Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl valves replaced now car wont start

Views : 1685

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2023, 12:46   #1
andythepandy

Default Swirl valves replaced now car wont start

Hi all as the title suggests I have recently replaced the swirl valves and now the car wont start.

I had all the injectors out cleaned them and reinstalled them, fuel filter has been replaced too

The engine will crank but not fire up. I have checked the low pressure fuel hose to the fuel pressure pump and that primes just fine. I have tried undoing the fuel unions going into the injectors to bleed any air out whilst cranking the engine a few times to no avail. There seems to be fuel going into the injectors but it just won't fire up.

Does an one have any ideas what I can check to try to get the car going.

It was working fine before and since everything has been apart it doesn't want to start
andythepandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 16:25   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

as you have done multiple thing to your car its hard to catch a guess at the fault a small thing for future reference is to do one thing at a time then when a problem appears you can work back with what could have gone wrong i know its easy to be wise after the event . but a code read may indicate where the problem lies double check all electrical plugs are connected it easy to miss one if the car has been apart for a long time
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 07:34   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Non starting diesel is usually very simple to diagnose…. It’s either low fuel pressure in the common rail or no injector pulse.

You need an appropriate code reader - check the fuel rail pressure on cranking, and camshaft/crankshaft position sensor signals.

Assuming the fuel system has been bled okay (both for the filter change and high pressure side strip down) I bet it’s an electrical connector left off or not seated.

How did you bleed the system following filter change etc?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 11:46   #4
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

When i did mine. it wouldn't start. after checking fuel etc, I cranked the engine constantly for about 30 to 45 seconds and it started. worth a try if you haven't already tried this. Ian
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 11:51   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

^^^^^ Prior to that I would switch the ignition on for 5 seconds, then off, repeat 10 times. This should fill the filter & bowl.

When you turn the ignition on, the electric fuel pump in the tank runs for a few seconds to make sure the system is primed.

You could also try a bit of Easy Start into the air filter housing.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 15:48   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythepandy View Post
Hi all as the title suggests I have recently replaced the swirl valves and now the car wont start.

I had all the injectors out cleaned them and reinstalled them, fuel filter has been replaced too

The engine will crank but not fire up. I have checked the low pressure fuel hose to the fuel pressure pump and that primes just fine. I have tried undoing the fuel unions going into the injectors to bleed any air out whilst cranking the engine a few times to no avail. There seems to be fuel going into the injectors but it just won't fire up.

Does an one have any ideas what I can check to try to get the car going.

It was working fine before and since everything has been apart it doesn't want to start
Have you checked the leak back flows from the injector return pipes? Disturbing the injectors may have put the death on one weak injector leaking all the diesel back to the tank not building up pressure.
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 11:58   #7
andythepandy

Cheers all thank you for the advice. I was having trouble with my diagnostics kit not communicating with VIDA so thought I would investigate a few other bits and found that I was getting leak back from injectors 1 & 2!
Hallelujah!
Got the car started now but getting a 'SOOT FILTER FULL' message since the works done. I'm guessing this will either mean the DPF needs replacing or a regen needs doing?
I had originally done this work as I have an 'ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED' message. Would this message be caused by the DPF being full seeing as this message came before the Soot filter full message or not?
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 08:57   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

What car do you have?

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 09:03   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythepandy View Post
Cheers all thank you for the advice. I was having trouble with my diagnostics kit not communicating with VIDA so thought I would investigate a few other bits and found that I was getting leak back from injectors 1 & 2!
Hallelujah!
Got the car started now but getting a 'SOOT FILTER FULL' message since the works done. I'm guessing this will either mean the DPF needs replacing or a regen needs doing?
I had originally done this work as I have an 'ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED' message. Would this message be caused by the DPF being full seeing as this message came before the Soot filter full message or not?
Personally I would remove the dpf and clean it, usually on a d5 to get that message there is something else wrong which is causing over fuelling - maybe a boost leak.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 09:55   #10
andythepandy

Car is a 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 185

Ok I'll stick that on the to do list

It would make sense that I now have this as the original issue I was trying to fix was a boost issue, or I assumed it was as I was getting an overboost and underboost error code along with a MAF code. This displayed as an ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE message on the dash
I have checked all the inlet pipework and there are no leaks I can see. I have replaced the resonator pipe and pressure tested the intercooler which seems to hold pressure. I queried it being the VNT and took it for a quick blast to see if I could free it off. During the drive I completely lost boost and it has not come back at all.
I'm a bit stumped now. Where would you look next?

Tags
diesel, swirl flaps, wont start, xc90