Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Could this be an issue with glow plugs?

Views : 1605

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2014, 16:03   #1
bcookie

Default Could this be an issue with glow plugs?

Afternoon all,

Great fan of my V50 2.0D '05 and its done me proud thus far (140k and counting!)...however from a cold start the engine suffers from some serious vibration / irregular knocking / blue smoke & odour until the engine is up to pressure...but once it's warm it idles with no problem/no smoke and runs with no issue at all (i.e aceleration is fine/no lag).

I've taken it to a few local independants (non volvo) and have had mixed feedback even with diagnostics - the last garage thought it might be glow plugs and possibly an issue with the EGC, eventhough the unit was replaced 24months ago. However, the one before that wasn't sure and thought more serious investigation was required.

Eitherway just wondered if any other V50 drivers has experienced anything similar so that I could narrow the field of search down? Any thoughts appreciated.
bcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 16:32   #2
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

Once the engine is warm and up to temp, If you turn it off and restart the engine do you get any kind of bad start issues such as vibration or knocking?

Any chance you are able to get a video of the car starting inside the cabin?

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 17:17   #3
bcookie

Hi VenomS40, thanks for respnding.

I've just restarted the car with the temp gauge at about 1/4 and though it starts immediately, the idle does feel a little rough. I've taken a vid of both start up from cold (from this morning) and also from inside the cabin this afternoon, but the files are pretty big...can email separately if you dont mind taking a look?

Thanks
bcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 20:10   #4
VenomS40

Reason for asking as I've only ever seen blue smoke come from the back of mine but mine sometimes sounds rough and very violent on start up almost like the engine mount is broke but I've checked the engine and it doesn't rock. I thought it was a poor battery but it fixed for a few weeks but still have the odd hiccup on start up. I put it down to a failing alternator as mines done some miles. Wanted to see what yours looks like to compare the two and see if its the same as what I'm experiencing?

Only thing I can put down to the blue smoke on mine was that fact that if the starter is struggling to get the motor stated then you could have excess fuel in the cylinders on start up?

Old May 27th, 2014, 20:13   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Unlikely to be glow plugs. That would create unburned fuel resulting in white smoke.
It's very easy to test your own glow plugs without paying for a garage's "expertise".
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198018
Old May 27th, 2014, 20:18   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
Reason for asking as I've only ever seen blue smoke come from the back of mine but mine sometimes sounds rough and very violent on start up almost like the engine mount is broke but I've checked the engine and it doesn't rock. I thought it was a poor battery but it fixed for a few weeks but still have the odd hiccup on start up. I put it down to a failing alternator as mines done some miles
It's very easy to test your alternator performance with a cheap multimeter. Saves a lot of guesswork.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2014, 20:30   #7
138gat
138gat

Had a similar problem with my S40 2.0D, knocking,clanging, banging and smoke, mine got to the point where it was undriveable even when fully warmed up,
Local independant had injectors proffessionally cleaned and tested, not 100% straight away but after a couple of weeks it settled down and has been A1 ever since, apart from having to change the fuel pressure sensor but that was a different issue
Good luck
138gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 20:37   #8
VenomS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
It's very easy to test your alternator performance with a cheap multimeter. Saves a lot of guesswork.
How would I do that please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138gat View Post
Had a similar problem with my S40 2.0D, knocking,clanging, banging and smoke, mine got to the point where it was undriveable even when fully warmed up,
Local independant had injectors proffessionally cleaned and tested, not 100% straight away but after a couple of weeks it settled down and has been A1 ever since, apart from having to change the fuel pressure sensor but that was a different issue
Good luck
I'm planning on getting mine terracleaned in the next few weeks, this should clean a good proportion of the crap out.

Old May 27th, 2014, 22:24   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
How would I do that please?
blueacid explains it simply enough in this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...99#post1653699
Comment #7