Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low boost P0234 P0299 problems

Views : 571

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2023, 15:59   #1
andythepandy

Default Low boost P0234 P0299 problems

Hi all been trying to troubleshoot a problem on my wifes car but I am having trouble tracking down the culprit

Car info:
2007 XC90 D5 Euro4
135,000 miles

The issue started a few weeks back with a 'Engine system service required' message on the DIM. It also manifested itself in the car having no boost when under heavy load. My wife has also reported that when it loses power she can hear a woosh noise. I also from memory remember that the car has been making a mild whistle noise on boost for several weeks.

After plugging in my cheapo OBDII sensor the codes that came back were: P0234, P0299, P0601 which I imagine are all related

Also might be related but the Turbo actuator was repaired shortly before purchasing the car in January

I have pulled a few bits off the car this afternoon to check the usual suspects:
All the vacuum lines look in good condition and not perished,
cant see any splits in boost pipes anywhere,
the boost control vale looks ok (might replace this anyway just incase),
the resonator pipe looks secure and not split or loose (again might replace as I know these fail regually),
one of the wires to the Maf was just about hanging on but broke when I moved it (I don't think this was an issue as it threw a MAF fault code up after I broke this)
Other than that where should I be looking?
I can't quite see the intake to the turbo as its obscured but I'll try and get in there

Has anyone got any other ideas as to what I can check?
andythepandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 13:06   #2
andythepandy

Bit of an update in terms of what I've managed to diagnose and look at

I've replaced the Boost control solenoid by the air box, I've check all the vacuum lines except the one at the rear engine mount and they all seem to be in good nick, I removed and cleaned the throttle body and EGR valve which were absolutely caked in carbon and replaced the resonator pipe to the turbo. Haven't checked the intercooler yet but thats next on the list

Still getting the message and codes

I also got my wife to sit in the car and rev and run it earlier to check the movement of the actuator. The actuator seemed to respond fine and move freely when revving. I'll pop the circlip off the actuator when I get a chance and see how free the movement actually is.

The one thing I did notice was a lot of smoke coming from the turbo/egr valve area. Might be a load of muck cooking off since I did the work but could possibly be a gasket thats blown. Could a blown gasket cause and overboost condition?

Also going to give it an Italian tune later and see what happens
andythepandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, p0234, turbo, xc90