Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The worlds most difficult experiment

Views : 1995

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:10   #1
Matt_Watkins

Default RE: The worlds most difficult experiment

I tried it after volvo reset my trip computer. I had a week off work to finish my kitchen and used the car to take the wife back and forth to work which is about 15miles of duel carrigeway. So full tank of fuel and off I went. AS described above. It is so hard not to floor it now and again. The tank was half full when I re-filled it and worked out that It had done 29mpg but the trip computer showed 27.8....
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:36   #2
burchi

Hi Andy

I was forced into this experiment recently as one of my sensors was out and I was advised to drive the car "carefully" until it was fixed.

I got 420 miles out of a tank of Optimax and the trip computer showed an average MPG of 29.1!! Bloody boring though!

It's now fixed and I'm back to the normal average MPG of 23 - 24!! Much more fun this way.

Good luck!!

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:16   #3
Andy
Master Member

Seem to remember hitting 30mpg after the engine had been rebuilt. Didn't take it over 2500 revs for 1500 miles YAWN. Think that was 420 miles to a tank.

I now get excited when I hit 21.6 after running at 21.5 for a few months.

Need to buy a diesel, stop spending £800+ on insurance a year and £350 a month on Optimax. But that would be no fun.

That Toureg W10 diesel would be an interesting drive.... ;)
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:19   #4
volvotuning

Mine has just been sold for that very reason Andy!!!! I'm now looking for a diesel.

Adam.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 13:29   #5
Mrsmopp

I get 28.7mpg anyway and thats my everyday driving (ie like my right foot is made of lead!)

x
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 13:51   #6
burchi

How an earth do you manage that from a T5? That's pretty impressive. There's Guys on the forums getting average 20/21!

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 14:37   #7
big h

If you manage a whole tank of fuel Andy, I'll be bloody surprised, as other posters have said, its painfully boring not engaging that turbo! I had to drive a week like an OAP (sorry any VOC OAP's) due to trouble with my car a couple of weeks ago. Nearly went mad!

I think you're right it could be the world's most difficult experiment.

Ian/Andy over 400 miles to a tank!!!!!! bloody hell, you deserve a f@$*!>` medal!!!
RICA ECU upgrade, IPD Grille, C70 Clear h/ligthts, Dynaudio speaker upgrade, Powerflex top mount, F1 filter, OEM strut brace, blue tints, 18" Pegasus, Goodyear F1's. VST lip, Blackthorn Performance CAT, 4" S/steel exhaust
big h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 21:34   #8
Wentworth Man
VOC Member

Remind's me of Clarkson's great experiment with the Audi A8(?) diesel driving everywhere at feather touch and listening to radio 4 (or was it 2) but he did get to Edinburgh and back to London on one tank some 800 miles. But then he could do it with a tickover of 1000 RPM which is a bit more of a challenge in T5.
'92 945 S 150K

The Moon is 238857 miles distant from the Earth so I've been to the moon and back in mine...and it only took me 14 years!
Wentworth Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 22:57   #9
rawmusic

My experiment is to see how long it is before I can finish one trip, no matter how short, without just once hitting the gas. My justification is that if I drive slowly for 10 minutes, then I deserve a little back massage.

As it happens, I did try the other night, on a 45 minute town drive (stop start) to pull away really gently and brake well in advance. This made almost no difference. It is the town driving that crucifies my mpg. Motorways and dual carriageways seem acceptable. My current average on this tank is 19.2 mpg, so take heart!

I didn't buy this car for the economy figures! As soon as it dies (I can't afford to sell it) I will buy a diesel. Hopefully, being a Volvo, it won't be for a few more years yet.

Richard Whennell
855 T5 1995
VOC member
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 23:29   #10
doorman

Well done Richard, shows your driving correctly, if you got it use it. I tried the economy run my self the other week, going down a long twisty hill, computer registered 99mpg, but at the end of my journey, I still ended up with just 21 wonderful fun packed miles to the gallon. :)

Dave
V70 'R' AWD
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote