Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What do you think about this used XC90?

Views : 1272

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:27   #21
keith240
keith240

Default Where have you gone Tomas ?

Don't leave us in suspense. What was it like if you saw it in the end ?
keith240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 12:59   #22
Justtom

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith240 View Post
Don't leave us in suspense. What was it like if you saw it in the end ?
Sorry about that, after went to check it out I got very sick and then I was busy with all the stuff that was not done due to the sickness.

I will post my findings a little bit later today as I am currently at work and I have no time. In the end I did not buy the car.
Justtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 09:57   #23
Justtom

So to finish this thread off:

As soon as I saw the car I was a bit disappointed. In the pictures it looked like a very nice red, but in reality it was this pinkish light red color that I did not particularly like. Door handles were also pretty "sunburned". The interior was not in a very good shape, had some bits falling off and the cup holder in the back was broken off.

I got under the car. The propshaft was ok, only had a little what I assume is normal movement, but no spin. The rear subframe though had quite a lot of rust. The tires were pretty hard and unevenly worn with there being almost no thread on some, even though they were newish. I suspect there are some alignment issues either in the rear, or if they switched the fronts with the rears, in the front.

I checked under the hood: Everything seemed clean and there were no visible oil leaks. Only on one of the air conditioning metal tubes where the hose connects to the pipe there was some oily dirt. Don't know if it was a leak or only condensation. Then I saw the timing belt sticker. The belts were indeed changed by a Volvo dealer, but the trouble is, it was done about 10 years ago at 140000 km (86992 miles) and the car now is at 327000 km (203188 miles).

I got in the car: all the electronics seem to be working well. I turned the ignition and was greeted with a "airbag needs service, urgent" message on the board computer.

I started driving: The car was driving and shifting well. It was very nice when you push down on the throttle, it was very responsive. The shifts you could barely feel. the brakes were stopping the car evenly. When driving in a straight line the car was pulling to the right a little too much. This could be an alignment issue or maybe the tire was a little bit low on air pressure. When I tried reverse parking I was a bit disappointed that there were no parking sensors even though in their website the dealer stated that there are. The handbrake was holding pretty well.

When I finished my ride a new message appeared on the dash to "Check brake light". I walked around the car with the yellow button pressed on the remote but not all the lights were working.

In the end I talked to my mechanic friend about this and he recommended to walk away. I also though even if they fix all the stuff I wouldn't want a car with a rusty subframe as Id rather buy a rust free Dutch car than a rusty Swedish import.

And there it is, closure.
Justtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 11:18   #24
Carlosos

Wise choice I think. Don’t be put off though there are plenty of good ones.
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 11:58   #25
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justtom View Post
So to finish this thread off:

As soon as I saw the car I was a bit disappointed. In the pictures it looked like a very nice red, but in reality it was this pinkish light red color that I did not particularly like. Door handles were also pretty "sunburned". The interior was not in a very good shape, had some bits falling off and the cup holder in the back was broken off.

I got under the car. The propshaft was ok, only had a little what I assume is normal movement, but no spin. The rear subframe though had quite a lot of rust. The tires were pretty hard and unevenly worn with there being almost no thread on some, even though they were newish. I suspect there are some alignment issues either in the rear, or if they switched the fronts with the rears, in the front.

I checked under the hood: Everything seemed clean and there were no visible oil leaks. Only on one of the air conditioning metal tubes where the hose connects to the pipe there was some oily dirt. Don't know if it was a leak or only condensation. Then I saw the timing belt sticker. The belts were indeed changed by a Volvo dealer, but the trouble is, it was done about 10 years ago at 140000 km (86992 miles) and the car now is at 327000 km (203188 miles).

I got in the car: all the electronics seem to be working well. I turned the ignition and was greeted with a "airbag needs service, urgent" message on the board computer.

I started driving: The car was driving and shifting well. It was very nice when you push down on the throttle, it was very responsive. The shifts you could barely feel. the brakes were stopping the car evenly. When driving in a straight line the car was pulling to the right a little too much. This could be an alignment issue or maybe the tire was a little bit low on air pressure. When I tried reverse parking I was a bit disappointed that there were no parking sensors even though in their website the dealer stated that there are. The handbrake was holding pretty well.

When I finished my ride a new message appeared on the dash to "Check brake light". I walked around the car with the yellow button pressed on the remote but not all the lights were working.

In the end I talked to my mechanic friend about this and he recommended to walk away. I also though even if they fix all the stuff I wouldn't want a car with a rusty subframe as Id rather buy a rust free Dutch car than a rusty Swedish import.

And there it is, closure.
Wise move. I thought it was overpriced anyway. I know cars are more expensive where you are, but I think you're better off paying a bit more (if possible) and buying something in better condition with lower miles.