Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rough idle when hot

Views : 1892

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2022, 09:07   #1
urban60

Default Rough idle when hot

My S80 has developed rough idle when engine is hot and only when hot. Engine is very quiet and steady when cold and has absolutely no indication that anything is wrong. Car also pulls with no problem (hot or cold), power is there when you need it and floor it. Fuel consumption is normal and also there's no smoke whatsoever. There is some smoke smell in the cabin though, but only when engine is hot. I don't know if this is somehow connected to other two issues I have:

- RPMs start to fluctuate when coming to a stop (breaking or cruising - a bit more evident when breaking). Engine won't stall, but it definitely drops significantly. But as soon as I stop this big fluctuation stops, but then that rough idle comes in. This is not happening if I step on a clutch (coming to a stop breaking). As soon as I release the clutch, RPMs start to fluctuate (coming to a stop breaking). This problem is regardless of the engine temperature.

- When car sits for a while (let's say 8hrs) it starts "weirdly". It turns over but it will hang on 700 RPM for a few seconds and after that it will jump to > 1000 RPMs. Meanwhile nothing electrical is working (no lights, gas pedal not responsive, no radio, no fuel capacity level, ...). I can also hear that in this short time the RPMs are slowly rising and after that RPM jumps again to a 1000 RPMs. So it's something like: first stage fast rising to 700 then second stage slowly rising to 700-710ish and the last stage fast rise to 1000. This is only happening sometimes, but a lot more often lately. Please see the video below.

These two problems were already present when I got the car on 01.10.2019 @298.000km.

Rough idle dissapears when I turn on the AC, as the engine gets more load. Other two problems are not affected by the AC.

Service history (chronologically):
- Oil and oil filter changes are made on 10.000-13.000km interval w/ Castrol Edge 0w30 A5 and OEM or MANN filter
- Fuel filter 10.10.2019 (FRAM) 298.000km
- MAP sensor (Bosch) 11.12.2020 @333.000km
- Cleaned Throttle body 11.12.2020 @333.000km (also changed the gasket)
- Fuel filter 23.03.2021 (OEM) 340.000km
- Air filter 23.03.2021 (OEM) @340.000km
- Rough idle started 17.08.2021 @353.000km
- EGR clean (not thoroughly, only what I could manage to scrape out) 05.12.2021 @360.000
- Fuel filter 25.02.2022 (MANN) @367.000km

VIDA shows no trouble codes.
I'll be more than happy to fetch you more data if you'll need it.

Attached:
- First two videos show that "weird" start, the third video shows that RPM fluctuations when breaking and rough idle (at the end of the video). This one is a bit shaky - I'm sorry for that, I can also try to record a better video. Also please turn up the volume at the end of the video (on this third one) to hear that rough idle. The last video is just idle engine (cold).
- Images from Vida showing different parameters. This was recorded when engine is hot. Interesting is that one image showing injectors (one having a 39 r/min difference is quite big, right?).
- Image of inside of EGR valve after cleaning

Car:
Volvo s80 2.4D D5244T5 M66 my2009

Weird start #1:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Weird start #2:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

RPM fluctuations and rough idle:
+ YouTube Video

Engine idle (cold - so the IDLE is fine. ther's some popping noise tho):
+ YouTube Video
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (59.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (54.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (54.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (56.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (45.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20211104_190506.jpg (158.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by urban60; Mar 17th, 2022 at 09:42.
urban60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 11:23   #2
passenger
Master Member

Really dont know what could be. Also VIDA dont show error on my D5, but when it's warm engine and if I press clutch while slowing down, rpm are jumping like by you. Once I drove 80.90 kmh and pressed clutch, put in neutral and let clucht and after 5-6s jumping rpm, engine stalled. Also waiting on traffic light rpms are jumping.

The worst is on my engine if it's in neutral and clucht is not pressed, then rpms are getting crazy
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 11:28   #3
passenger
Master Member

That noise wjen remove fuel cap can be ftom vaccum pump. Soon I will change engine mount and while there, I will see what is with valve on vacuum pump. If I find problem, I will let you know.
I dont hear strange noise at all. Mostly is from injectors
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 11:44   #4
urban60

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post
That noise wjen remove fuel cap can be ftom vaccum pump. Soon I will change engine mount and while there, I will see what is with valve on vacuum pump. If I find problem, I will let you know.
I dont hear strange noise at all. Mostly is from injectors
Currently I'm not at home, so I'll record a video of rough idle later and post it here. This video of cold engine idle doesn't show that I know, I'm sorry. Although one can probably hear some bad hydraulic lifters, but that's off-topic.
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 19:18   #5
passenger
Master Member

We need to change them asap. Around 300€ parts with sealings and 250€ is work in my country. Probably I will go in summer there and change them
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 06:42   #6
urban60

So I tried to record that rough idle and it just wouldn't... So if it's so "random" at same conditions (same fuel, same whether and same driving conditions) we can guess that something is dirty, seized up or clogged? If it's faulty sensor then I guess that roughness in idle would show every time the engine is hot?
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 12:21   #7
urban60

I want to post an update as it has been 3 days without rough idle. Possible solution was 1 liter of "Antigrippante 25" diesel additive into the 1/4 of a tank and then blast it on the highway. I'll pour another liter of it when reserve will come up and come back with the results after 2 weeks I guess.

That weird cold start up is still unresolved if someone has any idea, I'll be grateful.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 15:53   #8
passenger
Master Member

You are from Slovenia?
If so, go to that Volvo guru in Maribor. He use to work for Volvo and now he is Volvo independent mech. I made termin by him last year but corona...
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 09:26   #9
urban60

Yesterday I put another liter of Antigrippante 25 in the tank on a reserve and blast it on the highway. Currently the engine runs really smooth without any roughness in idle, so I guess that's it. I'll still clean the EGR valve when I'll have time.

Yes, I'm from Slovenia. You mean Bauman? I guess I'll have to stop by to get this cold start up checked. For now I'm guessing the starter motor maybe. It has some weird sound to it.
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 11:17   #10
passenger
Master Member

Yes, his is the guy. If I would drive 700km to him, you can also 70 km

Guys from Volvo SLO are calling him when they cannot resolve some case

I will ask friend to send me that from SLO. And say Janša to resign me in books of born in SLO. They deleted me in war lol

Last edited by passenger; Mar 25th, 2022 at 11:19.

Tags
diesel, dirty fuel, idle