Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Main dealers so called service

Views : 2556

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2011, 17:38   #1
shamus5178

Default Main dealers so called service

Hello all, have had my S40 2.0D for just over a week and have just got round to changing the air filter to a K&N one. Anyway, took the old one out and it clearly hadn't been changed for quite a while, which is a bit strange as the MAIN VOLVO DEALER I bought it from assured me a service had been completed about three weeks before.

Now, am going back to said dealers on Wed to have the condenser changed under warranty, I have also kept said "recently changed filter" and am taking it in with me aswell.

Thoughts on how I should proceed with this please.....
shamus5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 17:43   #2
Metblackrat

The air filter only gets changed every other service so they will probably claim it was an intermediate service they did.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 17:53   #3
shamus5178

It also says in the manual that the DPF changed at 6 yrs or 75000 which ever first, the car is 2005 and 57k, do you think it was changed aswell?
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 18:40   #4
Gel

Exclamation

In the paperwork is there a copy of the service check list that they issue?
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 19:09   #5
shamus5178

Nope, all I have is a dealer stamp in the log book, they must have a print out on their system?
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 19:28   #6
tayandre

Reminds me of a friend who faithfully used a VW main dealer to service his Golf. Once the car got to 5 years old he decided to use an independant.

The guy did a full service on the car and found the fuel filter was the original fitted to the car when it was manufactured. The date was stamped on the filter. Fortunately he still had all the receipts and went back to complain as he had been charged for two fuel filters. He got £100, a free MOT and the offer of a half price service (declined obviously).

Makes you wonder is it worth asking for all the parts back, even then there's no guarantee they came off your car. I know I won't be using any Volvo dealer in 60 miles radius of me. Average to poor experiences in all, Parks Ayr, Verve Kilmarnock and Taggarts in Glasgow.
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 19:29   #7
Gel

Talking

Before revealing your concern, first ask if they can do you a print out of last service; say you always like to have file copy.

Go outside and see if air filter change is ticked!
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 19:42   #8
shamus5178

Cunning, like the idea, will try this, whats your thought on the DPF? would bet money this hasnt been touched even though it at its six year point..
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 19:44   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus5178 View Post
Hello all, have had my S40 2.0D for just over a week and have just got round to changing the air filter to a K&N one. Anyway, took the old one out and it clearly hadn't been changed for quite a while, which is a bit strange as the MAIN VOLVO DEALER I bought it from assured me a service had been completed about three weeks before.

Now, am going back to said dealers on Wed to have the condenser changed under warranty, I have also kept said "recently changed filter" and am taking it in with me aswell.

Thoughts on how I should proceed with this please.....
the air filter should be changed every 36000 mile service or 3 year service , your low mileage would be the latter . Was the last service in your book headed a 72000 mile service ? When the air filter comes out to be changed at the correct interval it is invariably quite dirty .
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 19:46   #10
Michael J
Master Member

How things have moved on... The specified interval for air filter element change used to be 24,000 miles. Mind you, they used to use big filters.

Ed: ah, I see from the post above that things remain much as they were. Good show.