Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Roof lining removal - how to?

Views : 1666

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2010, 20:55   #1
john h
VOC Member

Question Roof lining removal - how to?

Hi

I probably need to remove or partially drop the roof lining from my 164 for restoration work around the rear screen.

Anybody know how it's fitted? There is nothing obviously holding it in place, but it seems very secure and I don't want to force it.

1973 car, by the way.

Thanks for any assistance

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 21:27   #2
laptoprob

Default careful!

Hi John, be very gentle and careful. Clean hands. The lining is just a little flexible, elastic. You must try to pry a piece out of the metal clamp above.
The vinyl-like material is strengthened with a rigid black strip along the edges, which is above the ceiling part itself. The black strip goes all around. The ceiling material is curved around a thin metal edge, the black strip is above that. Along a long side (the side part is longest), you can try to get the black part out. There are soft aluminium strips above, keeping the ceiling stretched. These are connected to the ceiling a few centimeters from the side.
When you have the first stretch of black strip out, you're almost there. Then the black strip gets more room and comes out easily.

Sorry, no pics.
laptoprob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laptoprob For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:04   #3
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptoprob View Post
Hi John, be very gentle and careful. Clean hands. The lining is just a little flexible, elastic. You must try to pry a piece out of the metal clamp above.
The vinyl-like material is strengthened with a rigid black strip along the edges, which is above the ceiling part itself. The black strip goes all around. The ceiling material is curved around a thin metal edge, the black strip is above that. Along a long side (the side part is longest), you can try to get the black part out. There are soft aluminium strips above, keeping the ceiling stretched. These are connected to the ceiling a few centimeters from the side.
When you have the first stretch of black strip out, you're almost there. Then the black strip gets more room and comes out easily.

Sorry, no pics.
Thanks. What actually holds it in place? Are there any brackets/fitings or is it just the spring pressure from the perimeter strip holding it into the clamp?

John

Old May 4th, 2010, 19:46   #4
laptoprob

It's just the spring pressure, John. I think it's a plastic strip curved around the corners.
laptoprob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laptoprob For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2010, 19:27   #5
ian.stone

Hi John,

You might find it’s easier to trash the old one and make a new one. I did this with my 144 which also has a sun roof. The spring crass braces are in pockets which are welded on. My wife sewed some one for me. It gave a much better job.
ian.stone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian.stone For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2010, 21:42   #6
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.stone View Post
Hi John,

You might find it’s easier to trash the old one and make a new one. I did this with my 144 which also has a sun roof. The spring crass braces are in pockets which are welded on. My wife sewed some one for me. It gave a much better job.

Thanks for that, but actually my roofliner is in excellent condition. I was hoping to leave it undisturbed, but I needed to drop the rear section for access for my rust repairs.

Incidentally, did you remove the sunroof panel on yours? I want to fit a new edge seal and, as yet, I haven't figured out how to do that.

Cheers

John

Old Jun 6th, 2010, 16:00   #7
Lesky

Hi John,

The resto is looking superb, by the way! I have a Volvo manual for my '73 164 and it has a section on how to remove the roof liner if you haven't done so already. I can scan it and send it to you as a PDF. PM me with your email.

In my 164, there are two push-in anchors in the back that hold the roof liner up, but my 164 does not have a sunroof. My book also cover those that do have a sunroof.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lesky For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 17:54   #8
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
Hi John,

The resto is looking superb, by the way! I have a Volvo manual for my '73 164 and it has a section on how to remove the roof liner if you haven't done so already. I can scan it and send it to you as a PDF. PM me with your email.

In my 164, there are two push-in anchors in the back that hold the roof liner up, but my 164 does not have a sunroof. My book also cover those that do have a sunroof.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm OK now.

Cheers

John