Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

M47 Tranny Fluid and Diff Fluid ???

Views : 548

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 13:07   #1
lionheart002

Default M47 Tranny Fluid and Diff Fluid ???

Can anyone say with certainty what kind of gearbox and diff fluid do I need for my 1990 , 740 B200F with M47 in it (no overdrive unit, just standard 5 speed). I recently bought the car but there is a lot of confusion as to what needs to be used. Volvo and autodata say ATF-F (automatic gearbox fluid), a lot of people have had problems with gearboxes after doing so though. Comma guy says 75w-80... Some recommend 75-80W GL4 for the box and 75W-90 GL5 for the diff. Please, can anyone help ?
lionheart002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 14:16   #2
bob12
bob12

You may find this link to a similar thread I started in mid-August useful:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=285278&page=2

The jury seems to be out on what Volvo may have originally put in the gearbox and short of sending a sample off for analysis you are unlikely to get a definitive response. Someone in the past may have even put whatever in it!

The sensible answer if you need to change the oil seems to be to drain the box well when hot and put in either of the two oils Volvo recommend.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 14:20   #3
rwdkev
VOC member

For the gearbox have a read of this.....

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=285278&page=2
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 15:16   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Does your diff have a LSD fitted?

Should be an ID tag on it somewhere, either held captive by one of the bolts through the diff or stamped on (can't remember) and should give you a diff type. If it's 1041 or 1043 then it's LSD and needs an additive. If not, 75W80 or 75W90 will be fine and you can also use a product to quieten noisy diffs/gearboxes if it whines a bit.

Out of the two ATFs Volvo recommend for the box, i'd go for the Type G as it has enhanced friction modifiers over the "F" type.

As already mentioned thoguh, probably best to drain the gearbox completely and then refill with your chosen fluid.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 21:36   #5
lionheart002

One thing I realised, GL5 can only be used in the diff ! If used in the box, will ruin it. So diff will be 75W-90- GL5, preferably synthetic, box- 75w-90- GL4- synthetic if possible. Thanks to everyone.
lionheart002 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lionheart002 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 22:39   #6
Jebus
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Does your diff have a LSD fitted?

Should be an ID tag on it somewhere, either held captive by one of the bolts through the diff or stamped on (can't remember) and should give you a diff type. If it's 1041 or 1043 then it's LSD and needs an additive. If not, 75W80 or 75W90 will be fine and you can also use a product to quieten noisy diffs/gearboxes if it whines a bit.

Out of the two ATFs Volvo recommend for the box, i'd go for the Type G as it has enhanced friction modifiers over the "F" type.

As already mentioned thoguh, probably best to drain the gearbox completely and then refill with your chosen fluid.
I may be wrong but I am pretty sure the 1041 axle is fitted with the g80 diff which is a locking type, which you should not use any LSD addtive, you could get a proper Limited slip diff fitted but am fairly sure that was into the 1031 and would have a tag saying anti spin or something so you were reminded to put in lsd the additive

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 23:59   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
I may be wrong but I am pretty sure the 1041 axle is fitted with the g80 diff which is a locking type, which you should not use any LSD addtive, you could get a proper Limited slip diff fitted but am fairly sure that was into the 1031 and would have a tag saying anti spin or something so you were reminded to put in lsd the additive
The 1041 is the Dana back axle and "Trac-Lok" diff, as fitted to the rear of Jeep Cherokees and similar. The 1031 was fitted on the front of Jeeps and is open, however the Eaton G80 "Locker" diff can be retro fitted. As far as i understand it, later models (so probably more 9xx rather than 7xx) had the Eaton rather than the Dana diffs.

If memory serves correctly, the Dana "Trac-Lok" is a copy/development of the old Salisbury "Powr-Lok" diff and the Eaton G80 came along later so that would tie in with what i'm thinking about the 1041 axle being the Dana Trac-Lok and the 1031 being the basic open Dana diff.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 20:46   #8
mentepazza

Is the rear diff the same as the 240?
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mentepazza For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 21:06   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentepazza View Post
Is the rear diff the same as the 240?
The differential itself might be the same but the back axle will certainly be different on multi-link (IRS) models. Not so sure on the live axle versions.

Aside from a 240 estate that i used to drive when the 360GLT was in for a service, i've not had much to do with the 240 i'm afraid. I've never owned one, the only one i've driven was that company estate and i don't think i've ever seen one through any workshops i've been in except maybe for an alternator or headlamp bulbs or something similar.

Did look at buying one when i was about 18 with allegedly 43k from new on an A reg (so about 4-5 years old at the time but i was having a pint in my local and talking to one of the local taxi drivers. He spotted the ad in the Auto Trader that i had open and asked why i had it open at that page - said i was going to look at that Volvo. Turned out it was an ex-taxi owned by the firm he drove for, had done 243k, was nothing but trouble from new and nothing had changed!

That was the closest i came to owning a 240 so can't help you i'm afraid.
Needless to say i didn't bother!