Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best Product for dehazing headlights

Views : 2038

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2015, 17:46   #11
SkintKnuckles

Default Try this ....

Hi all,

+1 for the 3M kit, as above. Also available on amazon (spit!):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headlight.../dp/B0078IHJ1K

NB For this strategy, you WILL need a drill, ideally a corded one. Plan on 20 mins total time per headlight. You could go manually, but it'd take an age!

After you’ve obtained the desired finish – which should be like new – you need to use a UV stabiliser to ‘cure’ the finish. If not, the strong UV from the lamp will severely yellow the plastic of the lenses.

You can use the stuff shown below, which takes a further 2-3 mins per headlight.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Surface-Seal...317101-8931140

See attached pdf for before/after.

The level of restoration is pretty satisfying, which is great as this is a cheap fix, and takes < 1 hour, all in. The photos don’t do justice to how bad the lenses were before. This is due to alcohols in the cleaning reservoir (which act as antifreeze) damaging the plastic of the lens.

Enjoy! Good luck

Cheers
Neil
Attached Files
File Type: pdf V70 headlamp restoration.pdf (172.1 KB, 47 views)
SkintKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 17:56   #12
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkintKnuckles View Post
Hi all,

+1 for the 3M kit, as above. Also available on amazon (spit!):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headlight.../dp/B0078IHJ1K

NB For this strategy, you WILL need a drill, ideally a corded one. Plan on 20 mins total time per headlight. You could go manually, but it'd take an age!

After you’ve obtained the desired finish – which should be like new – you need to use a UV stabiliser to ‘cure’ the finish. If not, the strong UV from the lamp will severely yellow the plastic of the lenses.

You can use the stuff shown below, which takes a further 2-3 mins per headlight.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Surface-Seal...317101-8931140

See attached pdf for before/after.

The level of restoration is pretty satisfying, which is great as this is a cheap fix, and takes < 1 hour, all in. The photos don’t do justice to how bad the lenses were before. This is due to alcohols in the cleaning reservoir (which act as antifreeze) damaging the plastic of the lens.

Enjoy! Good luck

Cheers
Neil
I was interested in your advice regarding the UV stabiliser. However, in the link you kindly provided it clearly says not for use on Polycarbonate!

I have to say that having done it with the 3M kit to make them really good only using the very fine grade then the wet pad, I still use some of the polish on the wheel every now and then just to keep the yellowness at bay.

All said, before I had the 3M kit - I won it in a raffle - I did the job extremely well with different grades of wet-and-dry starting from 1,500 grit and down incrementally to 2,000, 2,500 and finished with 3,000. Each time rubbing at right angles from the previous grade. Followed with a proper polish with metal polish then some normal car polish. It was time consuming, but as good a result as with the 3M kit which I've since used on another car.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Nov 17th, 2015 at 18:11.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 18:44   #13
SkintKnuckles

Hi Swedish,

you are absolutely correct! At the time of doing the Volvo headlights, I was to-ing and fro-ing about whether to treat the bulb or the headlight lens, as either approach should work. All you really need is a 'sunscreen' for the emitted UV light from the halogens.

In practice, I checked out the ingredients and could see no obvious reason why the stabiliser should affect the plastic lenses on the Volvo (I'm a physical-organic chemist by training). However, one could simply 'paint' the stabiliser onto the dipped and main beam halogens and get the same effect, but I was less sure about the thermal resistance of the stabiliser during cycling on hot bulbs. Thus, I just went ahead and used it on the lens and I've had no issues to date, and no yellowing. However, its good to be paranoid and careful about these issues. Well spotted

To be honest, the absolute worst thing you can put on these headlights is the concentrated windscreen wash solution. A bit of a design flaw in either the screen wash or the lens material methinks!

cheers
Neil
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 19:33   #14
Longhouse21
Master Member

Might sound a bit daft but I've used Autoglym SRP on the polycarb lenses on both a Mazda Demio (wife's old car) and a current Honda HRV run-about I use. The results on the Mazda where very impressive and made them look like new - even the wife commented! On the Honda it makes an improvement but I find I need to repeat it every 6 months or so. Reasoned that it's a fine polish with some filler ability and it works a treat on paintwork so couldn't see any real harm with the polycarb lenes.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 20:55   #15
andylane1

The 3M kit everyone is referring to above is fantastic but does need a Drill. You can pick up a cordless drill fairly cheaply nowadays. I do recommend the UV protection above as if you do not put some sort of protective layer on them they will start to yellow fairly quickly after. Autoglym have just released a new product which does the same as the 3M stuff and at the same price so I will try that on the Volvo. I used the 3M stuff and the UV Stuff on my Honda Accord, with Polycarbonate lenses and it did no damage what so ever. I've posted a link below to a video I put together when I did the Honda and as you can see the before and after is a huge difference with very little effort. I'll be putting another one together when I do the Volvo. Although I may remove the lenses when I do the Volvo as even with the masking tape I managed to scuff the paint on the bumper of the Honda and I don't want to do that on the Volvo.

Heres the link https://youtu.be/XcoWvVb5eFA

You can do it by hand with Wet/Dry sand paper (500-grit rough sanding, 800-grit fine sanding, 1200-grit wet sanding), a bucket and some T-Cut, Oh and some Elbow grease but the drill will cut down the time to about 30-40 mins a headlight.

Hope this helps
Andy

Last edited by andylane1; Nov 17th, 2015 at 21:00. Reason: Adding Grit rating for sandpaper
andylane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 22:29   #16
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkintKnuckles View Post
...you are absolutely correct! At the time of doing the Volvo headlights, I was to-ing and fro-ing about whether to treat the bulb or the headlight lens, as either approach should work. All you really need is a 'sunscreen' for the emitted UV light from the halogens.
My understanding is that the biggest cause of UV damage is sunlight rather light from the bulb. If it were coming from the bulb then surely all the cloudiness would be on the inside of the lens? The headlights on my campervan go hazy even when parked up for a few months.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 11:03   #17
SkintKnuckles

Hi Simon,

for sure the lens will 'see' UV light from any source and the damage therein will depend on the relative intensity and duration of different UV sources.

Without getting a piece of the lens and checking its spectroscopic properties, its difficult to say how much UV light is transmitted through the lens (from the halogen) vs incident UV light hits it from the sun. Many plastics cut out >98% of UV light, but the remaining 2% can be quite damaging, especially from an intense, close up source like the halogens.

Thus, I'm agnostic on which is worse - incident sun UV vs emitted from the halogen. However, I do think the halogen is a very bright source, is very close to the lens, and likely to produce more intense UV than incident sunlight, for more hours per day (compared to the sun), at least up here in Scotland. However, if it turns out that the lens is made from a material that doesn't allow much UV light to transmit through it (i.e. from the halogen), then you would be absolutely right that, in this situation, environmental UV would determing yellowing rate.

If I had a spare lens or piece of one, I could get it measured so that we have a definitive answer to this, and where best to apply the stabiliser.... This is the science nerd in me raising its head!

cheers
Neil
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 14:56   #18
4candles
I've Been Banned

Talking

Heat pan up to high heat, pour in some wine and..... oh thats deglazing,

Last edited by 4candles; Nov 18th, 2015 at 14:59.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 18:08   #19
henrycrun

Was told at last MOT that clear lenses are now a requirement.

Has anyone had such a failure ?
henrycrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2015, 15:33   #20
raleigh753

Had an advisory today on my MOT for both headlights - reduced output . Just ordered the 3M kit from Amazon as mentioned in the thread.
raleigh753 is offline   Reply With Quote