Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water in passenger footwell

Views : 378

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 17:36   #1
Frank B

Question Water in passenger footwell

I have a 2016 XC70 which I have had for a year now.

Noticed the last couple of times it rained heavily a pool of water in the passenger footwell, about a cupfull sitting on the rubber mat.. No water on inside of screen, dry glovebox, car has no sunroof.

Autoglass fitted a new screen a year ago.

Water only appears after very heavy rain, stays dry when I (hand) wash the car.

Any ideas / solutions ?

Thanks
Frank B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 18:38   #2
1monkey600

Was it parked pointing downhill by any chance? Water sometimes enters via the hinges for the rear hatch and runs forward on top of the headlining.

I saw somewhere (i think in a youtube video (?)) where the owner got some draft excluder tape and made a sort of 'dam' along the top of the hatch opening (effectively underneath the 'spoiler') so that any water entering between the roof and the hatch was diverted down either side of the hatch with no chance of running down where the hinges or grommets are.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 19:18   #3
Frank B

parked on the level both times
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 19:51   #4
1monkey600

Oh well. Shooting in the dark then -
What about under the dash where the fuses are, are there any drips on ducting or wiring loom. It could be a grommet not sealing properly or the drain holes under the bonnet being blocked so that water backs up around the scuttle.

Are you sure it is only inside the rubber mat (i.e. Not wet under the mat at all)? This would suggest it is only dripping from somewhere above it rather than running down bulkheads. No moisture in the air vents?
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 11:48   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

If dripping from the bottom of the glove box Check the water drains in the scuttle . If blocked the water can back up and get in via air inlet for heater fan unit. Also check cabin filter as if they get wet then air flow is affected and they can start to smell.
Another part to check is the rubber door seals where they fit onto the door frame . If water gets in at the top it can get around the seal as it runs down the "A" post and into the car . This would show near the door .
Its still possible that the windscreen adhesive has failed and worth checking.

I found a good way to dry out the carpets if soaked was to put 2 or three old newspapers under the mats or under the over-mats . Its amazing how much water they will absorb . This also stops the horrible wet smell .
Hope you find the leak.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 14:41   #6
Frank B

Thanks for suggestions

I had the car serviced yesterday at the local main dealer. they said the problem was the replacement screen.

Autoglass came out today, took screen out and rebonded it, technician said it looked like screen was loose in one area. Got to wait till it rains hard now to see if problem solved, fingers crossed

After second leak I dried the car out with a de humidifier, very effective