Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Car, sunroof?

Views : 1531

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Would you spend £800 on a sunroof
Yes 8 22.22%
Possibly 2 5.56%
No way 26 72.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 22:22   #1
basher

Default New Car, sunroof?

Might be getting the oportunity to order a new car. I have been going throught the options list and see that a sunroof is £800, I have one in my current R and have used it about 5 times in over 3 years and that was mainly to see if it still worked!. So the question is would you pay £800 for one? I'm not unless they give it to me ;o), but just wondered if any one else would?

Last edited by basher; Jan 22nd, 2006 at 22:31. Reason: spelling
basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 22:31   #2
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Hi Basher,

I was stuck with exactly the same predicament 4 yrs ago when I ordered my T4. One would think that the words "Sun" and "UK" were somewhat contradictory but in my experience, the sunroof has been worth every penny. There are cool evenings when I just drive with it open to enjoy some fresh air and in the summer, its simply brilliant in cooling the car down quickly. Personally, on an estate, I would give it serious thought if I could order one again. On a saloon, I'd be reluctant because it does cause a significant reduction in rear headroom. The only problem you could encounter is it may rattle and leak after some time (mind you mine is fine even after 4 years) but my understanding is Volvo have repair kits (incl seals etc) for that very purpose.
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 22:46   #3
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up Sunroof

Hedley, I would spend the money on a sunroof as it does make a big difference in the summer and it gives you the opportunity to listen to the aural magic of the engine! A sunroof does have the added bonus of making the whole cabin much brighter as well allowing light into the car through the glass when shut.

Last edited by IC; Jan 24th, 2006 at 11:45.
IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:52   #4
MJKR

I prefer not to have sunroofs. Being 6 foot four I appreciate the extra headroom not having one gives you.

Also, if there is climate control/aircon, the roof is superfluous and only makes a source of excess heat in the summer.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:43   #5
adieu
Master Member

Default sunroof

I love my sunroof in the summer cruising down the country lanes with it open and the windows down......Or even just opening it to let the hot air out when you first get in.
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 13:47   #6
basher

As per my post ref New R, the new car has a sunroof but volvo UK Paid for it, so I get the benefits without the financial pain. It actually costs £850!! if you had to buy it. I'm sure the 850 & P1 R's came with a higher spec, i.e. they came standard with sunroof and electric passenger seat? Price goes up and value and spec goes down. I'm looking forward to the new car but there is now way I would have done it if it wasn't for the fact that volvo gave me extra money off + the VOC Affinity deal and all the profit from the dealer.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 17:05   #7
Aeroresh

I used the one on my Range Rover only this weekend....Blue skies but freezing cold.
Great with heater/heated seats/heated steering wheel ON!..almost like the joys of open air motoring.
However, if you only used the one on your previous car a few times Id say dont do it just for the sake of residuals
Aeroresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 18:36   #8
basher

How do you find the ride on your 19" rims? you running 225/35 or 235/35?
basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 18:05   #9
Aeroresh

Ride not too bad running on 235/35/19 Goodyear Eagle rubber. The key I think is in the Koni FSD shocks, although it maybe noted that when I ran the HEICO 19" rims with stock suspension there was barely any noticable deterioration in ride quality over OE 17" rims....a real show in the quality of design if the HEICO wheels...You get what you pay for
Aeroresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 18:17   #10
imac
Premier Member

No I wouldnt spend £800 on a sunroof. I too used it only a couple of times a year in my 850. My S60 doesn't have one and I don't miss it in the slightest.

I much prefer using the climate controls AC feature....
imac is offline   Reply With Quote