Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Wentworth on Ebay

Views : 1268

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 11:27   #11
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Yes thanks that’s the one.

If I were in the market for a 940 o would get that.

I am not in the market for one and am tempted to contact the seller about it. Seems lovely!
MMnnn not sure about this one, much has been said already regarding age and pricing although they are rarer than some they still age and need keeping up together.
I notice that it has no Alloys or Leather interior typical of the Wentworth but maybe that's probably the purchasers request as the "extras" pack was errm extra.
It's a lot of money for such a standard spec but hey who am l?.........in conclusion though they are all getting rarer and like many l'm not intending to part with mine any time soon.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 11:43   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
MMnnn not sure about this one, much has been said already regarding age and pricing although they are rarer than some they still age and need keeping up together.
I notice that it has no Alloys or Leather interior typical of the Wentworth but maybe that's probably the purchasers request as the "extras" pack was errm extra.
It's a lot of money for such a standard spec but hey who am l?.........in conclusion though they are all getting rarer and like many l'm not intending to part with mine any time soon.
I think there is no doubting their future status. It is interesting what you say, and I do think I would really want the leather interior.

I thought 4.5K was perhaps more reasonable than the crazy 7 or 8k some ask as you point out.

Interesting isn’t it!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 11:48   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I think there is no doubting their future status. It is interesting what you say, and I do think I would really want the leather interior.

I thought 4.5K was perhaps more reasonable than the crazy 7 or 8k some ask as you point out.

Interesting isn’t it!
Prices always seem to fluctuate like this when cars are "emerging classics", there are always "over-optimistic" dealers around who will try and make a fast buck out of cars like these but market forces prevail usually.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 11:57   #14
volvo always
Premier Member

I paid £250 for my 1996 940, 4-5 years ago.

I would buy a late model immaculate 940 with AC fully working and good history/mileage for 2-3k but not more.

I would probably buy a Lexus RX400H if paying 6k. I Like Lexus. Must have a V8 one day. Like The LS 400 and 430.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 12:04   #15
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:

Interesting isn’t it!
With that spec I would say between 2.5k and 3k would be more realistic.

Funny to think I got mine at the end of 2018 for nothing !! Ok she had 120k but had been well looked after. There was a certain amount of recommissioning due to being dry stored for 6 years but she seems like a bargain now ! I'm never selling though so prices are irrelevant to me
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 17:25   #16
TurnipSpeed
TurnipSpeed

Well, my 940 has 190k on the clock, runs great, entire fuel system/ignition replaced as a precaution.
BUT it needs work. Losing coolant( heater matrix done), probably head gasket.
Then worry about the bits that will need replacing in the future( maf meter, turbo, abs sensors, bodywork?).
Still cheaper than buying another, with 25 years of wear!
TurnipSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnipSpeed For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 18:20   #17
1star

I pick my 93 Wentworth 940 up tomorrow morning, full leather, alloys etc and in really good nick, I’ll post pics of it when I get it home but I can’t wait!
1star is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1star For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 19:19   #18
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnipSpeed View Post
Well, my 940 has 190k on the clock, runs great, entire fuel system/ignition replaced as a precaution.
BUT it needs work. Losing coolant( heater matrix done), probably head gasket.
Then worry about the bits that will need replacing in the future( maf meter, turbo, abs sensors, bodywork?).
Still cheaper than buying another, with 25 years of wear!
My 1996 940 with B230FK is on 205,000

I like yours was loosing coolant. Finally found the fault when tracing my no start when the fuel pump was knackered.

In my case on the turbo models the heater control valve was leaking behind the engine. Only found it as replaced the crank sensor.

Have you also replaced the oil cooler hoses, near the oil filter, need to do mine.

Even if it is the head gasket, had a quote a few years ago of £350. Cheaper than another with unknown problems.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 23:23   #19
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1star View Post
I pick my 93 Wentworth 940 up tomorrow morning, full leather, alloys etc and in really good nick, I’ll post pics of it when I get it home but I can’t wait!
Well done,
my Wentworth has done 206,000 now and still runs well, MOT'd again this month and to celebrate our long relationship l'm having all the front resprayed next month (laquer peel) but with no dents and a fair few boxes of spares whats not to like.
Good luck with your purchase and may we see some pics please? this site is a good place to be for all 940 news,views and more importantly support of a marque that is a legend in these unfolding times.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 17:36   #20
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I have been vaguely contemplating getting another 940 because one of mine needs a lot of work. I cannot really justify investing serious money in replacing my third 940 though, particularly since there is a risk the replacement would just become number four.

The current market is a real dilemma. There are some very nice ones where the seller, typically a trader, is asking about twice what anyone would want to pay. Then there are some real dogs, often on farms or surrounded by caravans, where you can see just from the pictures they are not in the condition the seller is claiming.

What puts me off paying top dollar for a 25+ year old car is that it is bound to have some of the age-related problems you’d expect. It wouldn’t be too bad to have to spend a weekend doing the heater matrix on a 200k miler you’d picked up for £500 but you’d be pretty miffed having to launch into that job on an immaculate low mileage example you’d spent £5k+ on.

I think the last para is a key point. All of these cars will eventually need some obscure part (probably plastic, electronic or unique to a particular model) that will take time and money to track down. So, for people in the know, like this forum, there is a sensible price ceiling not to go beyond. What drives the prices up is when the cars become trendy and they are bought as a fashion statement. I think this is what is happening to 740s / 940s now.

I decided reluctantly to supplement my 128k miler 945 (which needs a heater matrix soon) with a 7 year old, low mileage Honda Civic for those short-notice, long journeys to rescue aged parents, grandparent duties and work trips as I was worried about the 940 needing something doing at short notice.

Fortunately having discovered I could put the Volvo on classic insurance I was able to persuade the wife that I should keep it as it still puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Not sure how long I will get away with that one!

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post: