Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anybody for a bit of advice

Views : 1266

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 16:00   #1
Dr B

Smile Anybody for a bit of advice

Hi. First time post, hopefully I the right place. I’m having some problems with my 2008 s40 2.0D .I assumed it was turbo related as the symptoms That are present are rough startup, poor mpg and poor performance. I removed the large egr pipe on top. I then noticed where the egr pipe meets roughly the MAF sensor the joining rubber pipe that goes to intake manifold is covered in thick oil inside. I also noticed there is a broken wire to the fuel temperature sensor. I intend cleaning the egr and anything I can access. Should I been assuming that the turbo is failing or is there a chance fixing the fuel temperature sensor would help with the performance. The last owner said he scanned a fault saying” turbo underboosting:!code p0229, i think.It’s got 350,000 miles so it’s never gonna be perfect. Thanks for any input in advance.
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 19:34   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

1: Assume nothing. 2: Fix the fuel temperature sensor, it's there for a purpose. 3: Get a proper (preferably Vida) code read, clear the codes and see what comes back.

Then go on from there.

PS. Welcome !
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 17:42   #3
Dr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
1: Assume nothing. 2: Fix the fuel temperature sensor, it's there for a purpose. 3: Get a proper (preferably Vida) code read, clear the codes and see what comes back.

Then go on from there.

PS. Welcome !
After reading a bunch it could be a myriad of things. I’ve ordered an bid scanner to help. Thanks for replying. I’ve only ever worked on petrol non turbo systems. I thought vida was the official manufacturer diagnostic tool. It’s very expensive I thought. Anyways thanks again👍👍
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 17:03   #4
Dr B

Fixed by replacing fuel temp. sensor. Also cleaned boost pressure sensor filter and Maf sensor and throttle body.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr B For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 17:20   #5
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr B View Post
Fixed by replacing fuel temp. sensor. Also cleaned boost pressure sensor filter and Maf sensor and throttle body.
Thanks for giving your feedback with the solution. So few people do .
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 16:58   #6
Dr B

Quote:

Then go on from there.

PS. Welcome !
Thanks mate, learned alot from VIDA of the chinese copy. new problem now is icant fit the silver immobilleser bezel antenna thing to marry the immobilser and transponder. it should pop in. sorry for **** spelling, cant find glasses. it wont start again but its not throwing any codes. i popped it off by accident and and cant get it on car wint start, im gonna look a rite idiot in the vovlo garage alright, thanks fo help. its this thing below https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133434904269
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 14:20   #7
Dr B

Smile

Quote:

Then go on from there.

PS. Welcome !
Cheers mate, wires frim the fuel temp sensor were fine but i noticed a split hose, all good, thank you for helping me,
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 15:12   #8
Sotosound
Premier Member

350,000 miles from a Ford/PSA 2-litre diesel engine that often only manages to achieve half that mileage?

That's amazing!

If it makes 351,000 it has to be worthy of a big celebration.

Please keep us updated on how you get on.
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 22:42   #9
ST420

Default overcooling

Hi I'm new here, I have issues with my 1.8 Volvo v50 (B4184s11 Ford engine) now I've replaced thermostat assuming it was stuck open, I also replaced coolant temp sensor and had a good look at coolant pump all is good, correct coolant and bleed procedure but still overcooling I'm not sure if this model has a coolant bypass valve? and if that may be the issue any help would be much appreciated

car gets to running temp pretty quick with the heater fan blower off but whilst driving along with the heater fan blowing half power the engine temp goes one notch down from half way (running temp) to two notches own full heater fan speed very quick to drop coolant temp no warning lights on dash at all
ST420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 23:40   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST420 View Post
Hi I'm new here, I have issues with my 1.8 Volvo v50 (B4184s11 Ford engine) now I've replaced thermostat assuming it was stuck open, I also replaced coolant temp sensor and had a good look at coolant pump all is good, correct coolant and bleed procedure but still overcooling I'm not sure if this model has a coolant bypass valve? and if that may be the issue any help would be much appreciated

car gets to running temp pretty quick with the heater fan blower off but whilst driving along with the heater fan blowing half power the engine temp goes one notch down from half way (running temp) to two notches own full heater fan speed very quick to drop coolant temp no warning lights on dash at all
Did you fit a genuine volvo thermostat of the correct temperature rating? 92C preferably..?

Tags
diesel, epg, s40, turbo, v50