Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AWD / Bevel Gear Failure - Any Help from Volvo?

Views : 1872

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:15   #1
alanc

Default AWD / Bevel Gear Failure - Any Help from Volvo?

Having just got completely stuck on a gently inclined patch of damp grass with front wheels spinning I'm fairly sure I'm now the owner of a 2-wheel drive XC90. I've read through many of the forums on the web and it seems pretty obvious I have some kind of bevel gear problem.

I've had my XC90 from new (2003) and I think I've had my fair share of the common mechanical problems with this car. It's used mostly for motorway cruising and I'm now up to 115,000 miles. However I have a suspicion (unproveable of course) that I may have lost 4-wheel capability ages ago, but with no warning facility I never realised it (I had big trouble pulling out of a snowy layby about 2 years ago).

Given the cost of repair I understand one option is to just leave it as it is and carry on with front drive only. But I'd like to get the AWD back just in case I need it again in the future - and to my mind doing nothing lets Volvo off the hook of their responsibility if there really is a weak bit of engineering here. It seems like it's a common enough problem to suggest that's the case and by all accounts this part should last a lifetime.

Has anyone had any success getting Volvo UK to contribute to the repair bill ? If you did, was it given generously or after a struggle ?

Any advice would be appreciated - and thanks.
alanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 22:30   #2
thedoctor

Cool AWD Problem

I have recently bought a 55 plate volvo xc90 with 72000 miles on the clock - nice vehicle but i found out today that it is probably only 2 wheel drive. My local garage thinks it is the link from the transmission to rear axle? They have done one before and quoted about £180 labour (6 hours) plus parts and oil etc of about a further £180. I am taking it in this coming monday for a proper investigation. Will let you know if they are on the right track!
thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 22:57   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

the thing which "goes" is the splined coupling £85 and volvo official time is 2.5 hours to get the angle gear out and in , so they are overcharging you a lot! you should get the whole job done for £200 with those unbelievable rates of £30 an hour .. How can a man even cover his overheads let alone make a profit ?
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:47   #4
AB-UK
Premier Member

I agree - my Indy's charges are around £60 an hour - and I don't believe he is ripping me off either (the local main dealer seems to be charging £90 an hour).
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angle gear, awd, bevel gear, failure