... I very much hope so.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 21st, 2018 at 23:06.
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 00:55   #214
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Going back 47 years, i was saying "OUT, OUT, OUT!!!" but i was too young to vote so nobody listened. I had however already worked out they EEC only wanted us in their little club to fleece us.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 22:57   #215
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Back on topic, the UAV (as i sometimes call it - Urban Assault Vehicle) gave me an FTP last week so after ordering a new CPS, it duly landed yesterday.

Got the pics uploaded from fitting the new CPS - a few words with each one should explain it all!

New sensor - no surprise on that one!

Sensor location, top pic from just behind right hand downpipe, bottom pic above inlet manifold between the back of the Vee, shows the connector location as well.

Old sensor out.

Quite an easy job except you need a 5mm Allen key to undo/refit the bolt securing the sensor. Not much room to swing it with the left hand exhaust downpipe coming over the bellhousing though! Used my Snap-On 1/4" ratchet drive with a square to hex converter and a 1/4" drive 5mm hex bit instead.

I had intended to renew the rubber fuel return hose as well yesterday but got distracted and test-started the car without thinking so did that today instead and also check-tightened the cap screw on the sensor.

All good but i did notice that despite fixing the fuel pump relay a couple of months back, it's now not priming again when the ignition is first switched on.

Something else to investigate! I might just rig up a timer relay so when the door is opened, it primes the fuel pumps, for now i'm getting round it by flicking the key to the start position and letting go, waiting a second while the pumps run (it sees the engine as turning so uses a different output from the ECU to trigger the fuel pump relay) then turning the key back to start, which it now does "first pot over the top" as it should and always used to.

Old Sep 29th, 2018, 11:57   #216
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I can't grasp the location photographs but it is a different engine from mine so I don't need to know.

Snap-On ratchet. Some of their gear is truly useful. I have a TM711 date code 9 Flex head 1/4 ratchet to hand almost all the time. I find the more recent TRF 72 locking version handy but not so "gentle deep joy" to use as the 711.

I expect you have Snap-On because of being a tradesman. Some items are worth DIY purchase. Some concepts I am not aware of anyone else making. And the tools are guaranteed. And the tools have a good second hand value when the time comes to sell.

I also have many other brands tools and some boot sale &c. nameless tools, all that do good service.
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 13:21   #217
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I can't grasp the location photographs but it is a different engine from mine so I don't need to know.
It's a different sensor as well, the lead is much shorter than the redblock version.

As for location, in terms of the bellhousing, it's in the same place as a red block so you may need to know!

There are clues on the engine both in my signature and in the post above - it's the B280E (full-fat, 170bhp from the factory) V6 that Volvo redesigned in about 1986/7 time to make it more of a Volvo engine than a PRV (Peugeot-Renault-Volvo) engine.

Besides finding its way into Peugeot and Renault models, it also found its way into some Citroens, Lancias, the De L'Orean DMC12 and a few others i expect as well.

All that said, apart from minor details like the connector location and length of sensor lead, the procedure is similar to that of the red block engines.

Old Sep 29th, 2018, 15:34   #218
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello David,

As you will know from years of experience, the redblock sensor can be found by the sense that we call....touch. Follow the lead by finger tips and find the sensor. Cushti.

Has your CPS "transplant" improved or cured anything for you?

Your fuel pump relay issue sounds like a job to consider after a cuppa or a mug of coffee.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 29th, 2018 at 15:37.
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 15:45   #219
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I appreciate it's a strange concept, but i like to see what i'm undoing!

Obviously it's fixed the non-starting problem, the lead on the old one is broken internally, the lump can be seen in the last photo near the actual sensor end of the lead. Near impossible to repair, once upon a time i could have done it but not these days.

Old Sep 29th, 2018, 15:56   #220
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I appreciate it's a strange concept, but i like to see what i'm undoing!

Each to their own pleasure David!