Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Main dealers so called service

Views : 2557

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2011, 19:49   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

yes ! spark plugs are 75000 miles now and fuel filter died out when the V50 came out in 2004
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 20:08   #12
Michael J
Master Member

Yes, I'm aware that spark plugs now last almost indefinitely.

(I recently bought a set for when I get round to a decent engine service and was quite surprised at the life expected of the new standard replacements for a 240. It used to be every Intermediate and Annual service, i.e. 6,000 miles or six-monthly change, I think it unlikely that I'll need to buy more for quite a few years.)
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 21:28   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
Yes, I'm aware that spark plugs now last almost indefinitely.

(I recently bought a set for when I get round to a decent engine service and was quite surprised at the life expected of the new standard replacements for a 240. It used to be every Intermediate and Annual service, i.e. 6,000 miles or six-monthly change, I think it unlikely that I'll need to buy more for quite a few years.)
A 48000 mile service on a 240 used to take most of the day , valve clearances checked AND adjusted , all the filters , gearbox oil change axle oil change , Fan belts tensioned , points , Dwell angle set ( i made my own dwell meter from an article in Practical Electronics , it lasted until points died out in 1984 ) Ignition timing set , handbrake adjusted , CO set on the co adjuster which always meant adjusting the carburettor jet , wash the engine off + all the things you do today on a service .
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 21:58   #14
Project239X
The Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
Reminds me of a friend who faithfully used a VW main dealer to service his Golf. Once the car got to 5 years old he decided to use an independant.

The guy did a full service on the car and found the fuel filter was the original fitted to the car when it was manufactured. The date was stamped on the filter. Fortunately he still had all the receipts and went back to complain as he had been charged for two fuel filters. He got £100, a free MOT and the offer of a half price service (declined obviously).

Makes you wonder is it worth asking for all the parts back, even then there's no guarantee they came off your car. I know I won't be using any Volvo dealer in 60 miles radius of me. Average to poor experiences in all, Parks Ayr, Verve Kilmarnock and Taggarts in Glasgow.
Please tell me more, I just bought a new V50 and I love it to bits, and it's entire service history is at Parks Ayr.....
Project239X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 22:04   #15
Michael J
Master Member

@Clan,

Adjusting the valve clearances shouldn't be particularly time-consuming - and there's little point checking unless you're prepared to correct them as required. Seeing as you are a main dealer, you ought to have a bucket of shims (see what I did there?) for just that purpose. You also ought to have the correct tools for the job... and hopefully enough brain to do simple arithmetic.

Those old maintenance programmes were something else though, weren't they?

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 18:35   #16
tayandre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project239X View Post
Please tell me more, I just bought a new V50 and I love it to bits, and it's entire service history is at Parks Ayr.....
Found had to go back several times to get simple warranty jobs done properly, they rarely have service items like wiper blades in stock and they never call to say when parts are in.

Service work seems to have been done ok. Not had any problems there but their 'customer service' is not good. We have to use them for our V70 as it's a lease car through Volvo.
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 18:41   #17
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

ALWAYS ask for the old parts to be left in the boot.

Also - top up your washer fluid, cool, PAS fluid (check the levels are all good) bet you they will try and rip you for those, and you can see their faces when you tell them you double checked all of them just prior to the service, and you'd like to see the manager.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:17   #18
shamus5178

"Clan" was right, it wasn't part of the 5yr or 62 000 service schedule, its in getting the other bits sorted today (hope)
shamus5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 19:15   #19
shamus5178

Car all fixed, new condenser, new spare key, investigated -16 temp gauge, but of course it was working fine today, they have said if it does it again, they will replace under warranty. While I was there, I asked about the price of 6 yr, 72k service, all in, main dealership, including VAT.........

£1112.49
shamus5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 16:25   #20
EndhooS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus5178 View Post
Car all fixed, new condenser, new spare key, investigated -16 temp gauge, but of course it was working fine today, they have said if it does it again, they will replace under warranty. While I was there, I asked about the price of 6 yr, 72k service, all in, main dealership, including VAT.........

£1112.49
f*cking hell. I'm on the cusp of needing that service and i'll be mortified if i have to pay anywhere near that although i will be using an independent thats for sure.
EndhooS is offline   Reply With Quote