Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water leak - footwell & A-pillar?

Views : 6272

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 09:27   #1
ajh51

Default Water leak - footwell & A-pillar?

Hi All,

I bought (Amazon)Dean's grey 122s that he posted for sale on here just before Christmas. So this is my first post but probably not the first time the car has been discussed!

I have been suffering a water leak for a couple of months. I tracked one leak down to a leaky screen. The water was running down to the corner of the dash and dripping onto the floor.

After a search on here I sealed the screen with some suitable black mastic and that leak went away. However I am still getting wet floors.

I have spent some time this weekend really looking for the 2nd entry point and I have found that the water is seeping through the seam that runs vertically down the footwell wall, just to the right of the drivers legs, next to the bonnet release catch, behind the trim panel. It appears that the original seam sealer is cracked and water can seep through.

I'm obviously keen to stop this before it does any serious damage. I am assuming that water is getting in or around the A-pillar but I can't work out how.

Any thoughts/ideas/solutions gratefully received.

Cheers,
Andy Howlett.
ajh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 12:35   #2
TomTom
Master Member

I tried to go for that one myself but it got too rich for me...

First check all the possible entry points from the engine side, pedals, wires etc. Probably not this but worth checking. It could still be a part of the screen that is not adequately sealed. Also check that the drip holes are present at the bottom of each door. It doesn't sound like heater box because that would drip on the passenger side.

My car had its driver side front wing dented by a bash on the headlamp. This let water into the drivers footwell until I had it pulled straight and this must have closed off whatever gap was created by the shunt.

Good luck! Chasing leaks is THE most annnoying thing with Amazons, I find.
I hope you're enjoying the car in all other respects.

Tom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 13:26   #3
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
First check all the possible entry points from the engine side, pedals, wires etc. Probably not this but worth checking. It could still be a part of the screen that is not adequately sealed. Also check that the drip holes are present at the bottom of each door. It doesn't sound like heater box because that would drip on the passenger side.
Agreed - check all bulkhead grommets & whilst you're there also worth checking on the passenger side. The main loom goes through the bulkhead directly above the parcel shelf & I used to have leak problems there when driving in heavy rain (fine when parked) until I resealed it.

I've read about a supposedly leak proof special windscreen rubber seal that IPD sell, but their site just describes it as a screen seal, no more, no less. Does anyone else know more about this?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 20:35   #4
amazondean
amazondean

Hi Andy. When I had it, it only let a very small amount of water in on a very wet day in the winter. All the rest of the year it was bone dry. The small amount of water would be sat on the rubber mats as aposed to under it, so I was not too fussed. It could be a leaky screen rubber getting worse. I would be tempted to get a new rubber seal and get one of those companies that come to your house and do it so that you can give him the proper window sealant to use and watch him do it. Otherwise they never put sealant in and you will be back to square one. You would think they would be skilled enough to do such a simple job but I am affraid they often arn't.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 20:54   #5
grantbennett2

Default leak

It sounds like you have the same problem that I had.
My leak was on the passenger side and the water would seep through the seam ont the side footwell panel. I went through all the screen sealing routine and the leak was still there .

in the end i found that there was a very small pin hole under the channel that holds the bulkhead to bonnet rubber, this had allowed water to seep inside the base of the screen and rotted the area where the inner wing joins the bulkhead.

the inner wings had been replaced about 10 years ago and the contours around the end of the bulkhead and the area the outer wing bolts on at the base of the screen were full of filler. When i cleaned the area a lot of small holes were exposed.

after some new metal was let in and the area finished of with paint and dinitroled the water was kept out. The other side was checked and was ok.

the leak had caused my footwell to rot out through to the cross member underneath.

good luck
grantbennett2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 21:03   #6
amazondean
amazondean

There isnt such problems with andy's amazon. There is no filler or rot anywhere near or under the bulkhead. Andy's car may have been a few pounds dearer than some but I bet five years down the line it will end up cheaper than most when it has only cost just a few pounds to keep it on the road. That car is one of the most solid cars i've seen. Any rust issues will only be very localised but deffinately not the bulkhead. My gut feeling is the windscreen but I cannot be certain.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 09:58   #7
ajh51

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I reckon I'll start with the screen rubber and go from there.

I found further evidence to the argument that the screen rubber is at the end of it's useful life this morning. When I went out to the car I found the seats were soaking. Water is running in at the top of the screen and dripping off the rear view mirror.

It's never done that before today so I think the car is trying to tell me it is time for a new seal!

Is there a professional car screen sealing product I can get to give the guy that comes to refit the screen? I've been using a "roof and gutter sealant" which is black and sticky and never sets, so seems to fit the bill, but there must be a product specifically designed for this job?

thanks again.
Andy.
ajh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:09   #8
hairyapple
Queer4Amazons

Default hairyapple sez

I'm sure I was at least 1 person that mentioned the IPD fix. And it's true they don't elaborate on it's waterproofness on their website or in their catalog. I will call them today and get the low down and ask an IPD rep to write to the forum or translate myself.
hairyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 13:38   #9
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyapple View Post
I'm sure I was at least 1 person that mentioned the IPD fix. And it's true they don't elaborate on it's waterproofness on their website or in their catalog. I will call them today and get the low down and ask an IPD rep to write to the forum or translate myself.
That would be great, as I've been thinking about getting one

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 18:13   #10
BillKat

Andy, a chap that used to be in the trade mentioned 'Arbomast', a non-setting sealant. Frost also have something in their catalogue/site described as such. Haven't used either though, just storing up references because I'll have to do all my windows... (so you go first and let me know if they work! )
cheers
Bill
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BillKat For This Useful Post: