Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front wheel nearly fell of after power steering service!

Views : 1079

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2011, 13:23   #1
davS40

Default Front wheel nearly fell of after power steering service!

Hi all,

Do you need to remove the front wheel to access the power steering pump of an 2005 Volvo S40?
The reason I ask is my front wheel nearly fell off after a service on the PS pump.

The nuts on the front wheel, on the side where the pump is, were all just hand tightened. This was only noticed because I had to change a puncture. The owner of the garage said the wheel was not removed when accessing the pump. He said it can be removed without taking off the front wheel.

Is there any reason you would remove the wheel to access the pump?
davS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 15:40   #2
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Not sure of the answer to your question but I would advise you check the thread on all your nuts to see if they look worn or cross threaded an replace if necessary.

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 15:48   #3
davS40

Thanks for the reply, BigMonkeyNutz,
The wheel has not given me any trouble since the nuts were tightened properly (a good 2000kms ago at this stage now) but to be double sure, I will check the nuts again just in case.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 17:09   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

The front right (should be the side) needs to be removed in order to access the pump - OR remove the whole front end of the car... Thrus, depending on either hydraulic or electro hydraulic pump, it will be easier to access the power steering pump, which is on the cambelt end of the engine (driver's side) through the wheel well -> inside section is removeable to access the front of the engine...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 17:56   #5
davS40

Yeah, the pump (and loose wheel) were on the same side (right hand/drivers side).

So, if he didn't remove the whole front of the car, he had no other choice than to remove the right wheel and access the pump through the wheel well?

I'll only be dealing with reputable garages in future, I've had nothing but lies and trouble from this crew.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 19:22   #6
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by davS40 View Post
Yeah, the pump (and loose wheel) were on the same side (right hand/drivers side).

So, if he didn't remove the whole front of the car, he had no other choice than to remove the right wheel and access the pump through the wheel well?

I'll only be dealing with reputable garages in future, I've had nothing but lies and trouble from this crew.
Exactly! Ask him, how he managed to get to the pump. If he says through the engine bay, he is lieing. If he say he took the front off, then it is a very stupid coincidence. Otherwise he removed the wheel and wheel well.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 20:55   #7
C30 Driver

Is it allowed on here to name and shame?
C30 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 21:56   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davS40 View Post
Hi all,

Do you need to remove the front wheel to access the power steering pump of an 2005 Volvo S40?
The reason I ask is my front wheel nearly fell off after a service on the PS pump.

The nuts on the front wheel, on the side where the pump is, were all just hand tightened. This was only noticed because I had to change a puncture. The owner of the garage said the wheel was not removed when accessing the pump. He said it can be removed without taking off the front wheel.

Is there any reason you would remove the wheel to access the pump?
No you have to take off the bumper cover to remove or do anything with the pump , taking the wheel off is no advantage , although the pump is mounted just forward of the wheel , some of the retaining nuts and the 2 electrical plugs are at the forward end of the pump, hence the bumper cover has to come off . .
Nowhere in the volvo literature will you find it says remove the wheel ..
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 10:52   #9
davS40

Thanks for all the replies,

I'm still confused as to the description I was giving by the garage owner of how the pump was accessed. He said it was taken out without removing the wheel, or the bumper. He said the pump comes out by unbolting the pump and taking it out from underneath the car. He didn't mention removing the bumper at all.

This wouldn't be the first lie I've been told by this crew though.
I was told a new part was going into the car and when I checked it was a second-hand/reconditioned part. It's been no end of torturer with this crowd.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 22:36   #10
Multiplex

If the garage is telling you he got the pump out without removing the bumper then he is in the wrong trade, he should have been a gynaecologist!

The "Volvo" way does not state that removal of any road wheel is necessary (as Clan mentioned earlier)

However, to a "Non Volvo" mechanic, on first glance he proably thought - i will remove the wheel, unscrew the wing liner and get to the pump that way. Ahh, i cant get to the EPAS mounting bolts so i will have to remove the bumper.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote