Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oldie back after years lol XC90 d5 2010 185

Views : 306

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2024, 20:17   #1
Merc85
Premier Member

Default Oldie back after years lol XC90 d5 2010 185

Good evening people i hope your all well,

We have a Volvo back in the family after many years! She is a xc90 D5 on a 2010 plate, covered 123k and has a Polstar map from Volvo from new.

We are having abit of a random issue, with the car going into reduced power mode "Engine system service required" message. this happens around every 300 miles or so and every time has been on a hill boosting from pulling out of a junction under load.

Trouble codes

18BO / swirl Actuator offset fault,
135F / mass air flow Sensor faulty signal
1507 / Turbo control. too low pressure

there is also a transmission code

0a31 Control module communitcation Signal missing from ECM

The 1st one i think is the Swirl flap rod is missing unsure how long as the car is new to me.

The car has Power restored if i stop and cycle the ignition but the message is still pressant obviously.

Checked for boost leaks and cannot see any, the lower intake pipe "plastic one" with orange seals to turbo was damp so ive tightened the clip as it was a little loose.

I decoked the EGR as it was chocker with carbon, now its all clean but the problem persists.

Ive a new Bosch maf on order and will get that Rod for the flaps fitted to and go from there.

HLM304, Forge unos 17.5psi at 3.8 bar, 18t, Me7 Manifold, Blues, Walbro, De-cat, Ported n Polished Head, 3" Dp stainlesss exhaust, Carbon Air intake, Polly Bushed thoughout.

Last edited by Merc85; Mar 12th, 2024 at 20:20.
Merc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 21:57   #2
Carlosos

Sounds like a turbo issue but as your doing you need to sort out the other issues first as it’s possible turbo issues would be more expensive.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlosos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 21:13   #3
wynnj
Master Member

When I had similar issues I finally traced it to the air pressure sensor that is fixed to the nearside of the intercooler. Bought a bosch replacement from Carparts4Less ~£30 (collectected from EuroCarParts) and the problem went away. N.B. the same part on the ECP web site was ~50!
You should check the inercooler hoses for leaks too, and possibly a vacuum line test.

Last edited by wynnj; Mar 14th, 2024 at 21:15.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 14:59   #4
Merc85
Premier Member

Smile Update

So a small update,

I fitted a New Bosch Maf sensor, along with a new Rod for the intake flaps.

Tightened up a loose jubilee clip holding the plastic intercooler pipe to the rubber one which comes down from the turbo.

Checked for leaks then noticed 1 or both engine mounts are weak as i had the engine popping sound from the oil filler cap, i cured this by temporally blocking the vac lines from the mounts and the actuator/valve.

Have done approx. 100+ miles and have hadn't any more issues, so 2x engine mounts will be done very soon.

Thanks for all the replies

HLM304, Forge unos 17.5psi at 3.8 bar, 18t, Me7 Manifold, Blues, Walbro, De-cat, Ported n Polished Head, 3" Dp stainlesss exhaust, Carbon Air intake, Polly Bushed thoughout.
Merc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 17:20   #5
Carlosos

Good news then. Nothing like the good feeling of tracking down a tricky problem.
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlosos For This Useful Post: