Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amsoil Products Discounts to VOC Members

Views : 22388

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 20:20   #1
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up Amsoil Products Discounts to VOC Members

Amsoil are pleased to offer a 10% discount to VOC Members.
1)They will pay the postage if the total including discounts comes to more than £100.
2)The price is the cost price as per their very good deal with ANC, members are welcome to collect from Oxford (jtn 7 M40) or Hounslow by Heathrow.
3) Amsoil are the Sole UK Importer and will beat anyone elses price on their products.
4) Amsoil can take your money electronically on the link below.
Here's the Link http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/

Some members have been using their products for some time but they have only had a web site up and running this year. They previously concentrated on supplying trade customers but will now supply club members and can take payment via pay pal etc etc. They honestly believe this stuff to be the very best (as do independant tests) they are not tied to Amsoil and also stock some Redline Torquo ZX1 etc products but Amsoil is thought as the best by some.

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

Last edited by IC; Sep 9th, 2006 at 22:52.
IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:57   #2
A- W

Thanks for the link Ian.

Just one question, as I have never bought oil for a mechanic to change, how much would be advisable on my S60?
A- W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 22:58   #3
amsoil

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A- W View Post
Thanks for the link Ian.

Just one question, as I have never bought oil for a mechanic to change, how much would be advisable on my S60?
non turbo
1st choice Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
2nd choice SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
3rd choice SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

Automatic Transmission,AW50AWD.....TIV
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Automatic Transmission,AW55-50SN.....TIV

Engine, with filter..........5.5 liters[1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........8.0 liters
Automatic Transmission, AW55-50SN Initial Fill..........3.0 liters[2]
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill..........7.5 liters
Manual Transmission, M56 TRANS..........2.1 liters

Turbo
1st choice Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
2nd choice SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
3rd choice SAE 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

Automatic Transmission,AW50AWD.....TIV
Automatic Transmission,AW55-50SN.....TIV

Engine, with filter..........5.8 liters[1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........8.0 liters
Automatic Transmission, AW55-50SN Initial Fill..........3.0 liters[2]
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill..........7.5 liters
Manual Transmission, M56 TRANS..........2.1 liters

The above is a guide ; do check your owners manual.
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 19:43   #4
A- W

Sorry been miles away.

It is a 2004 D5 SE. Just hitting 68k.

So around 16/17 litres then? What would I expect to pay for the good stuff?
Would it be changed still annually?
How much would you expect a garage to 'knock off' the £175 + VAT service fee if I brouught my own oil to the party presuming they accept me bringing it along.
A- W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 23:45   #5
Pete_L

Thanks for the info amsoil. One question what's the difference between the two auto trans oils and which should I use in my 850 GLT non turbo? Well ok that's 2 questions, sorry.

Pete
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 20:30   #6
amsoil

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_L View Post
Thanks for the info amsoil. One question what's the difference between the two auto trans oils and which should I use in my 850 GLT non turbo? Well ok that's 2 questions, sorry.

Pete
The Amsoil synthetic ATF is the one for cars The Amsoil ATD Torque Drive although suitable and exceeding the required spec was designed with larger vehicles and trucks in mind. The cost difference is negligable.
Hope this assists
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:40   #7
amsoil

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by A- W View Post
Sorry been miles away.

It is a 2004 D5 SE. Just hitting 68k.

So around 16/17 litres then? What would I expect to pay for the good stuff?
Would it be changed still annually?
How much would you expect a garage to 'knock off' the £175 + VAT service fee if I brouught my own oil to the party presuming they accept me bringing it along.
Garages are actually having a hard time and need to make money wherever they can. Oil is one place. It is rare for a garage to use a very good quality oil as the price they quote would have to be higher and they would loose custom to other struggling garages who quote lower with cheap oil. The mark up on oil and filter will be high. As a result you may not be getting quite what you think you are paying for which is why people are now taking in their own oil. Perhaps the garage will knock £40 off the price which will give you an idea.
With oil you generally get what you pay for. The Multi National have huge advertising costs which have to be passed on to you the customer. which can reduce what you get for your hard earned. On the flip side occasionally companies like Mobil will 'dump' old spec oil to Cost Co or the like when the label or mix is changed. If you are in luck this can be a real bargain. viz £25 for 5L of good synthetic.
Expect to pay double this otherwise.
Mineral oil does work fine but has its drawbacks. People rave that if it meets the Volvo spec it is fine etc etc. What Volvo are saying is that if it doesn't even meet this low standard then they wont even stand by the warranty period! Remember all oils degrade with use, in general the cheaper the oil the quicker it will degrade and sooner it will need changing. It is therefore totally false economy to pay half the price of a top synthetic for a mineral oil that will be changed perhaps 4 times more often. The opposite is also true; there is little point in buying a top synthetic to change it after 4,000 miles. A further factor to add in is that if you pay for someone to change your oils this should be added to the cost; if you have an oil that will last twice as long then this cost is clearly half. (never mind the time and trouble). There are synthetic oils out there that are advertised to do 18,000miles , 25,000 miles and even 35,000 miles; in the modern world of litigation you can guarantee that they will too.
Further considerations are that you might really need a high spec oil to resist the high temp breakdown a turbo causes. With winter upon us a low 1st number ie 0w-30 or 5w-30 will ease starting as it means the oil is relatively thin at cold. This could save you the cost of a new battery and will make the warm up period shorter and more economical. A real synthetic, Amsoil, Motul, Redline etc (not halfrauds please) will have a greater film strength as a thinner 30 grade than will any mineral 40 weight oil (this is the 2nd number) You can therefore run the thinner 0w-30 or 5w-30 in a synthetic rather than perhaps a 10w-40 in a mineral oil with the advantages of better starting better protection plus a little bit more power (because less power is consumed pumping and spinning through it) and better fuel economy (2 - 8% we are told by testers) Emissions can also be reduced)
At the end of the day you pays your money and you makes your choice.... Just make sure that you know what you are getting and that you are getting what you pay for.

Last edited by amsoil; Oct 28th, 2006 at 12:44.
The Following User Says Thank You to amsoil For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 13:05   #8
chow

gsf are selling total quartz 5-40 full synthetic for around twenty quid for 5 litres at the moment which compared to some prices seems rather a good deal http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ no doubt some "expert" will be wheeled out shortly to rubbish it but the API spec seems more than adequate to me http://www.total.co.in/lub/lubroot.n...256EF3004DB954&

Last edited by chow; Oct 28th, 2006 at 13:09.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 06:48   #9
peterelectric
VOC Member

Default additives high mileage cars with amesoil

What about additives such as ametech do your oils neded them. A lot of us have high mileage cars ( there I go praising Volvos again!), do you do a high mileage oil for older type engines, or is this just a marketing ruse by other oil makers (e.g. Castrol GTX for high mileage older engine cars)
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 14:15   #10
Major Look
VOC Member

Default Oil is oil, is oil, ain't it?

What's all this then? Amsoil? Never heard of it. Garages not using quality oil? You're joking? Why, exactly, should we be concerned enough to take our own oil to a Volvo garage at the next service? Spill the beans, I'm really worried now.
Major Look is offline   Reply With Quote