Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 340 won't go over 50mph ...help !

Views : 1278

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 22:48   #1
bev

Default Volvo 340 won't go over 50mph ...help !

Hi,
Hope someone has some idea on this problem, I have a Volvo 340DL 1400 Automatic D-reg with 22000 genuine miles on the clock, no modifications, it has been driving great, but yesterday when I started driving from cold, it was really dragging...just wouldn't go any faster than 20mph - when the engine warmed up...it would go as fast as 50mph, this car has been a nice little mover till now, normally get 70+ easy ..even when cold.
I have checked my spark plugs, distributar cap, leads, pipes, and carb for signs of leaks but to no avail, the car don't cut out or anything like that...it will drive normally when warm under 50mph, but try to go faster and it will surge and really drag.
this has came on all of a sudden, can anyone help me with this problem please ???

thanks in advance

Bev

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:25   #2
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: Volvo 340 won't go over 50mph ...help !

I'm sorry I've only ever owned manual 340's but if the car idles and runs normally I would suspect the CVT transmission is faulty. the only things I know about that is the clutch adjustment has to be right and the belts have to be in good condition and the oil has to be clean.

The clutch doesn't drag at idle so that would appear to be OK.

When were the belts last changed? That could well be a problem.

The Oil could do with being changed as well. It uses an 80w/90 Hypoid type IIRC.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:35   #3
bev

Hiya,
I think you could be write, I have been trying to listen when driving for noises and things...and I have noticed a slight scraping noise when I rev the engine, ..and when trying to go over 50mph...there is a dragging sound for about 3 seconds and then silence for about 3 seconds and so on, maybe I am stuck in 3rd gear and can't get to 4th, sounds a possibility, I am going to check the oil top it up...and try it again, I have had the car since february of this year and the car had one owner from new, considering it only had 18000 miles on the clock it never have been driven much, the old lady I baught the car off had all the receipts of parts since she baught the car, ..and that was a new battery thats all !
I was driving the car today and I managed to get to 70mph :7 and then it dragged and crept back down to 50mph and stayed there. :(
get back to the group soon

thanks for replying.

Bev
Old Oct 14th, 2002, 18:23   #4
vannut

This could be a problem with your piping! The cvt is varied by a vacuum system, with pipes from the inlet manifold to the control unit for the belts.

If you look around the carb/inlet manifold area I would guess you have a rubber pipe with a hole in it. If there is no vacuum, i.e. when you'rer accelerating with the throttle open, the gearing drops to the lowest ratio. When you lift off as you reach higher speed this creates a vacuum and the gearing changes up. It should be fairly obvious if it's at the engine end. (If it's at the transmission end it will be harder to spot.

Good luck!
Old Oct 19th, 2002, 22:26   #5
bev

Default RE: Volvo 340 won't go over 50mph ...help ! (

Hiya,
just like to update the problem I've had with my volvo 340, ...ITS FIXED !! :7 , ..ooops, right where was I ? ah right, I managed to find the problem ..quite simple really...I did notice it when I checked last time but thaught I shouldn't touch just in case it was the wrong thing, ..., I took the air filter off , and there are 3 screws on the top of the carbareter ...and they had came loose, it was just enough looseness to move with your hand, so I tightened them, and took it for a spin.... and, Yeeeeesssssssssss ..its fixed...I have got full power back... even the kickdown works too, something so simple, BUT so easy to overlook !
so I would just like to thank all who helped me in fixing it. :*

Bev & Mart
Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:26   #6
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: Volvo 340 won't go over 50mph ...help ! (

That's great!! I didn't expect that because carb looseness or air leaks normally give trouble at idle only, but its great that you fixed it.

Word of warning, don't overtighten. You know, don't really lean on the spanner, otherwise you'll crack gaskets, they're only plastic and more seriously you'll encourage warping.

Oh, actually I think you might be talking about the three nuts on the plastic housing on TOP of the carb. Be very careful with these ones, they'll either go straight through the plastic or they'll strip the threads on the lid of the carb.

Anyway its great you found the problem.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote