Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Yet more reasons why I love my Amazon!

Views : 1058

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 23:05   #1
222s
Amazoniste

Talking Yet more reasons why I love my Amazon!

Just been transporting a large armchair & a decent size sofa earlier this evening. With the back seat folded & the tailgates open, BOTH pieces of furniture fitted in the boot!!

I'd like to see any modern estate car manage that, let alone one which is only 4.4m long

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Jul 26th, 2007 at 23:07.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:04   #2
BillKat

Excellent... I got this body in mine with the gates shut, it's about 6 foot long
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:28   #3
222s
Amazoniste

Sounds about right as I can stretch out & sleep in the back (I'm 6'2") with the tailgates closed. Both the chap I was collecting the sofa & armchair from, & also my housemates couldn't believe it - neither could I to be honest, as I was expecting to strap one on the roofbars. Having that tailgate arrangement / extendible loadbay is so useful & just reinforces my view that nothing can beat an Amazon estate for practicality as a workhorse

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 13:12   #4
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

half wishing I hadn't sold mine now.
Always glad to hear another story of an old Volvo giving as good as and better than a modern car.
I sold mine because I thought it wouldn't be suitable for towing another Amaozn on a trailer which I regularly need to do.
I have a 940 with a 2.4 turbo diesel engine which is great for towing just about anything.
Tell me, how do you get on with the Amazon towing? What do you think the maximum safe / legal load would be for an Amazon estate to pull?

Cheers,

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 14:00   #5
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hunter View Post
Always glad to hear another story of an old Volvo giving as good as and better than a modern car.
Indeed! We met a few years ago (I bought an estate rear seat & a few other bits from you) so you've seen how scruffy my car is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hunter View Post
Tell me, how do you get on with the Amazon towing? What do you think the maximum safe / legal load would be for an Amazon estate to pull?
Although I find that it tows ok (the car & trailer in my sig pic were towed from Surrey to North Devon a few years ago), I've no idea what the actual legal weight is for an Amazon. Unlike a modern car, I suspect that there isn't a set limit so at the (in)discretion of the Feds .

The only thing that worried me was the braking, as I don't have a servo. Fine in normal driving, but with that little lot on the back, there were a few scary moments slowing down from high speed until the trailer brakes were tripped (required a very strong stamp on the pedal....) but fine once that had happened. On smooth motorways, 60mph was fine, but on less good surfaces (even dual carriageways) the tail sometimes wanted to wag the dog above 50mph.

My engine is a twin carb B20 with D cam & Simonz exhaust so the extra power & torque certainly helps matters. However I wouldn't consider towing anything heavy with a non o/d saloon as the gearing for 1st will be too high for pulling away comfortably. Also if towing another car of the same / similar weight, I'd want to use a braked trailer of as low a weight as possible to keep the overall weight down. Even then, I wouldn't want to tow that sort of weight long distance, or too often.

Last edited by 222s; Jul 27th, 2007 at 14:05.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 15:07   #6
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
you've seen how scruffy my car is!
Scruffy is good. Otherwise I'd feel uncomfortable using it like I do in my P1800

Quote:
Although I find that it tows ok (the car & trailer in my sig pic were towed from Surrey to North Devon a few years ago), I've no idea what the actual legal weight is for an Amazon. Unlike a modern car, I suspect that there isn't a set limit so at the (in)discretion of the Feds .
I've got away with towing an Amazon estate with the 940 on a Heavy Brian James trailer. If you get the car positioned correctly on the trailer then you can just sit behind a truck on the motorway (apart from M25 truck rails!) though this would be a no no with the Amazon as you'd be towing nearly twice your weight.
Quote:
The only thing that worried me was the braking, as I don't have a servo. .
I guess a servo is a must

Quote:
My engine is a twin carb B20 with D cam & Simonz exhaust so the extra power & torque certainly helps matters.
I guess lots of low down power would be a must.
Anyway it'd be nice to have a tax free classic Volvo as a tow car one day. I saw a 164 converted to a tow truck on eBay a while back. The larger wheel base and uprated brakes coupled to a 3 litre straight 6 might be the best option.

All the best,

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 23:44   #7
devilishdesigner

yeah, I have a non-O/D sedan and I wouldnt be towing anythign bigger then a light 6x4 trailer, where I live I have enough trouble starting on the steep hills as it is when she's cold. would love a folding back seat in the sedan too, that'd be sweet, oh well, theres enough space to carry lost stuff inside anyway.
devilishdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 00:04   #8
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKat View Post
Excellent... I got this body in mine with the gates shut, it's about 6 foot long
Ah, yes. Use of the Amazon's extended tailgate to transport home some 8x4 sheets of chipboard held in place by my grandad lying flat on his back on top of them resulted in a young policeman following us home and up the drive to ask why we had a body in the back. The body then got out of the car and started walking around, everybody ****ed themselves laughing and the policeman looked like he really wished he just hadn't bothered getting out of bed that morning.

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote