Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SWEM Start switch

Views : 1656

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 23:20   #1
48pop

Default SWEM Start switch

Installed mine tonight, 15 mins hanging around upside down underneath the dash......Works a treat, very well made piece of kit ! Recommended...

Cheers
Gerry
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 00:14   #2
222s
Amazoniste

I'm guessing it bypasses the somehwhat tempermental ignition switch, but otherwise know nothing about it - more details please!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 09:09   #3
48pop

Its a kit that bypasses the second stage of the ignition switch......Turn on the ignition, press the button to start, (just like the new Aston Martin !).

Worked fine, even with my my "interesting" wiring ! Saves stress and strain on the key.

For mounting, I used a hole that was there already.

Well made and not expensive, especially with the current exchange rates...

http://www.sw-em.com/swemkits.htm

Shot with EX-Z60 at 2007-07-21

Last edited by 48pop; Jul 21st, 2007 at 09:13.
48pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 16:42   #4
austingipsy

I did the same Gerry, didn't know there was a kit though, I picked up a rubber clad switch off ebay after a few scary twisty key moments when I first bought the car. Works great and strangely satisfying !

Last edited by austingipsy; Jul 21st, 2007 at 16:43. Reason: spelling of course
austingipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 00:21   #5
devilishdesigner

yeah, I did it myself on my 2 vw's that I had before the 'zon, and now thanks to the previous owner the 'zon has a keypad ignition with a push button start, so much better then straining keys, and it actually does feel pretty cool to do. very simple to wire up too.
devilishdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:16   #6
hairyapple
Queer4Amazons

Default hairyapple sez " SW-EM site worth reviewing

That boy, Ron Kwas I believe, hails from Connecticut just like me. His site is a mix of info plus self promoted and manufactured parts and accessories that we all might need now and then. I'm about to buy his alternator mounting kit and add a nice chromed GM rig to replace my ugly plus whimpy generator. He seems fully immersed in the Volvo life style.
hairyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:04   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Forum;

So...I've registered so that I may respond here...

48pop; Thanks for the kind words and reference!

222s; I wouldn't call the IGN switch "somehwhat tempermental"...in fact, I would call it pretty darned reliable, only with the downside of having an excessively powerful return spring on the momentary START position...and given the highly inductive load of the solenoid, which can cause contact welding, this is even understandable to some extent (designers needed to assure opening of the contact when releasing the key...if contacts weld closed, that's even worse...they just overdid it a bit!). Since the START key position therefore requires high force to overcome this gorilla spring, this is where keys typically fail...they rarely fail just turning ON the IGN (unless already pretorn)...so a START pushbutton is a very sensible upgrade and highly recommended for every owner of this vintage vehicle. The significance of the fact that most race cars, and a number of current high performance cars now also have them is left up to individual owners...

hairyapple; I used to be even more "immersed in the vintage Volvo lifestyle"...then I had a child...it refocuses you for a couple of years!...but he's almost driving age so I'm hoping he will develop the bug...

All; I generally hang out and check the Brickboard and Volvoniacs Fora, posting under my name and Ronzo, respectively, so please contact me there...there I can just about guarantee a response which I can't if you posted to me here....I just can't be everywhere at once...sorry!...my specialty is the electrical system (what little there is to it, thankfully), after some 50 years, there are some subtle areas of concern...but I suggest reading all the tech Articles and Service Notes on the SwEm site...I've tried to write up my experience of some 30 years with these vehicles, in conjunction with my electronic qualification, to make it interesting, useful, and entertaining (I hope) for other vintage Volvo owners...and for those who are not in a position to make their own upgrades based on the info presented, I offer these premade as SwEm kits (which at this point, with the exchange rate, might indeed be interesting for you).

...gotta go watch the Euro Grand Prix now...it's just not the same without Schumi!

Regards to the VOC Forum from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 00:52   #8
hairyapple
Queer4Amazons

Default hairyapple sez "Better be careful what you say.....

You never know who might be tuning in.
hairyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 21:25   #9
BillKat

My switch is stiffer than a stiff thing; does the panel think there's a way of oiling it? Squirts of plus Gas haven't achived much so far. or is the aux switch the only answer (short of replacing the orig one).
Got a pair of blanks from Amazon Cars, about £45 each I think. Local cutter copied my original for a beer voucher. But still I'm watchful for probs...
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 21:57   #10
mike gilbert
Master Member

If its really stiff thats wear and tear and I'd either change the switch or wire in a starter. All the suppliers of classic car accessories stock suitable switches so theres plenty of choice of styles and as has already been said wiring its a doddle. When my key started bending I even used a redundant heated rear window switch that was already in my dashboard before I got round to changing the igntion switch. I had to be carefull to switch it off as soon as the engine caught, so probably not recommended, but at least it glowed green (it had a bulb inside it) as the engine turned over, which was fun at night.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote