Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bought 1962 PV 544 in US

Views : 2877

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2018, 00:37   #1
adarvasi

Default Just bought 1962 PV 544 in US

Cheers to all,
This is my first posting in the forum.
Yesterday I bought a 1962 544 in eBay, looks great, hope it drives great too. I live in Mexico City, so now I am in the process of investigating the best way to get it here.
How could I find out if the car is Swedish or US? The VIN No is 628359981?
Where could I find out the original appareance or the car? I.e. bunpers and wheel covers? It has a trim around the trunk lid, and I think that that is not original.
Thank you in advance ror your advice
adarvasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adarvasi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 08:25   #2
old fart
Master Member

Looks tidy. It has the later wheels, and late Amazon steering wheel, and you're right about the trim round the boot, also on the sills ( rockers ?). A lot of US cars have those bumper bars.
Have fun!
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 10:05   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

Welcome to this forum - you will find lots of help on here as although PVs never officially imported into the UK are very popular.

On my humble computer I can add that the front wheels and caps are from a Volvo Amazon, which might imply it is wearing the front beam axle from one and thus enjoy the benefit of front disc brakes. From visual comparisons with my '58 444 that engine could also be a twin-carb unit from an Amazon as the rocker-box cover seems as far as I can see to have a different rib-pattern to mine. Sorry can't identify trims - can barely see them on this machine!

Nevertheless a very nice car!

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 10:32   #4
Army
marches on his stomach

For the last two years of production the slotted "Amazon" wheels were fitted at the factory to the PV544 - so it isn't 100% period correct for a 1962 but it is only a few years out!

Your VIN at a guess is a US federal number - seems a bit long for a Volvo one. When you get the car the VIN and body type number can be found stamped on the engine bay bulkhead close to the fuse box. Those numbers can tell you more.

It isn't unusual to have more bling in the US of A or additional pin striping apparently some dealerships added this (to other vehicle types - in particular Mercedes) to suit local tastes - this could have been done to your PV for some time - or it is a more recent addition hiding something (!)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 14:05   #5
adarvasi

Thank you very much, I found the following site which was very helpful, ne might be for some of you if you are not yet familiar with it https://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe....Production.htm
I qlso found out that US cars were somehow differnt than Eiropean cars, as far as trim nd other features.
As for the boot trim, I will have to investigate further.
Again, many thanks
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 14:27   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Your car details are on the plate fastened to the bulkhead just above the screen was bottle. Take a picture and post it. Then we can give you all the details.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 14:31   #7
adarvasi

Thank you P for your kind words.
According to tne name plate type, the car is a 1962, with a B18 engine, twin carb, low compression, M40 transmission.
Apparently the wheels and cap are from a later model, however I have to investigate this farther because the trims and other feature where somehow different for the US models. It definetely dos not have fomt disk barks (unfortunately)
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 14:33   #8
adarvasi

Thank you OF, apparently the trims for North America were different, but the boot trim I have never seen it before, nd its suspicious.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 14:51   #9
blueosprey90
Master Member

The question is: How to get it to Mexico City from the US. I assume there are auto shippers who can handle that. Maybe even E-Bay has some suggestions.

I've thought of buying some vintage cars out of Canada and have never pulled the trigger due to the customs issues.

Good luck. I have a PV444. But trying to upgrade and stabilize, so have not used it too much.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 16:24   #10
adarvasi

There are really two possibilities, drive it or transport it, the distance is 2,200 miles, so it's a challenge doing it with an unknown 56 year old car, but I have done other risky things in my life, like flying all over the Caribbean, mostly over water, in a single engine piston aircraft, which of course you cannot park on the side of the road!
As for customs, that is not a problem, you can import cars to Mexico from any origin provided that they are over 30 years old.