Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Contemplating buying V70 2.4D with high mileage

Views : 9560

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:33   #1
ajc555

Default Contemplating buying V70 2.4D with high mileage

I have owned a C70 2.4lpt previously and loved it. I am now looking to buy a high mileage V70 (2009) 2.4D R Design. I am concerned that with 155k miles on the clock I might end up with a lot of bills over the next 4 years. Can anyone advise me as to whether the 2.4D unit is a reliable unit and can I reasonably expect it to last quite easily to 200k without too much trouble. Does it really return 47mps on a combined cycle?

What are the 2.0D units like for reliability once they have turned 100k miles?

Thanks for your help folks.
ajc555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 13:01   #2
ians

They are a reliable engine and do high mileages if it sounds sweet now no reason anything should go wrong as long as you follow the service schedule. Check the service history. Mine as 133000 on a 2008 and touch wood running sweet the economy could be better but I love the car
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ians For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 17:13   #3
ajc555

Default Contemplating buying 2.4d V70

Cheers for the info Ians, what kind of mpg are you getting from yours? When I look it up in the book it tells me that the 2.4d (175bhp) V70 should return 47.1 mpg which I think is terrific. It would be my ideal choice over the lesser powered 2.0d unit which only manages to beat the mpg by less than 1mpg, CO2 emissions are similar too.

I know that the Volvo diesels run and run but I believe that the 2.od units are from Ford, perhaps not quite so robust and reliable.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 18:40   #4
stimperley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc555 View Post
Cheers for the info Ians, what kind of mpg are you getting from yours? When I look it up in the book it tells me that the 2.4d (175bhp) V70 should return 47.1 mpg which I think is terrific. It would be my ideal choice over the lesser powered 2.0d unit which only manages to beat the mpg by less than 1mpg, CO2 emissions are similar too.

I know that the Volvo diesels run and run but I believe that the 2.od units are from Ford, perhaps not quite so robust and reliable.
You might coax that mpg out of one with a manual gearbox, driving economically on a long run. Unlikely in day to day use and no chance with a geartronic - they seem to use at least 25% more than manuals.

We are looking for an XC70 and I am hanging out for a manual for that reason but most are autos.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 19:43   #5
Blue 8
Premier Member

That is a lot of miles for a 4 year old car strong engine or not.

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 20:19   #6
coughlanc

Smile

I've just bought this with 192,000 miles on it. Engine sounds perfect and pulls hard with no smoke. Very happy with it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/05-Volvo-S...p2047675.l2557
coughlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coughlanc For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 22:38   #7
tommyweaves
Premier Member

With high mileage cars that aren't excessively old it's always going to be a gamble and a judgement call. I think the post above is a good example of that, if you know what you're looking at, and how the engine should sound and perform then you can make that call. If you don't have any experience of how the car should behave when relatively new and in excellent condition you have no benchmark to judge the car.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:24   #8
ajc555

Default Contemplating buying 2.4d V70

Thanks for the posts people. Geartronic out of the question for me, appreciate the reasoning behind the loss of mpg (my C70 was geartronic). Currently running a 55 plate vw passat 1.9tdi 105 bhp SE estate with 140k on it, runs like a dream and can still achieve 47-52 mpg combined depending on length of journey. If VW says that car does 47.9 on combined run I would hopefully get around the 47 that Volvo quote for the 175bhp 2.4D unit. As for the mileage I know of some running in to 200-300k and still going.

Think I'm going to hae to bite the bullet and test the water with the garage and get it backed by a good 12 month warranty. The car looks mint and belies its 155k mile history.

When does the cambelt kit need replacing on these, is it at 80k intervals?

Appreciate your helpful comments.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:55   #9
AlanR

Default High mileage - tell me about it!!

I have just finished with my dearly beloved 740GLE (1989) estate whose odometer packed up at 358,000 miles and I reckon since to have added at least another 100k. Passed MOTs regularly, but other equipment started to fail which was annoying rather than dangerous. Things like tailgate lock cylinder seized, headlamp washers failed, inerior looks tatty, fuel guage is history, heated seats don't etc etc.

Now driving 54plate V70 which is sooooooooooo lovely its unbelieveable and hope to get similar life from.

Years ago I was told by a wise old mechanic - always opt for a large expensive old car rather than a cheaper newer smaller car, and I have to say his advice has been well bourne out by my experience. Expensive cars have a generally better build quality so by reason tend to last longer. There will always be exceptions of course.

So as others have said - if it looks good and sounds sweet - dont be too concerned - would be my ten penneth!
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlanR For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 13:56   #10
ajc555

Thumbs up Contemplating buying 2.4d V70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
I have just finished with my dearly beloved 740GLE (1989) estate whose odometer packed up at 358,000 miles and I reckon since to have added at least another 100k. Passed MOTs regularly, but other equipment started to fail which was annoying rather than dangerous. Things like tailgate lock cylinder seized, headlamp washers failed, inerior looks tatty, fuel guage is history, heated seats don't etc etc.

Now driving 54plate V70 which is sooooooooooo lovely its unbelieveable and hope to get similar life from.

Years ago I was told by a wise old mechanic - always opt for a large expensive old car rather than a cheaper newer smaller car, and I have to say his advice has been well bourne out by my experience. Expensive cars have a generally better build quality so by reason tend to last longer. There will always be exceptions of course.

So as others have said - if it looks good and sounds sweet - dont be too concerned - would be my ten penneth!
That's what I like to hear Alan.