Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted XC90

Views : 2543

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 15:36   #1
Skidmarks

Default Wanted XC90

Hi, great forum. Joined specifically to perhaps purchase a quality vehicle off one of you! Or if you know of one available. In the market for a 2008(58) (cheaper tax) or newer model with a few toys and tow bar. Just missed a nice 09 Se with bar, full leather and sat nav for £5750 so that's my bench mark. Sold my car so eager to buy right vehicle.
Thanks in advance
Skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 16:09   #2
M627

What miles range ur looking? 5,750 SE 09 plates looks very high miles?
M627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 16:19   #3
Skidmarks

That one was 130k don't really want that mileage but the overall package looked tempting as I believe volvos take the miles quite well. There's lesser specced ones with less miles available. It's just getting that balance right tbh.
Old May 4th, 2018, 23:42   #4
Skidmarks

Ummmmmm these are getting snapped up quickly missed out on another two. 😳🙈
Old May 20th, 2018, 12:36   #5
Skidmarks

Still looking for right vehicle. These move quickly missed a third one. Cash waiting. Not fussed about sat nav, tow bar would be good and cam belt service must've been done.
Old May 21st, 2018, 21:33   #6
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Skidmark. Can I just add my experience to this for you.

If I was to buy another XC90 (and I would) I wouldn't be bothered by the high miles, so long as it had a raft of receipts and bills for REPLACEMENT ancillaries such as wishbones, engine mounts, bets, rollers tensioners, discs and pads, swirl flaps etc etc. If you buy a lower mileage one, without that work having been done..... guess what you'll be doing if you keep it long enough......

I would be far happier with a well maintained and money spent on car, than one with low miles and nothing in the document folder.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 22:34   #7
Skidmarks

Colinbos thank you for your reply. I started at mileages of about 140k but it appeared I might be able to achieve less. I therefore aimed for around the 110k mark to ensure that the belts had been done. Have I overlooked any other big expense looming around that mileage?
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:20   #8
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarks View Post
Colinbos thank you for your reply. I started at mileages of about 140k but it appeared I might be able to achieve less. I therefore aimed for around the 110k mark to ensure that the belts had been done. Have I overlooked any other big expense looming around that mileage?
At that Mileage, in my experience the suspension system will need attention, if it hasn't had any at all. Engine mounts will also need attention. I would be looking at checking the PCV lines and the PCV valve itself to save any future oil issues.

Subframes bushes will be weaker, but can be attended to by using bush inserts (a far quicker and cheaper job) rather than taking the subframe out and replacing the bushes themselves.

These cars are complex. But they are good. If you get one that is right, then you'll be very lucky indeed. Keep some money in reserve for repairs and updating it after you've had it a few weeks.

Ive done all of the above replacements, and more still ! Has it been a pain, Yes - absolutely. Is it the best car Ive ever owned, Yes. Its huge carrying capacity and practicality is far beyond anything i expected. When you get one, and its sorted mechanically, you'll be very happy, as I am.
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 12:04   #9
Skidmarks

Thanks, yes I've done loads of research and concluded an XC90 was the vehicle for us, but finding a decent one (there always seems to be an issue) and moving quickly enough to secure it is another matter. Even looked above my budget. There does seem to be a lot of actives not selling too. I've been watching the main selling sites and these "basic" spec cars seem to struggle to sell. In your opinion is there a down side to getting an active which has a load of options added to it?
Old May 22nd, 2018, 15:11   #10
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

You probably know more than me about whats selling and what isn't, so Im afraid I don't have an opinion on that.

You buy what you like don't you. I don't care for fitted Sat Navs (I have my own as I tow a caravan so small roads are no good for me), The latest sound system or Tvs etc etc. So long as I have real leather, and a colour I like, Im happy. The more gadgets the more to go wrong, dont they say
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post: