Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P80 V70 2000 BiFuel - A challenge to buy?

Views : 704

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2013, 01:50   #1
Nyland

Default P80 V70 2000 BiFuel - A challenge to buy?

Hello!

I'v seen that there are a lot of quick heads here, and I have to ask;

I'm looking for a new car, and the choice has fallen on a Volvo (of course) with LPG.

Today I'm driving a late 1990 Volvo 940 with a B230FB and 382' km, which uses about 0.9 litres pr 10 km.
Fair enough, but LPG cost 1/3 of gas!

I have got my hands on a V70 from 2000 with 500K+ km.
The engine has blown, and the LPG has not been ran/working for at least 3-4 years.

The engine is not a problem, but I'm worried for the LPG system.

What can be main errors here, and what will it cost?

The price for the car is low, aprox 1000£/1250€.

------

I also have a second alternative.
I've got a '98 940 sedan, where the engine (b230fk) has been rebuild and have aprox 3 km of driving since. I'm guessing that I have to fix all the brakes, steering rack and all the minor faults that the car has got after 5 years of standing still.

A converting of this engine to LPG is aprox 3000£/3750€ + repair cost for brakes etc.. Three times det amount for the V70.

-----

I must apologize for my bad writing, but I'm from Norway

Hope you guys can give me som hints/tips for what I should do.
Nyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 21:11   #2
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default Careful...

The Scandinavian forums cover CNG and LPG Volvos better than we do. See the German Erdgas forum.

Gas is very rare here, but in essence, if a factory fit, be careful. The Necam parts are pricey and it usually means £4-500 in parts, (when they go), but... if you do your homework, far less.

Homework permitting you should be not be put off, however, I would worry about Necam parts at that mileage - unless you know what you're doing. It is almost guaranteed you'll be needing the lot replaced, so you're buying a petrol car, not an LPG one.

But you have an engine to do as well? Sounds like if cubed, it'd make better scrap-iron, but I've not seen it... are you sure?
As long as the price also says that - fine. if not, walk away.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 22nd, 2013 at 21:16.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote