Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snow Chains

Views : 10031

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2008, 23:04   #1
davec

Default Snow Chains

Has anyone got experience of which snow chains to fit to the XC90?

I've always used RUD on previous cars but they only list a special fitment model for the XC90 at about £275 - I think there is insufficient clearance between the inside of the tyre and the suspension strut for standard chains.

Volvo quote standard chains at about £150 or delux at over £400. Has anyone got any experience of using the standard chains? I'm slightly concerned that a respected manufacturer like RUD list a special fitment, but can only assume that a Volvo part should do the job safely?

Thanks, dave
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 14:20   #2
languageservicesco

Default Snow chains

Lived near Innsbruck for eight years and never needed snow chains. Are you sure you need them, Dave? Planning on taking the XC90 to Austria at least a couple of times this winter, but don't plan to buy any. Or do you think it will be necessary if you have summer or all-round tyres? I'm about to order some Nokians, so I think I will be ok.

Kevin
languageservicesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 16:12   #3
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by languageservicesco View Post
Lived near Innsbruck for eight years and never needed snow chains. Are you sure you need them, Dave? Planning on taking the XC90 to Austria at least a couple of times this winter, but don't plan to buy any. Or do you think it will be necessary if you have summer or all-round tyres? I'm about to order some Nokians, so I think I will be ok.

Kevin
I drive at least once a year to Austria and Northern Italy and I am positive I have seen the road signs, that state that chains are mandatory (certain months of the year).

Even with Nokians fitted and if I am correct, chains will also be required.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as it will now be summer 2009, before I can confirm.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 16:36   #4
dodgyken
Master Member

There are times when some roads do need chains. This gives you 2 amusing sites - those who have never fitted their chains - spending an hour learning. And those who don't fit them and then embed themselves in the side of the road.

HOWEVER the likely hood of needing them is small. Through 4 winters of living in Switzlerland and spending most weekends in the snow I have used them once - despite buying 2 sets of chains for different cars.

I do, however, have a set of winter tyres, which on anything other than ice give more than enough traction.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 23:53   #5
davec

thanks for all your comments

tem is right - it is mandatory to carry them when heading in to the French alps

to be honest, I'm not expecting to need them - with the Nokian WR's fitted today the XC looks well booted. I considered just carrying the set of chains I still have for the last car, which are 1 size too small but would probably keep the gendarmes off my back.

I've needed chains 4 or 5 times in the last 4 years - always with Winter tyres fitted but only ever on 2WD cars. With 3 kids in the back I don't want to find I need them heading up the mountain in a blizzard in the dark.

Think I'll keep my eye on ebay and if none turn up before December then it looks like Volvo get my dosh..

Dave
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 09:22   #6
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post
I do, however, have a set of winter tyres, which on anything other than ice give more than enough traction.
Which winter tyres do you use/recommend dk ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 21:09   #7
languageservicesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec View Post
thanks for all your comments

tem is right - it is mandatory to carry them when heading in to the French alps

to be honest, I'm not expecting to need them - with the Nokian WR's fitted today the XC looks well booted. I considered just carrying the set of chains I still have for the last car, which are 1 size too small but would probably keep the gendarmes off my back.

I've needed chains 4 or 5 times in the last 4 years - always with Winter tyres fitted but only ever on 2WD cars. With 3 kids in the back I don't want to find I need them heading up the mountain in a blizzard in the dark.

Think I'll keep my eye on ebay and if none turn up before December then it looks like Volvo get my dosh..

Dave
In Austria I didn't see any roads where chains were mandatory for vehicles with 4-wheel drive, even when the Gendarmerie made them compulsory on specific occasions. Doesn't mean they don't exist though. There's always the option of staying in with a bottle if the snow is too much :-)
Cheers,
Kevin
PS Most of my Tyrolean friends don't actually own any snow chains!

Last edited by languageservicesco; Oct 23rd, 2008 at 21:10. Reason: Extra information
languageservicesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 22:36   #8
Snowman
never knowingly slow

You MUST have them if you're heading into the Three Valleys, in there last year and the Gendarmes were turning cars back without chains heading to Val Thorens after a good snowfall.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 09:13   #9
Rufe
TRADER

I can help a bit with the prices if it helps, for genuine volvo ones i mean -

Click here for further information from Volvo Catalogue......

STANDARD SNOW CHAINS, XC90:
Pn: 16" 30623510 / 17",18" 9155247
Retail Price: £147.76 inc vat
Our Price: £125.60 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £8.00 DHL 48
Availability: will be dispatched the next day if ordered by 4:30pm

OR

"CENTRAX" SNOW CHAINS, XC90:
Pn: 16",17",18" 31201101
Retail Price: £413.69 inc vat
Our Price: £351.63 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £8.00 DHL 48
Availability: Has to come in from Sweden, will normally take 2 - 3 working days to arrive.

Please call us on 01792 790066 if you wish to place an order

Hope this helps,

Simon

<<< FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PHONE: 01792 790066 / 01792 784272 >>>
* YOU MUST QUOTE 'C3' WHEN CALLING FOR OUR BEST PRICES! (weekdays 9am to 5pm) *
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 10:45   #10
tem
Premier Member

Please look at the link below.
Hopefully this will answer the question about snow chains.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...ter-tyres.html

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote